Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Timing For Turbo and Non Turbo

Hey All..
    Here is a topic i thought i should bring up on the Tech Threads..
    Ignition Timing..
    This is Crucial for good burn in the combustion chamber..The timing at diffrent RPM levels can give you more power safely, or bad timing can ruin your whole engine..
    Well I understand for Turbo motors.We *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* the timing at high boost to help lower compression to avoid detonation right.?
    So the fuel mixture dosent ignite too early,since under higher boost , the Fuel in the combustion chamber will burn faster..
    Ignition timing is mostly about controlling the burn rate of the fuel in the cumbustion chambers.Diffrent fuel mixtures will burn diffrently so adjusting the timing is crucial at diffrent levels..

Ok here is some info on timing.

Advancing Timing:
    This will cause the spark plugs to ignite earlier in the combustion cycle.Usually done on non turbo cars to improve high end combustion..
    Retarding Timing on turbos:
    Ok Why would we *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* the timing for a turbo car??Well because
    on a forced induction car the fuel mixture burns at a faster speed.So we will *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* the timing or delay the ignition point so it will burn later and not too early..

Ok Adjustable Timing for turbo cars
    Yea On My turbo II I will be doing a adjustable Timing set up..
    I will probably keep it stock between idle to 3200 rpms.
    Then from 3200-5000 rpm have it *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* about 2 degrees.
    Then from 5000-9000rpm have it *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* a little more to 4 degrees.
    At about 12-14 psi.
    This should controll my Fuels Burn rate and maximize combustion Under boost , since with higher boost your fuel will combust\burn faster due to more fuel\oxygen that is pressurized..=)
    Under lower boost I can *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* less..If you don't *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* your timing under boost, you will probably get detonation,which means your fuel burns too early in the cumbustion cycle,which leads to high engine tempature, Usually unds up with blown seals going first due to high heats and sometimes even causing rotor housings to crack.(only on rotarys)On pistons your valves will probably overheat or even crack..

Ok Well for Non Turbo..
    I would usualy advance timing since we don't have to worry about boost or detonation..It might add a few hp's to your high end but you will loose a little low end..Due to gases burning too late during low rpm's.The combustion dosent really have that much time during the compression cycle..
    Also People With V=Tech or cars that come stock with variable valve timing control like V-Tech,VVTI,or VANOS damm lucky guys..
    the stock computer on these systems already have variable valve durations and timing curves..=pUaually just upgraded with just a chip and mabey CAM gears for you piston guys..Well on a rx7 N\a i would have to port and buy a controller while you guys just drop in a chip..=)Or a Spoon V-Tech controller or a SafcVtech..I would adjust the timing on a non turbo car because usually your stock car comes with a timing set up for lower emmisisions during normal running conditions..So advancing your timing on a non turbo will give you a little better burn on the high end but a little lower on the high end.
    Here is a link to all your timing needs..for most cars..
    http://hometown.aol.com/dvandrews/timing.htm
    by Dave Andreaws.Thanks..

How do you Drifters tune your timing??
    I would like to hear your experiences and Timing set up..
    Especialy on a S5 TURBO II but any cars is fine..
    Last edited by JunpoweR; 02-16-2004, 02:28 AM.

Nobody Mess with their Timing??

Anybody Do anything to their ignition timing??
    Tell me about it..

Comment

Working...
    X