Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straight is boring. i like sideways

heloo. my names michael. i currently have a mazdaspeed protege

mines the black one. and although its a great auto x car its fwd......so that leaves me hanging in the drift department. i was deciding between a 240 or a fc rx7 but i like to buy or do cars different than everyone. thus why i bought a msp lol. i was readin up on some threads and it seems the reason why fc are harder to drift is cause they are balanced so well and that to steer thing?

im an avid mazda guy and id love to have a rotary so i think i'll go with a fc instead of a 240 since every highschool kid i know has one and fronts about drifting. although i do love the sleighty conversions.... lol!

but i was crunchin some numbers last night and it seems in 4 months i can get a fc rx7 and either have about 3 grand left over to do a turbo II swap or just mod it from there with the na engine. if i did that the mods id get would be seats, coilovers, and that toe steer elem thing. and of course some seat time! let me know what u guys think or if you have any suggestions. i appreciate it

1. Get a N/A FC.
    2. Learn to drift.
    3. Worry about mods.

To be fair it sounds like you've got the right idea, as long as you don't go crazy on it and end up in the garage for six months instead of on the circuit going sideways you'll be fine. Remember to get a 2-way limited slip diff in there or weld the open diff up, it makes controlling a slide soooooo much easier. You don't need engine mods to start, in fact I'm of the opinion that they make people lazy.

Here, have some motivation:

Comment

It's important to understand both sides of performance driving. It depends on what your goals are with drifting, but in order to be a well rounded driving, it is good to understand both grip and drift techniques. Frankly, you should get to a point were they just blend together and it doesn't really matter what the car is doing. It's all about learning car control and learning the science behind it. Straight or sideways should pretty much stop mattering.

You might also think about a Miata as a viable route too. As much as you may like rotary, it's been some time since the RX7 was made. A Miata is probably a little more cost effective. This is sort of the burden of the old cars just getting older. I mean when you're talking about a FC, you're talking about a 20 year old car, a car that you can buy collectors plates for. There is some inherent challenge there. A newer option will let you get oem parts easier and have a more active and massive aftermarket to support modification. Pricing on a RX7 is not all that great either. You're still paying $5k-$6k easy on average for a 20 year old car with a lot of miles and questionable wear. For the same cost you can get a Miata that's 10 years newer. You can hop into an old Miata for chump change too. If you don't mind a 20 year old car, an early 90's Miata will only run you a couple grand.

Tossing out another random suggestion, old Bimmers are nice routes too.

Just keep your options open.

Comment

Working...
      X