Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malcolm
    well, I guess there are two ways to do a clutch kick:

One: keep your foot on the throttle. The surge of acceleration will break the rear loose, and you can slide through the corner.

Two: keep your foot OFF the throttle. The sudden engagement of the clutch when the engine is just a little too slow will also break the rear loose, and you can slide through the corner. This version is just like a slightly softer version of a shift-lock, but just a sudden kick of the clutch while off the throttle instead of doing a downshift as well.

With my MR2, unless I am doing it wrong, the first version doesn't help me, and I just understeer into the corner. Also, I would be accelerating into the corner, therefore my entry speed would need to be slower to allow for the surge of acceleration. With an off-throttle clutch kick, it helps me slow down, so I can go in faster.
    i take it your a newb to drifting in general. You will get ten times the angle with a clutch kick than you ever will with a simple weight transfer. Add feinte and clutch kick togther and than your have damn good angle. Your talking out of your *Censored**Censored**Censored* and you also power over to much. Theres only one way to clutch kick that is full throtle and kick the clutch what the other one you are talking about makes no sense unless your doing a nice 3rd or 4th gear pull.
    And i hope you know a shift lock is even worse for you car even more so how you do it. You let off the throtle and let the revs drop than let go this way your engine goes from 2k to 7k in a second which is not good and a very bad way of drifting as it totaly unsettles your car and usaly is a pain to keep a line with.

every one drifts differnt not one way is wrong but there all differnt saying its wrong is just stupid and ignorant.
    Try both, and see what works for you and your car.

Comment

I personally like weight transfer techniques to initate drifts better. Clutch kick is like cheating in a way. Learn all the different type of techniques of drifting. Like heel-toe downshifting, feint, etc... There are tons of techniques to be mastered.

BTW, from what I've read so far. D1 judges love drivers wide open throttle through every drift... Which would require some sort of harsh drift initiation like Clutch kicks...

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
        I personally like weight transfer techniques to initate drifts better. Clutch kick is like cheating in a way. Learn all the different type of techniques of drifting. Like heel-toe downshifting, feint, etc... There are tons of techniques to be mastered.

BTW, from what I've read so far. D1 judges love drivers wide open throttle through every drift... Which would require some sort of harsh drift initiation like Clutch kicks...

Matt.
        I don't think it is cheating. All the methods and the Fancy names have a time a place to use them. i just use what is best at the time. But cluctch kick is my favorite especially if the car is understeering for some reason this obviously can end up not so pretty if you do not know what you are doing

Comment

ok any one that says somthing is cheating when drifting is a total moron. The name of the game is side ways and any way possiable. So basicaly craftsman from what i read about you is that you don't like clutch kick or the e brake so you like power over a lot. Which is one of the most un skilled ways of doing it.

And heal toe shifting has nothing with getting the car side ways just a good way to shift and not un settle the car.

and you have to mix and match you can feinte power over feinte clutch kick or just feinte which from my experince has a lot of under steer and needs a lot of high speed. You can even feinte clutch kick and ebrake.

pay attention not one method will help you out but all. I feinte clutch kick most of the time kinda hard to power over in a 90 whp car.

Comment

I only use power over and feint when I drift my green car. I would have to disagree that power over is the most unskilled way to initiate a drift. You need a certain ammount of confidence to do a successfull power over initiate. Considering that you are gaining speed entering the turn, the possibility of something going wrong is greater than something like using the handbrake, where you lose a bit of speed. And you will learn alot about weight transfer when you experiment with power over. The most unskilled way of initiating is using the handbrake, plain and simple. Nobody gives respect to guys that initiate with the handbrake all the time because its really easy (hence a good way to learn how to drift).

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
              I only use power over and feint when I drift my green car. I would have to disagree that power over is the most unskilled way to initiate a drift. You need a certain ammount of confidence to do a successfull power over initiate. Considering that you are gaining speed entering the turn, the possibility of something going wrong is greater than something like using the handbrake, where you lose a bit of speed. And you will learn alot about weight transfer when you experiment with power over. The most unskilled way of initiating is using the handbrake, plain and simple. Nobody gives respect to guys that initiate with the handbrake all the time because its really easy (hence a good way to learn how to drift).
              I would just like to point out that there's a bit of misunderstanding regarding the handbrake drift. I agree that it can be a simple way, but basically it's not about the technique but how you use it. There's a difference between going slowly into the corner and pull the handbrake and using it to adjust brakebalance like the pro's.

