Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SidewayzRacer
    Alex,

A friend of mine has an S2k and he wanted me to ask you what you'd recommend to add to the car to better it's drifting abilities. Is there much as far as after market drifting parts availible for the S2k? And if so what parts and companies do you recommend?

Thanks for your input!
    not to interrupt, but alex's car was pretty much re-engineered from the ground up. I think the biggest change to the car (other than all of the carbon panels) was the Rx7 steering rack, as the s2000 one just doesn't have enough angle.

that, and having 300hp in the motor helps too...

Comment

• Start off with some good adjustable coil overs and some track time. All the other mods can wait. His tire selection will make a world of difference as well.
      BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
        Start off with some good adjustable coil overs and some track time. All the other mods can wait. His tire selection will make a world of difference as well.
        will you buy me a 996, ill be good for a whole year!

Comment

• Alex,

Thought my first post should go to giving you some props for what you are doing with the S2000. I love it! I'd say I'm a bit bais to the S2000 since I own one too, I really like your style. Keep it up and I'm going to keep rooting for you. Good luck this season!

So this includes my greeting to the Drifting community too. I just registered today. I've been following drifting and almost 3 years now, started through my experiences in driving simulations where I've learned some valueable theory behind drifting. Now I'm working on realizing this knowledge. Bought an S2000 because I loved the car and it meets the criteria for drifting being that it is RWD. I am hoping to realise my dreams and get some track time with the s2000 this year and improve on my understanding of this car. In its stock form, Its definately a gripper and when the rear comes out its very twitchy, I've exposed myself to a few 180s, but I know in anything, you gotta keep practicing to get better...which I am.

Any advice you can give me on where to start off with setting up the S2000 for drifting is appreciated. This is like any recommendations on good duriable coilovers, tires (brand and size setup, front rear mixing etc...). Where can I start off, and is there a demand for S2000s in the drifting scene? What is a good resource to research for getting sponsored for tires?

Thanks,

BJ
          Last edited by Breaker; 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• I heard you recently aquired a certain British roadster. I've done a bit of reading on them and they've got some good points: affordable, simple, easy to build, and great performance for the money.

What has been your experience with the Locost so far? Is it an easy car to drive or is it somewhat of a widowmaker due to the light weight?

Comment

• BJ,
              I havent really tried many different brands of coil overs for the s2k so im not sure what brand to suggest. You could always start off with it stock and get some seat time since the car is hard to get used to anyways. To get a tire sponcor, you do need to run in the competitions. So just get some practice in untill your ready to compete.

Tsunami,
              yeah, i've recently purchased a locost. Its fun but there are alot of things I want to change on it to make it more of something I am used to. The best way to decribe it, its like driving around in a formula ford but its street legal. Right now its got a cortina motor in it but i'm going to change that out once I get a chance.
              BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• What are your plans for D1?

Comment

• what are you planning to swap into the locost? A bike motor?

& corolla @ D1= sweet.

Comment

• Rsr S2000?

i saw the drivers list and it says you are driving an 86... i was just wondering if this is a one time thing or are you done with the S2000 and RSR

Comment

• Alex--

I know this is a drifting site, but knowing the extent of your experiences, I feel you'd be a good person to ask these questions. I also posted this in Ryan Hampton's thread, but I'm not sure if he checks anymore and I remembered you have significant grip experience as well...

I really wish to improve my grip driving techniques, yet am facing the obstacles the non-rich who love racing always face: budget. I'm trying to take my racing as far as I can get. I'm prepping a kart and improving my lap times to match (or in some cases beat) the recorded times of the locals (prior to entering my first race), participating autocross/gymkhana/track days when I can afford tires, and, though it's often frowned upon, hitting my local windy roads. My NA6CE Miata is handling the abuse like a champ (With a little help from the local junkyards), my kart's feeling like a winner, but I feel like I'm hitting a dead end.

Now, for my questions:

-I have a bit of money saved up, and at this point could afford to attend a racing school like Skip Barber. Is the ~$4000 I'd be spending for a few days a waste of money, or would it be a useful tool in my progression?

-Although karting is a blast, and cheap in comparison, I'd much rather race with fenders. If I could scrounge up a decent budget and get a few local places to sponsor me, would converting my Miata to SCCA Spec Miata, participating, and showing results be any kind of foot in the door? Or would it be better to work my way through karting classes? I'm not getting ahead of myself and planning for nationals before I even show results locally, but I don't want to make sacrifices and dump the money I do have into something that won't offer any opportunities.

Thanks for any input you offer! I'm a big fan!

Comment

• i know a couple years ago you could pick up already built spec miatas for dirt, just so you know, unless you already have another car as a daily driver.

Comment

• Drift Brick
                          Id like to stick in a s2k motor and trans but i havent found a good deal yet.

tmdrift86
                          Driving the 86 was more a one time thing. I will still be working with RSR at the demo events.

Snap Oversteer,
                          I was just like you snap, and there are many like us who do everything they can to go racing. At first all I wanted was to race in high end sports cars like in american le mans and over the years spent tons of money racing whatever I could afford. I learned that no matter how much money I made, it still wasnt enough to get into the cars I wanted to drive. I kinda gave up the idea to only go for high end. I've been fortunate enough to drive some amaising cars. What I've learned from it is that it doesnt take a $500,000 car to make driving fun. I've had great racing experiences in $1000 cars and at the end of the day, its not the car your driving or the series that you run in that matters. Its that feeling you get when you push the car and yourself to its limits.

ps, any car that you have an opertunity to drive, do it. I learned alot from a few days at the racing school. I'm not sure if i would have payed the money to take the class though. You could get your miata to spec class for that much and you will beable to run much more track time that way. Your only as good as the guys you race against, with that being said, look for the fastest miata spec guys and race with them. It will be a learning experience because for the first time, you will realize how crappy your driving really is. Karting at a high level isnt cheep ether. And no amount of un-pro races will get you sponcors enough to move up. Its all in your hands. You have to beable to afford a season of pro racing, and finish well before you will get sponcors to continue running in that series.

Guys in american le mans pay 60k a weekend to run. Barbor Dodge is up to 200k for the season. Toyota atlantic is about the same. The top formula D teams spend that much as well. The only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big one.

Comment

• Hi Alex

i have a ? i am runnning 245 40 18in in the rear and 235 40 18 in front is that over kill for handeling, i am planning to get some tein tie rod suspension for better sterring angel in the front...any advise???

later

Comment

• hows it Alex? Just wanted to see if this thing works..LOL
                              It was nice seeing you at the D1 on march 4th. Now I can ask questions and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored* with you on this..

Sorry to hear that you weren't in the top 32 that day. Justin always asks about you when he looks at the magazines or watches the drift video's..especially since you from Hawaii it makes it even more better..

Anyway, what's on your next agenda as far as your driving career? I heard that you drove the RX-7 for time attack...how did that go?

Hope to see you soon at the shop..like I said we are moving back to hawaii on the 15th of June....hopefully we can get some stuff done to the car before we leave..
                              catch you laters...
                              James
                              Last edited by grnboy77; 03-11-2006, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• hey alex, i was wondering why you didn't compete in the russel championships? I noticed you were in the mechanics school and took both clases though. I'm curious because i took the techinques course and was trying to get as much info and opinions on the series as possible. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X