No announcement yet.

KUMHO "RED SMOKE TIRE" for Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tires are really expensive and it leaves a residue (sp) on the car that is unwashable.... the tires dont give you any advantage in drifting.... it still comes down to driver skill and car setup... but it does get you more noticed...

Comment

Originally posted by Spazum888
      the tires are really expensive and it leaves a residue (sp) on the car that is unwashable.... the tires dont give you any advantage in drifting.... it still comes down to driver skill and car setup... but it does get you more noticed...
      Last time I checked....Pro-Drifting (FormulaD and D1) are also judges by 'excitement'. Yes, Skill and car setup are part of that....but if you can't through the smoke, you just won't win. Look at the top 4 from Atlanta. All 4 had major smokeshows....

Red is just a twist on that, and now that enjuku can practice with the tires publiclly, they will get used to the new sticky compund and improve. Not bad that they placed #16 and #17 out of 55 in there 2nd pro event. I think Kenji was the ONLY other top 16 driver that didn't run a pro event last year. Expect alot more from Enjuku in Houston.

Comment

Well it looks kind of like a gimick now but watch this be the next big thing, imagine pulling up in a blacked out 240 to the start line and start burning pink smoke, that would be so cute! I personally enjoy the idea of diffrent colored smoke because its diffrent, its fresh, its new, its cool, and thats exactly what drifting is! Perfect bliss!

Comment

i would rock em if they mass produced these tires and they were available in pink smoke

Comment

sparks instead of smoke

I am a big fireworks guy so I can dig the red smoke except for the fact I can't stand the smell of tire smoke. I love the smell of gunpowder but can't stand rubber smoke, bleh.

Though while loving smoke around fireworks I actually think it gets in the way of a good display most of the time so I would just as soon do away with it altogether.

I would rather see tire companies work on sparking tires. They could mix iron, titanium, Fe-Ti, or a few other metal powders into the rubber matrix to produce sparks just like running down to the steel belts.
            The problems I see are that any metal powder of a decent particle size likely going to make the rubber matrix weaker. Some metals will get hot enough to burn before others. I would design it so that it produced as little smoke as possible and the more energy into the run the higher the spark generation. Could even use different metals so that as it gets hotter it will change the color of the sparks from a colder yellow to brighter red or white.

Comment

if it smokes on purpose, wont the trailing car in tandem will have problems?

Comment

Originally posted by kclo4
                I am a big fireworks guy so I can dig the red smoke except for the fact I can't stand the smell of tire smoke. I love the smell of gunpowder but can't stand rubber smoke, bleh.

Though while loving smoke around fireworks I actually think it gets in the way of a good display most of the time so I would just as soon do away with it altogether.

I would rather see tire companies work on sparking tires. They could mix iron, titanium, Fe-Ti, or a few other metal powders into the rubber matrix to produce sparks just like running down to the steel belts.
                The problems I see are that any metal powder of a decent particle size likely going to make the rubber matrix weaker. Some metals will get hot enough to burn before others. I would design it so that it produced as little smoke as possible and the more energy into the run the higher the spark generation. Could even use different metals so that as it gets hotter it will change the color of the sparks from a colder yellow to brighter red or white.

My concern here would be the 'effects'....make that 'damage' to teh tracks surface. I don't see track owners going for this. Hell...it's hard enough to explain to them that drifting does less asphalt damage than grip....

Comment

Originally posted by s0nny80y
                  if it smokes on purpose, wont the trailing car in tandem will have problems?
                  and wouldnt that give you an advantage? heck id take it! also take a look at HKS's altezza. its so ugly, the dude behind you will throw up!

Comment

My concern here would be the 'effects'....make that 'damage' to teh tracks surface.
                    When looking at the track after Rob's exhibition before the top 16, all we could see is regular black rubber marks. After talking to the Kumho engineer that was with the Enjuku team says it acts just like regular rubber layed down and washes off after a some good rain storms.

Looks black to me.

Comment

Originally posted by drumma022
                      When looking at the track after Rob's exhibition before the top 16, all we could see is regular black rubber marks. After talking to the Kumho engineer that was with the Enjuku team says it acts just like regular rubber layed down and washes off after a some good rain storms.

Looks black to me.
                      That is probably the most accurate statement so far. The tires leave red marks on whatever pavement they're on, but the darker the pavement the less noticeable it is. The red does wash away also, as our 'test' marks behind the shop have all but dissapeared.

Comment

There would be no extra damage from a sparking tire. The rubber would be mixed with very fine particle metal, say 10-50 micron in size. This and the fact that the metal loading could not be that high such that it reduces the strength of the rubber matrix it should not be any more abrasive than a normal tire.

That might be part of the problem, you may not be able to get enough metal in the matrix to make it worth while. But I dunno, haven't seen it done. Instead of the metal sparking against the ground I think it would take most of its energy from the hot rubber boiling off.

Anybody know what the surface temp on a tire is AS it's smoking?

Originally posted by MrRiceRocket
                        My concern here would be the 'effects'....make that 'damage' to teh tracks surface. I don't see track owners going for this. Hell...it's hard enough to explain to them that drifting does less asphalt damage than grip....

Comment

It depends on what type of tire you are using. Unless I am mistaken, racing tires run a little hotter than street tires. I think during drifting the temperature for these is over 200 F.

Comment

they measured bai's tires right after a run and it was around 290-300 and that was after i wonder whats its like during a run they need to have some one hang out the window with a infared pyrometer (one with a peak hold function) and aim it at the tire while drifting

Comment

I think now there are tire temperature monitors that can be placed somewhere within the wheelwell that display temperature inside the car.
                              You could buy somthing like this from a company like the one found at this website------------> http://www.solidstateracing.com/osc/catalog/

Comment

Originally posted by makai
                                I think now there are tire temperature monitors that can be placed somewhere within the wheelwell that display temperature inside the car.
                                You could buy somthing like this from a company like the one found at this website------------> http://www.solidstateracing.com/osc/catalog/

350Zs come with tire pressure sensors, i dont see why tire temp sensors couldnt be made. I want colored tire smoke just for drifting events, but im not paying that much for tires, btw, just put flints in your tires and they'll smoke.

Comment

Working...
                                X