Not sure about you US guys, but from my own experience as well as watching the D1 guys, it's not just pulling the handbrake and go sideways. I enter a corner at maximum racing speed, then brake a little too late to be able to stay on the brakes while turning into the corner. Once I have the weight on the front wheels I use the handbrake to adjust braking power to the rear wheels. Sometimes locking them completely, sometimes hardly applying pressure at all. It all depends on the corner, and as previously pointed out, drifting is not about using one single technique! It's about combining them in the best possible way to make the car go as sideways and fast as possible. And amateur e-brake drifts is different from race speed e-brake drifts. If handbrake is cheating, then so is every other technique.

And yes, powersliding is the easiest by far!

Power over (powerslide) = Easy
              Faint = Quite easy
              E-brake = Very easy if going slow - quite hard when entering a corner at 85mph and balancing brake/e-brake
              Brake drift = Hard, as it takes confidence to brake too late on purpose

Comment

i take it your a newb to drifting in general.
                nope, I've been drifting for years. However, I haven't been to competitions or schools because I am too busy with racing.

Your talking out of your a** and you also power over to much.
                Um, I never "power-over" because I don't have the power, idiot. I almost always use feint. Rarely, I use it in conjuction with a tiny dip of the clutch when I am off the throttle. I let it drop maybe 500 - 700 rpm, and let up the clutch just fast enough that it breaks traction in the rear. More of a clutch dab than a clutch kick.

And i hope you know a shift lock is even worse for you car even more so how you do it.
                Gee, thanks Mr. Obvious! I never use shift lock. I was using it as a COMPARISON, since both methods allow the revs to drop. Learn how to read.

every one drifts differnt not one way is wrong but there all differnt saying its wrong is just stupid and ignorant.
                you say this, then include a quote from my post, where I say: "Try both, and see what works for you and your car." **I never said one was wrong.** If it works for you, then great, it works. If it doesn't, try something else.

READ WHAT I SAY BEFORE YOU RESPOND TO ME ABOUT IT.

Comment

Woah now, I was talking about using the handbrake to initiate, not correct angle while sliding. Big difference. I know exactly what you are talking about, and I was not dissing the handbrake in any way. Its my opinion that initiating with the handbrake is the easiest way to initiate a drift. Instant results and lower speeds. If a power over was the easiest way to initiate a drift then that would probably be the first technique people learn when they learn how to drift. And I'm not saying its impossible, but people usually dont have the confidence to commit to that type of drift when they are just learning (same with a braking drift). I have to say the majority of the people that I know that drift, first learned using the handbrake to initiate at lower speeds (inc me). So to me this makes the handbrake initiate the most "unskilled" of the bunch. People that were able to commit to a power over were considered skilled. Where you go from there depends on the driver, everyone has different experiences. Like for me I was able to learn the feint and brake drift before I had the confidence to commit to a full power over. I couldnt really put any of these techniques in order in terms of difficulty because everyone is different. But I can tell you that initiating with the handbrake is the easiest and the power over technique requires a certain ammount of skill.

Comment

i don't see how using the ebrake is looked down on...?

kumakubo uses that ebrake like a mad man...lol...

feint plus clutch....i <3 it....

but it takes real balls too do accel off into a corner...i started with accel off rather than ebrake cause my ebrake was rap and didn't stop the rearwheels...so i jus plunged into a corner and let off the gas to iniate a drift...
                    Last edited by Nemesis; 08-26-2004, 08:26 AM.

Comment

!!!!PLEASE READ!!!!

This thread wasn't meant to let people question others' integrity as a drifter, racer, or human. I think it's been established that clutch kicking is a viable method for initiating a drift, but people with older cars or people who don't want to subject their vehicle to undo wear and tear shouldn't use it. It's great for competitions when the judges look for it, but let's try not to let drifting be reduced to a "clutch kick fest," just because it's the preferred method by some competitors. Different situations call for different methods, and you need to be proficiant in all of them to be a consistent and competion-level drifter. Including clutch kick.

