ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much Horsepower does a drift car really need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much Horsepower does a drift car really need?

How much do you really need cause i'm thinking about dropping a SR20DET into my car and all the upgrades i want to put on it would put it up to about 450 hp

should i or shouldn't i?
    Yes! drop it
    395.83%
    No! too much money
    266.67%

How long have you been drifting and what do you know about the SR? Makes a difference. Would you be doing the work yourself? Why do you want 450hp? What are you going to be doing with the car? Is it a daily drifter? Weekend warrior?

Read all four pages of this thread.

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...2&goto=newpost

Comment

More power is a double edged sword. When you are learning, I would consider it a disadvantage because throttle control becomes so much more important. When you are good, its definately an advantage because you can hold the drift longer on throttle. IMO you dont need alot of power to drift. There are so many techniques to kick it out, the ammount of power you have does not matter. Once the rear tires have lost traction, even a low ammount of power will keep the tires spinning. The minimum ammount of power needed would depend on your tires, so it will varry. Alot of our local drifters have under 200hp/tq and they still drift fine. You definately dont need to swap in a SR motor to drift, the stock KA is more than capable. My original drift car only had a rated 175 hp, probably like 135hp at the wheels. But it was also rated at 250 ft/lbs of torque, which I would guesstimate equals around 190 tq to the wheels. This was enough to drift .... but now I want more ...

Comment

You don't need horsepower to drift. What you lack in horsepower you can make up for with momentum. The SR20 is a good engine, but it won't work miracles. You should spend the money on tires and practice if you really want to drift. When your progress is limited by the mechanics of your machine, you might think about a swap then.

Some of our best guys in Hawaii, the ones that you usually see on videos or in magazines, only have a little over 100 hp at the wheels.

Comment

Agrees with Hawaii. Spend that money more wisely. I say you should just start with bone stock everything. As you grow, grow your car with you. Think of it as dating. If you screw the girl on the first date,a relationship is doomed, but ahhhh if you go into it gradually then a whole new world opens up to you. Such is the same with cars. 450 HP on the first date = doomed drift car.

Comment

everyone is right about not needing so much power. it'd be wiser to spend that money on something like suspension parts or differential, wheel/tire, etc.

however as you get better youll get to the point where more power will benefit you instead of hurting you. it'll definitely hurt you without alot of skill though

and just because those big japanese tuner cars run 450hp regularly on an sr20det doesnt mean you can do it easily and especially not cheaply. they all use built race motors by pros who do it all day.

Comment

Now duluth is posting relationship advise.

450 HP on the first date = doomed drift car.
              and a doomed date. Ive scared a lot of passengers in my time. But it is a good way to weed out those girls who wont understand you.

Comment

Horsepower doesn't really matter in drifting. Skill is.

Comment

220-300 is perfect.any more is just making it easyer.
                  nah just trow this beast in yo
                  Attached Files

Comment

yo foo

trick yo SR20 air sucka with da hks cams r32 skyline gtr intercooler wit yo east bear pipin kit hks intake koyo radiator trust oil coola wit yo filta relocation kit yo nismo caps yall sportin 3 inch blitz downpipe catco cat apexi gt spec exhaust apexi power FC wit yo nismo injectaz n walboro fuel pump apexi boost controlla turbo timah n blowoff valv niggas got 250HPs at 8 psi

Comment

I'm chock full of advice. Too bad most normal girls get sick or violent when you sling them around in a car. Bah stupid girls.

Comment

*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, jun cam gears,ikea formula inlet manifold,blitz injectors,skyline fuel pump,hks drag core fmic,trust rad.,no oil cooler,to expensive,filter kit,turbonetics manual boost controller,and strait back ti exhaust,yea good for 250+ on sr dub

also reliable

Comment

Funny, all of the informative posts say to not swap, but the poll says swap. Hmm....

Comment

Horsepower isnt what you need, its skill.

-Vash, Trance God.

Comment

what if i just drop the sr20 with just internal mods and stuff like a new intercooler

and i am studying drift bibl and a few other sources on drifting techinques

Comment

Working...
                              X