No announcement yet.

Clutch Kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i used to do a braking and shift lock/clutch kick drift at the same time. I would come up to the corner in fourth gear, downshift to third, then shift lock into second and let off the brakes just before i let the clutch go for high angle drifts

Comment

i used clutch kick all the freakin time...and then i payed the price. when you clutch kick, it sends a jolt through the tranny...so repeated clutch kick will knock the syncros out of line...and then your tranny doesnt like to shift. my personal suggestion would be to clutch kick alot only if you have a way to rebuild, or if nothing else, just over haul the tranny like every 6 months....but tahts just me....

Comment

When you "pop" the clutch, is this when you clutch kick?

Comment

yes, essentialy. basically you come into the entrance to a corner, clutch in, floor the gas, turn in, and drop the clutch. the back end slides around and you have to counter immediatly... i think it really only takes few tries to ge the timing down if you are familiar with the car...i find it quite easy, but hard on the car like i said before

Comment

Tried Shift-lock, car doesnt like it but it works.

Tried Clutch Kick, LSD is half worn so it goes open-wheel.

Make sure your suspension is up to scratch and all the bushes are servicable before you try anything really.

I learnt the hard way, shift-locking into a corner at 50mph (80km/h). The car understeered, so i gave it throttle, the oversteered and i hit that gutter hard, broke the rim, bent the axle and nearly went through a fence.

Braking drift is my main style of drift at the moment and it works well for me.

Comment

I read some of the posts on this thread and I just want to say a few things.

Seems like a few of you here like to use trial brake drift. That's what Tsuchiya (drift king) uses himself and it's the fundamental. It works very well and it does take experience to pull it off. It also works good when you need to be conservative: on the streets, following another car when tandem drifting. However, trial brake or ebrake drifts is too conservative for competition because you are already slowing the car down in the process when initiating the drift. As many here already know, the judges want to see you initiate the drift as early as possible. Yes, big feint is not preferred in competition. The ultimate style is to break loose the car as early as possible with just a clutch kick. You need lots of speed and be very agreesive to do so. So the car will look like it just goes sideway in an instant into the direction of the turn. Either way, you want maximum entry speed and to get that, the only option is to not use any brakes or even lift in the process to break the car loose. Therefore, clutch kick is always preferrd in competition.
              Hubert Young
              KORE 8 Films

Comment

Handy bit of info there motdyn_s14. ONce i get my LSD sorted out a locked up tighter, i will try it again.

Comment

Here to save the day

http://homepage.mac.com/gkawano/heel%20and%20toe.mov

Comment

yes, i noticed that when executing a braking drift, my car would exit about 5-10 mph slower than entrance, but when clutch kicking, i could enter at 35 and exit at 55, where as the best braking i got was enter at 80 and exit at 75. i would very much have liked to give it a whirl in a competition, but my car broke before we got anything sanctioned, and money issues stalled everything, untill this summer, which all the comps here are already over.... so i guess what starts on the street must stay on the street...lol j/k, that was rather stupid..lol just for joke...

Comment

There you go, if your going all out in a competition use the clutch kick. If your just in your daily-drifter then use whatever the heck you want to initate the drift, clutch kick, feint, ebrake, braking. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter to me as long as you know what your doing and your out of my way.

Comment

i clutch kick a whole lot... so how do i know if my syncros are fu#ked up. Can you hear it?

Comment

the clutch kick

To be honest the clutch kick is a technique used to help underpowered cars exit corners in a drift. If you think about it an underpowered car will not have enought power to power over through the corner to the exit. So then you would clutch kick to carry the drift throught to the corner exit.

This however should not be a technique of initiating a drift. There are certain techniques used to initiate a drift: Braking,Shiftlock,Feint,and Kansai drifting.

Braking is the most proper way to shift the wait of the car to the front tires, therfore causing the rear of the car to become lighter. When this happens the rear of the car tends to slide, initiating the drift.

Shiftlock is initiated by downshifting at the corner entry with out matching the rpms, causing the rear to lock. (Try it in a straight line first to get the feeling of the rear end locking up before trying to go straight into a drift.) As you turn into the corner the rear slides out like in the braking drift. Then you will have the accelerator to the floor. When your motor is weak and looses the power then you need to Cutch kick to maintain the drift.

Feint is like the braking technique in the way of weight transfer. When approaching the corner entry, turn away from the corner for a split second then whip the wheel back at the corner entry. This causes a massive weight transfer from one side of the car to the other initiatingthe drift. then the rest is the same.

Kansai Drift is more like all the methods at once. As i explain i will try to point out the likes. When entering a corner at high speed just letting off the throttle will cause the rear end to get lighter.(like the braking drift) Since you are at a high speed your rpms should be high before entering the corner(at the top of a gear 2nd or 3rd.) So when you let off it almost acts like a shiftlock. When you enter the corner the rear automatically starts to slide due to the weight transfer from entering the corner. (feint) Then power over or clutch kick when needed.

when beging i suggest using the ebrake to initiate the drift. Points : 1.the parts effected are cheap and easy to replace, 2.that is what the ebrake is used for, 3.Tsuchiya said so. lol

Next time you see a real drifter, try to get a split video so you can see his feet. when initiating the drift they NEVER clutch kick.

P.S. If a drifter uses his or her car the way it is meant to be used the no one should have a problem with parts for a while.

Noobs: stock up on used tires for the rear! Never buy expensive tires for practice.

TO ALL: Have fun!!!!

Comment

When you drift midships, you are going to need a little trail brake
                            and also you need to trail brake when you are "drifting" an ff or awd
                            but, the reving clutch drop is what i do for fr's and it works really well.
                            shift lock damages your transmission, ebrake is too hassle-some (i like my hand on the shifter and not move it). there are many more but clutch drop is by far my favorite technique for fr's

and by the way, kansai is most effective in ff's because you are slowing down the front wheels, just like in a braking drift
                            Last edited by ; 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Reply to footwork

WHy isint clutch kick a method to initiate a drift? I always use clutch kick for the following reasons;

1) It doesn kills speed like shift lock and ebrake
                              2) It preserves the drivetrain more than shift lock
                              3) Tail slides quicker out than various other methods. well then again methods are subjected to individual preferences. Clutch kicks looks okay for U turns more than 90.

Comment

i can't believe anyone actually uses that shift lock bs

i always clutch kick or if i need to scrub speed i ebrake

clutch kicking isn't just for lower powered cars, and i'm not a fan of using it to "help exit corners" like the guy a few posts above said

Comment

Working...
                                X