Comment

It's okay to disagree...Just don't attack other people. People get too pigeonholed in the named techniques (I blame that text file floating around on the internet).

When I first started out I used braking drift all the time, not even ebrake...Back then Drift Day hadn't started yet so this was at Buttonwillow and Streets of Willow...I thought to myself that clutch kicking was sort of cheating too...At least it's an unnatural technique that has no application outside drifting.

It must have been after January 2003 that I first was taught how to clutch kick. I remember I didn't know how in the Ikaten USA that they did at Irwindale back then. Anyway, once I learned it, (after a lot of spinning out) I also learned that you won't be able to do what your D1 heros are doing unless you get on it too.

It all made a lot more sense after I realized that they were all doing it! Initiating on the straightaway before the corner without a lot of power almost forces you to use it. (plus a nice feint, also helps). For what it's worth, I'll restate that when I do a clutch kick my right foot never ever gets off the gas. If I do, it ain't gonna work.

If you have enough entry speed, the e-brake can work quite well to produce the LONG slide in...but if you use the clutch kick with the same speed, it will be cooler (or in a Corolla, you won't have enough wheel speed to exit the corner without it). Essentially the clutch kick unsettles the rear in the same way as the e-brake, but instead of losing speed, you "gain" speed (not really, but at least you gain wheel speed).

On a slightly different topic, the use of the e-brake in general went through a series of stages for me...From the beginner initiation (though I was taught to go into the corner as fast as I could, build up the cornering force, then grab the e-brake) up until I learned some other techniques. Well, as I got more experienced I learned that you need to start using the ebrake again to correct your line and angle (the brake balancing trick mentioned by other posters in here). I rode with Chris Forsberg and he was grabbing the ebrake all the time. He said he started doing it more after riding with Kumakubo. Those D1 guys use it all the time!

</rambling>

Comment

Wow flame...

Ok, I won't call anyone an idiot or insult anyone because of their opinion. If you think I'm an idiot fine...

When I say cheat I don't mean cheat in the cheating sense. When I say cheat, I'm refering to weight transfer techniques. For me, I try and use weight transfer techniques and overloading the friction circle using weight transfer techniques. Anyone can kick their clutch and initiate a drift... (Well not anyone, but you get my idea...)

My point in saying all that was to point out that there are several other techniques that can be used to initiate and hold drifts. Nothing else.

Matt.

(Man ToneDef, you're not making friends here quick... Honestly, I think you need to stop with the personal attacks, if you think I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. Do you have any friends? Do you need one?)
                          Last edited by Craftsman; 08-26-2004, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                            Wow flame...

Ok, I won't call anyone an idiot or insult anyone because of their opinion. If you think I'm an idiot fine...

When I say cheat I don't mean cheat in the cheating sense. When I say cheat, I'm refering to weight transfer techniques. For me, I try and use weight transfer techniques and overloading the friction circle using weight transfer techniques. Anyone can kick their clutch and initiate a drift... (Well not anyone, but you get my idea...)

My point in saying all that was to point out that there are several other techniques that can be used to initiate and hold drifts. Nothing else.

Matt.

(Man ToneDef, you're not making friends here quick... Honestly, I think you need to stop with the personal attacks, if you think I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. Do you have any friends? Do you need one?)

I don't really care about internet freind big deal but i did get banned so i'll settle down. From my exprience the best way to start a drift is clutch kick if i try to just feinte my line blows and i can't control the drift like i can with a feinte clutch kick.

all in all this is s stupid topic. CLutch kick is a valid way to get your car side ways watch a video with ueo's foot work and than come back and tell me its cheating. Get side ways any way possiable thats the name of the game

Comment

word

Comment

i just use whatever works.. and usually a clutch kick alone wont get my car sideways.. it's sorta feint plus clutch kick.. or ebrake.. or shift lock.. whatever works just use it .. but clutch kick is sumthin i use alot.. i aint broken anything yet on my s13.. i busted a link in my rear end one time in my 86 but whatever .. it's drifting crap breaks anyways

Comment

Working...
                                X