AE86 4AC & Nitrous Oxide....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GodsAdvocate
    im not trying to make a competition winning drift car or a drag winning toyota. what i want is the best looking hachi in washington that will have the power to drift (LSD me course) and a car that will beat these crap ricers around here that think that graphics give them horsepower. know what i mean? isnt that feasible? sounds to me like it would be quite easy.
    Personally I reckon if you're traffic light dragging with ricers, you're just as bad, but more importantly have you ever tried drag racing with a 2 way LSD? Not the easiest thing to do.

Comment

joe jus get ur 4ag...ull have the money for it i no time...
      Last edited by sr ^Drifter; 03-06-2005, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Since your in WA this makes things a whole lot easier. I got my motor at (hi-comp) for $380. That was a few years ago but last I checked there only up to about $420-450 now.

JK Japanese Engine Imports
        12432 Highway 99 ste 86, Everett, WA 98204
        Phone: 425.438.8834

Comment

Originally posted by O5m0515
          Since your in WA this makes things a whole lot easier. I got my motor at

waht did that 380 include? everything? ecu harnesses? etc? what other work did you have to do to get it into the car after that? did you do it yourself? or have it done at a pro shop?

Comment

yeah that about right. a used japanese engine importer here quoted me $350 on a jdm bluetop 4age. that only a longblock, no harness, ecu, or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by balmo
              yeah that about right. a used japanese engine importer here quoted me $350 on a jdm bluetop 4age. that only a longblock, no harness, ecu, or anything.
              so basically your going to need a ton more stuff? water pump alternater head EFI injection system ecu harnesses brake componetes etc.... if thats the case ill just get a complete one for a grand

Comment

some longblocks comes with waterpump/ and dizzy, some dont. depends on each engine.

its too bad you spent that much on body and paint. that could have been your engine, your suspension, your lsd, etc. imho, in drifting, car appearance is of the least importance.
                Last edited by balmo; 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Itd be nuts ot get 25% power from any exhaust setup. Theres a lot of flipflopin in here, thought id post my ideas/thoughts (hey whats a forum for?)

For starters:

Price of NAWS > Price of a 4age. Then add how long a bott for your nos will last (and for anyone who says not all setups are nos, bite me; theyre all STILL nitrous oxcide systems), and how much it will take to refill your nos every time you run that botle dry.. it adds up fast. 4age is simply more reliable and cheaper to do, theo ther advantages are obvious.

THep rice of a 4age as mentioend is only a few hundred dollars, the ones close to 1000 bucks are probably some of the 20v head version or maybe the Z versions.

Though i reccomend an LSD for drifting, dont get it stuck in your head that its NEEDED to drift, or to even drift properly. The winner of the Vegas Amateur competition here used an open dif miata. Another friend of mine (a member here, case) has done QUIT well in his FC without an lsd, nailing the top 3 in i believe every competition hes been in except for one. So yes it helps big time, no its nots required.

Dont start bringing up the rotary reliability "they always brake" crap either ITsn ot true.Rotaries believe it or not are fairly reliable given you preform the two basic and simple steps with em, Change the oil with mineral oil every 2k miles (synthetic leaves nice and yummy build ups in the housing, yay) and avoid over heating like a mallet to your nuts. With the exception of when a rebuild comes around (dependingo n maitenence figure the average is aroudn 100k miles, sometimes as low as 70k, ive seen others near 200k miles) youll run into very few problems with the rotary, theyre just simple engiens with few things to go wrong. 13b for example has 3 moving parts, 2 rotors and the essentric-shaft (Crank shaft).

Theres other stuff but its almost 6 am and im tired, so i believe im going to go to bed. If you want IM me ill be glad to answer as many 86 related questions as i can. Freelancer900 on aim

Comment

A drift car is not fit to be a circuit car
                    I disagree. Both need good balance, well-tuned suspension, and pretty much all the same stuff. Honestly, all you need to do to make a good drift car out of a good circuit car is to adjust the suspension a little bit. For example, stiffen the rear bar, maybe stiffen up the rear shocks if they're adjustible... put in stiffer springs in the rear if you have coil-overs. maybe change the camber and toe a little bit... Or do whatever makes the car feel better when you drift. this is all stuff you can do at the track if you have your suspension fully adjustible.

Anyway, as far as the nitrous goes, I don't think it's that bad of an idea. You could use it instead of clutch-kicking on entry, as well as mid-corner to adjust your drift angle.... On the straights it could give you a quick boost. However, you need to remember it's not like putting in a better engine, because once you put in that engine, it's there until you kill it. Chances are that a 4ag will last a LOT longer than a nitrous bottle.

Comment

People seem to forget you need stability and grip to drift properly

Comment

yea, whoever said that a drift car cant be a good circuit car, i dont know if youve seen immamura, but he was using the apex drift car as his circuit car as he is learning to circuit race, those cars are just a well built as the circuit cars, because theyre using the same techniques in building them, small differences such as spring/dampening rates are going to change, and i dont think too many circuit racers are really worried about adding more steering angle, but the rest isn't too far off from any other race car.

Comment

roflmao... lets put Immamura or any other professional driver in a sub $10,000 budget drift pig and see how they go eh? More money has probably been spent on the Apexi RX7's gearbox and clutch than the total cost of the 4AC powered beast we're talking about here.

To avoid confusion let me rephrase... low budget buildups should choose what purpose they want to satisfy and stick to them. You can land your car on the moon and still use it as a daily driver IF you spend enough money on it... but till then focus your money and skills on one thing and stick to it.

Comment

LOL, cars are able to used for more than one thing.. you have to be an idiot to believe that you can only use a car for strictly one thing...

thats such a simple concept i dont think i have to elaborate on it any further!

Comment

a 4ac without ALOT of cash is gonna get dealt by civics and the like... Sorry. Also I'd scrap the 2 1/4 piping idea fast unless you want to lose all your torque and get pulled on by yugos in first gear.

Comment

alright, fair enough, but we were talking about circuit cars, which come close in cost to d1 im sure.

anyways, corollas get dealt by civics even with 4ag engines, theyre not fast, dont kid yourself. swapping the 4ag into a sr5 is going to cost more than just the engine, lots of other things are involved that havent been mentioned. its not very easy, and not exactly cheap, unless you have a good hookup.

and whatever that was about LSD not being needed for drifting, yea, but then its like playing ice hockey without any skates, its possible, but probably not a very good idea and puts you at a disadvantage compared to others with the proper equipment and equivilant skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X