Question about torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about torque

i was wondering, is torque important in drifting.

".........."

google for the definition of torque and than you tell me.

The second you read it, you will hav answered your question.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
        ".........."

google for the definition of torque and than you tell me.

The second you read it, you will hav answered your question.
        i think what he meant was "how is torque important" o r "how is torque used"
        listen up bullet. torque is important when you drive becuase it gives you traction from the wheels to the ground. i can keep goin on endlessly but for the sake of arguement try this: http://people.howstuffworks.com/
        also you can look up "LSD" while you're at it

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper
          torque is important when you drive becuase it gives you traction from the wheels to the ground.
          This made less then zero sense. It actually does the opposite...it fights to break traction.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
            This made less then zero sense. It actually does the opposite...it fights to break traction.
            oops thanx for correcting me on that lol

Comment

Torque provides the force to accelerate the car, horsepower keeps it going; to put it in absolutely simple words.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                Torque provides the force to accelerate the car, horsepower keeps it going; to put it in absolutely simple words.
                I don't think you can make it simple enough around here.

Comment

Man what's with people nowadays. Just explain to the man about how torque is used, we don't need any ".........."

Comment

Originally posted by rwd polak
                    Man what's with people nowadays. Just explain to the man about how torque is used, we don't need any ".........."

Yeah but asking what torque is is a bit OFF from how it's used. Without getting tooo gramatical, there's torque as in lbs of torque your engine pulls, torque as in torquing your lug nuts...

When most people think of torque, burnouts are what's thought of. Without getting too technical, low end torque usually makes this happen, as well as your LSD's type and setting. But dont say your car torqued off the starting line cus you'll sound retarded. For the most part torque is simply half of a formula that determines horsepower... the other half being revs or RPMs ( think it's [TQxRPM]/5262=HP but dont quote me boy I aint said shît). That and to answer your question, drifting = your back tires breaking loose = burning out.

So no, TORQUE is irrelevant to drifting or grip, you mean to ask HORSEPOWER... and we all like that. Depending on how your engine is set up, either for low end torque or high end rpms, there should be a sweet spot for breaking your rear tires loose (im talking about RWD of course), but then you gotta remember that then there's your LSD, gear ratios, weight ratio, traction, suspension, seatbelt, fuzzy dice, grandma... that all come into play as well.
                    Last edited by FreightPheen; 08-24-2004, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightPheen
                      Close!

Comment

...you know what....i'm gonna leave this to Grid to clean up...I don't have the energy.

Comment

www.howstuffworks.com

Comment

Thanks Parry!

Just read the how stuff works and don't ask a question like this again.

Please don't offer your advice on things about which you know about diddly-squat.

Actually, torque is what will fight to break the tires loose and horsepower will keep them spinning. So without enough torque, a car won't be able to break traction with power alone, and without enough horsepower, a car won't be able to keep the tires spinning long enough.

By the way, some cars torque off the starting line... their frames torsionally distort.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                              Please don't offer your advice on things about which you know about diddly-squat.
                              As much as i love cracking skulls, in the name of drifting.com ima keep this civil. You're getting into grammar here buddy, not correcting a word misuse. As for calling me out with AND using the word "diddly-squat".... lol do your thang. There's always gonna be a demographic sporting 1930's vocab.
                              Last edited by FreightPheen; 08-25-2004, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X