ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

???LSD, Spool Locker, Welded diff, welded spider gears???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ???LSD, Spool Locker, Welded diff, welded spider gears???

Ok so I have been using the ever elusive SEARCH BUTTON! LE GASP!! I have been learning a lot, but I keep hearing these terms. Limited slip differential (which I understand how that works), but then I hear these other terms like spool locker, welded diff, welded spider gears. Are all these things doing basically the same thing, just different ways of getting the job done???

Spool and locker are not the same thing. There are multiple types of lockers. Welded and welded spider gears are the same thing. Welded and spool act the same but a spool is the proper way to go. They don't all do the same thing except for spool and welded. All of them make it easier to get sideways but that's the only similarity.

If you're on a tight budget, welding is the way to go but you gotta know how to weld it.

Comment

Yep.

Here's my diff. Note how the gears are welded to the carrier itself.

You can kinda see how i packed weld between the gears in this last one.
      Lots of heat, crank the gas and turn the wire feed up!

This was the first one i welded. The gears that are adjacent to the diff bearings have 3 overlapped beads on each side, the gears on the same sides as the bearings have 2 beads. I melted the gears together first and packed as much wire as i possibly could in before i started welded the gears to the carrier.

Excuse the crappy craftsmenship. This was the first thing i had welded in over 4 years. I did two the same day and the second one i sold looked much better. This went into my car about 2 months ago and i've yet to put the beating on it but my other welded is still going strong on the guys car so this one should hold up fine too.
      Last edited by NoPistons!; 05-03-2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

i believe that the uglier it looks, the better itll hold up

plus its not like your going to see it, as long as you penetrate it good enough youll be fine.

Comment

In the UK we tend to weld steel plates between the spider gears too for added strength. Do be careful though, these diffs put more stress on the rest of the drivetrain.

Comment

Yep. Plate it if you can.

Comment

looks like a FC diff. your stub axle will break before the weld does, it looks plenty strong.

Comment

plate=bad.... my friends and i both had plates also welded into the teeth then ended up falling out on mine getting stuck between my ring gear and pinion that was a fun event. my friends just broke free but the plates didnt come out of the carrier. When welding a diff its all about penetrating the metal of the spider gears if you do that its solid and you'll break axles and driveshafts before the rear gives out

Comment

Originally posted by jefferz View Post
                  plate=bad.... my friends and i both had plates also welded into the teeth then ended up falling out on mine getting stuck between my ring gear and pinion that was a fun event.
                  Bad welding right there. Imagine if just the gears were welded up, they'd be more likely to spit some of that poor welding out and that will lock up your CWP as surely as a plate will.

Comment

Tell that to pbm/psm.

Yes, it's an fc diff. Stubshafts and diff should be fine. 205's with a considerable stretch and i'm only pushing 100whp of 1.3L bone stock n/a 2 rotor juice.

Comment

if its welded right it should never break

Comment

Working...
                      X