Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *wonders where the guy is here who drifts his truck and has videos of it*

Comment

• I dont have vids, but here's a pic from one of our drift sessions (courtesy of ImportCulture.Com)

Malcolm, I dont know why you are making a fuss. I didn't know that was a joke, but I still stand by what I said. If you actually think the drifting you see at D1 and the drifting you see at Dirt Track racing is the same then I honestly dont know what to say. You do realize that Dirt Track is the grassroots level of NASCAR right?

Comment

• haha, dude, I am not talking about Cletus and his '78 Chevy Monte Carlo street stock, rippin up the 1/4 mile dog track with dreams of being the next dale junior.

Ever seen world of outlaws at eldora? That's "dirt track" too... man, if you look down on that "drifting" I don't know what to say either. Those guys flick those ultra-light, very powerful, winged-sprinters into huge drift angles way faster than any other vehicle I've seen.

On a side note. I am not really into oval stuff, but anything like a WoO sprinter... man, I'd love to get behind the wheel of one of those things. think about it... about 1/3 the weight of your Camaro, with 2 or 3 times the power... not a bad ratio if you ask me... then think about that giant wing. They produce tire-smoke on dirt... they pull wheelies coming out of the corners (with the fronts getting a foot of air). Awesome sh*t.

Anyway, all in all, it really doesn't matter. I agree that the nascar sanctioned dirt track stuff is boring as hell, but some of the other stuff is just awesome.

Comment

• as long as they can pass tech i see no reason why they shouldnt be able to enter events.

Comment

• Look, all I'm saying here is that they are different. I think Dirt Track racing with street chassis cars is awesome. The guy that helps me build my cars used to race Dirt Track, and we always discuss incorporating his Dirt Track style of modifications to my Camaro that I am building for Drift. Alot of that chassis prep can apply to my car, but the suspension tuning is completely different. Dirt Track suspension setup is geared towards getting the most traction since they race. The drifting you see on the Dirt Track is not the same as the drifting you see in the D1. I'm not "looking down" on one or the other, and I dont think one is "better" than the other either. All I'm saying is that they are NOT the same thing. Why are they different? Simple, because Dirt Track racing is a race and D1 drifting is a show. Dirt Track drivers win based on placement, period. D1 drivers win based on speed, angle, appearance, etc, all things determined by a panel of judges. And thats the real key there, judges. Do you know of any races that have the winner determined by judges? No. Dirt Track drivers slide their cars because its the fastest way to take those turns. D1 drifters slide their car because they want to exhibit complete control and show off. They look the same in one way or another but they are not the same because they are done for different reasons.

Comment

• What I am saying is that both require many of the same basic techniques. Off-throttle, braking, and feint (to a lesser degree) are used on dirt ovals. Of course, the single objective (race vs. style) is different. However, in both cases, the drivers are trying to go as fast as possible through the given corne. The difference, technique-wise is this:

-the drifter must find the best compromise between drift angle and speed through the corner.

-the dirt tracker must find the best angle to attain the maximum speed through the corner.

So, both are trying to find the best angle in relation to speed. The angles end up being pretty much the same. Therefore similar techniques must be used to get the car sideways in both arenas of motorsport.

The two are very similar. They use a lot of the same techniques. It's like comparing different breeds of dogs. Each breed can be used for different purposes, but we all know they are all dogs, and they are all very similar. I believe the same applies to sliding a car sideways. It can be used to go fast on loose surfaces, or it can be used for show... We can all get caught up with the "true definition" of drifting, what it means, how it makes you feel, blah blah blah, but when it comes right down to it, the basic act of oversteering a car is pretty much the same, no matter where you do it.

Comment

• Well whatever then. If you think they're the same thing then good for you. Having someone that has built, tuned, and raced his own Dirt Track cars compare Dirt Track to Drifting (after riding with me) has made the differences clear to me. Similar in some ways but far from the same thing. I could continue on, but whats the use? It appears your opinion will never change regardless of what I say. This thread deserves to die now.

Comment

• theres a difference between "building" and "racing" a dirt car adn actually knowing what your talking about. theres also a difference betweend "building and racin" a drift car and knowing wtf your talking about. also in the dirt track world most the pos "hot/purestock" cars that most the people run are stock 110'' < wheelbase 80's decroded peices of crap with no real skill involved. and yes i did just say that. however the purpose built sprints/late models/modifieds that the big boys run that costs a good bit of money does require skill and from what i understand a similar type of driving as drifting, however with the car's setup and grip levels it is optimal to drive in a drift manner, mostly in part to car setup. but as to drifting/dirt track racing they are different but also similar, but i think you are both arguing the same point even though none of us hear seem to have the 1st hand experience being competitive in both.
                  Last edited by Ris4drift; 02-04-2005, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• You know, some Dirt Track racer out there that knows nothing about Drifting could make the same blanket statements about our sport. So what, waste of time. If you dont know anything about Dirt Track (and its obvious you dont after reading your last post), why say that kind of stuff? Do you need to put something else down so you can feel better about yourself? Also, please explain how you determine that difference between doing it and knowing what you're talking about?

Comment

• results maybe?

but yeah, i dont know anything. then again i didnt claim to..

Comment

• And where did I claim to be Dirt Track or Drift expert? This is the Internet, take it for what its worth. I disagree'd with the statement, then gave my opinion and reasoning. Thats alot better than just talking crap and insulting people for no reason. I dunno what his "results" were, in fact, he raced for 11 years before I was even born. *shrug* If you talk to someone face to face, watch them build cars, and watch them drive, you'll get an idea about what they know. Good enough for me. If its not good enough for you, too bad then.

Comment

• lol where is the namecalling you speak of?

i dont know why you appear to be getting all butthurt here, nobody is attacking you or your opinion. just stating ours

Comment

• Originally posted by Ris4drift
                            most the pos "hot/purestock" cars that most the people run are stock 110'' < wheelbase 80's decroded peices of crap with no real skill involved.
                            You're right, I dont know how I could have mistaken that for talking crap. You must have meant something positive, I just missed it.

I'm not hurt but your "There's a difference between ..." reply to my post insinuates that my friend and I are both full of crap. Making negative assumptions about people usually makes them feel like they need to defend themselves. No big deal.

Comment

• Good grief, people are still arguing about this.

Hey CrazyHawaiian, keep rockin' that 3rd gen f-body! Thats good stuff, you're doing that car proud!

Comment

• Thanks Whisky!

Comment

Working...
                                X