ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get an AWD car (WRX) to drift??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again

Well, thanks again fellas. I appreciate all the kind words and the encouragement!!! I am just going to wait until it rains and start with that. Yes, I am very lucky to have the abandon airfield. It was an old Army Aircore Training field used during WW2. Only a few know about it too, so at the most 3 cars will be out there at any given time. Salute to you all. One thing that I have figured out. ANYONE CAN DRIVE IN A STRAIT LINE AND SHIFT GEARS BUT IT'S GUYS LIKE YOU THAT ARE THE REAL GODS OF RACING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRoadster
      like i said worn down tires throw cool sparks, and they drift the best too!

haha and the hunnies love it...

i agree Have fun with it.... dont give up!

Thrill
      i dont think they drift the best... but it sure does look cool.

but personally i hate the way theres NO GRIP! lol

Comment

my wrx (wagon also) is hard to drift IMO, so i mostly grip it (plus my wife would kill me if i destroyed her baby....yes she has the faster car as i'm stuck with the mx-5 LOL). from the factory it had a nasty understeer when pushed hard, now it's fairly neutral w/ the addition of a whiteline rear bar and 40mm drop springs. but i'd love to figure out how to put in an elect. center diff. w/ the switch like some of the skylines run...that would rock the house! in japan they take out the front axels and weld it all up so it's RWD...i don't think i'll be doing that to my '03 Rex!

but if you tune the suspension right it might not be too hard. when you think about it...the only difference in a "drift" suspension and a "circuit" suspension is the settings and the tires. drifters will run a more agressive front alignment (more neg. camber and pos. caster) and a more close to stock rear alignment (closer to 0/0). a circuit suspension will have aggresssive settings all the way around. drifters run sticky tires on front and hard tires in rear...circuit sticky all around.

basically it's possible, but will require lots of speed, balls, and just the right suspension setup. i've posted some treads on the NASIOC forum about WRX drifting...but most of those guys are into autoX and grip....so not a lot of help. wrx drifting is a different breed and you'll be out there mostly on your on

Comment

how to drift a wrx

I was in your position last year but i started messing around in parking lots. there is not much info on the web on this subject because most of awd drifting is hardcore and scary(like the ken block gymkhanna videos).

Take the traction control off !mportant

practice in the rain. you can do the same stuff slower with less power input. you will save tiers and wont stress your car.

(this works alot better in the rain) Normal drifting(like around turns and stuff) I have an 08 wrx and i have figured out how to drift it. With a subie, the way to drift is to fade in, that means dont jerk the steering wheel like you would to swing a rwd but just turn in slowly while increasing power. Start your rpms near high boost/tq. I dont know what year wrx you have but my peak tp is between 3-4k rpm If your getting understeer (that pushing forward feeling) your turning in too much/hard. one important thing is that you do not always need to counter-steer. once your sliding, the steering should be reactionary to what the car is doing.
          the guys are right; setup can help you. I have low profile tires and tien s tech lowering springs and that helps alot. i have heard that putting a thicker sway-bar on the back will help alot but i like to keep the car more neutral.
          another thing you can do is trick your awd computer by playing with the ebrake. do this by pulling the ebrake just a lil to put friction on the rear wheels(do not stop the wheels just pull it a lil). this will cause the computer to put more power to the rear to react to the extra friction. when turning in and applying throttle like i said above, put the ebrake down this will get them to break traction.(this is a great trick i learned from forums online)

(this can be done dry or wet) a great way to start a drift (not used for drift turns like you see in tokyo drift but for parking lots or wide open spaces) is to start out going about 15-20 miles an hour. keep the car in first gear but push the clutch down, then jerk the steering wheel hard as you rip the ebrake(ur ebrake needs to be functional) once you break traction (this should rotate the car at-least 45 degrees off your original line) rev it up and dump the clutch. this should throw you into a doughnut(this is really fun). i havent done this in months but im pretty sure i had my right foot pinned during this. adjust your steering so you can take it wider and wider. once you break traction (the ebrake-doughnut i mentioned previously) you need to keep the wheels spinning to keep drifting do not let off the gas. you should be-able to change direction once you get your doughnut pretty wide.

enjoy bro
          and know that everyone on this website is completely jealous of the fact that you have an airfield to mess around in

just a side note, dont do this on public roads with curbs/trees/other big objects, i did and hit a curb. I broke both the left axels, wheels and almost every suspension component. the frame was fine thank god but i didnt report it to insurance and now im down 8300$$$$$

silver 08 wrx hatch
          xpt stage 1 tune (230whp 285wtq)
          aem CAI
          Tien S-tech springs
          SPT catback
          Cobb Access-port
          jl audio sub and amp
          tint
          enkie ev5 wheels 18x7.5 wrapped with toyo proxxess s

Comment

I'm choking on the dust you blew off this thread.

Comment

wow i think this is the oldest revival i've witnessed. bravo.

Comment

I drifted my friends 03 WRX with tein suspension and it was a lot of fun. stock power so just high speed, feint, and floor it!

Comment

Working...
                X