Grip vs Drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip vs Drift

I keep hearing on this forum that drifting is for show and fun but has little practicle application in racing. It is a given that due to rapid tire wear it is not practicle in circut racing but what about a simple a to b corner entrance to exit time and recovery. This is a subject that i am not an expert on but feel it needs to be discussed and settled with scientific a physical evidence that people apart of this forum may be able to provide.

not the right question for this forum.
    -reason being? ...a lot of speculations, and not real world experience.

Comment

Alot of people have mixed feelings on this. Mey personal take on it is that Drifting is rarely faster than grip during cornering. But there are times that it is better. If you did it in say a road race at Road Atlanta, you'd be blackflagged so fast or wrecked that it wouldn"t be funny. Grip is an entirely different monster than Drift. But I do believe that Grip need's be learned before you even think about Drifting. Grip teaches you an inordinate amount kn knowledge that you will use and modify for Drifting. It will also teach you car control and ease with your vehicle.

Because that first time you hang that rear end out, it is scary. I still feel a little kooky whenever I do.

Comment

not the right question for this forum.
        -reason being? ...a lot of speculations, and not real world experience.

exactly, so if noone here is skilled enough to compare, someone must know who is and ask them.

Comment

why are people so affraid of this subject

Comment

i would have to say drifting is only best on short tight swervy corners where u can slide around it faster then gripping would going from outside to inside

Comment

i would say drifting tactically is best for nothing over a good line. i would say it does increase your driving skills tremendously through learning car control. You have to face it, drifting isnt racing, d1 isnt f1.

i would have to say drifting is only best on short tight swervy corners where u can slide around it faster then gripping would going from outside to inside
              yea that could possibly be true

Comment

I think that all drifters need to grip first. A newb can't just strap teh seat belt on and go sideways in the corner, he/she wouldn't know the line, apex, ect ect. Anyone that can grip with confidence can drift with just as much if not more. Gripping, in my opinion, better the driver skills and most importantly car control. When grip driving, when u push it, u slide the rear, and know the limits of the car as well. I don't have a RWD car, I went from FWD grip driving (getting the rear out was common for me) to AWD grip/drift driving. In AWD, the difference of grip and drift is almost enough to scare the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* outta u. I learned and got use to getting sideways after it rains.

Comment

RE:

Drifting can be a good way to not get passed =\

Comment

Drifting is a good way to lose a race, Inital D is a cartoon...In a real race...the only time a drift is going to help out... is maybe a slight slip of the rear wheels during a high speed S-curve... big giant drifts are almost pointless in a real race, because your pointlessly spinning your tires making no headway.. and your sidling sideways slowing your self down...

Comment

so you are saying that the hairpin tsuchiya was demonstrating different methods of drifting on would have been taken faster if he were to grip through the turn. (in the same car)

Comment

RE:

Yep.

Comment

you sure he wouldnt of understeered with that entry speed

Comment

No one knows what there talking about. Drifting is faster in SOME cases, rarely, but sometimes. Lets not let this go any further.

Comment

RE:

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                              you sure he wouldnt of understeered with that entry speed

Dude wtf. If you think drifting is faster, take your car to the track and give it a shot. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Who knows, who cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X