No announcement yet.

Ka24de or sr20det? why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

older gt cars made around 325 hp n/a if i remember right, it was the sohc though. not at all streetable, probably idles really high, has to be rebuilt often, not feasable for daily driver.

SR 20 has a huge aftermarket, lots of following, and every opportunity to make a ton of power if you have the money.

ka has a much smaller aftermarket, making parts harder to come by, especially those that are really high quality, so most of the stuff you will buy is going to be custom, sometimes costing more than the same part for a sr20 because of the fact that its custom.

youre talking about building a bulletproof engine, doing all this crap yourself, but you haven't said anything about what your goals are. you said something about 3 liters, why? And then you say response? Basically you're going to bore the engine beyond its limits and then make your own crankshaft? I hope i read that wrong. You also talk about youre going to do your own machining, i'm not saying that you can't but where are you going to get this done? Who taught you how to do it? That kind of stuff takes some pretty hardcore machines to balance the engine correctly. You never once mention tuning, but say youre going to make a bulletproof engine. Tuning is the most important part of that. You can stuff whatever forged parts, pistons, rods, crank whatever, if you don't tune, it will blow up. there are ka engines with nothing but head gaskets and pistons, running 400 hp or more. Just takes the right tuning. I think you should run around the NICO forums and take it all in. I think there is still a lot of stuff you don't know, and if you do, share it with the rest of us.

If you really want 3 liters, get a RB.

Comment

Raging Panda is right. NICO rocks. I think 175 to 200 HP is more realistic on an N/A setup for the street and that is with precise tuning. To my knowledge the Ka rods come forged, so that's one less thing that needs replacing. ARP rod bolts wouldn't hurt. Iv'e also read that the Ca18 motor shares valve train components with the Ka. Does anyone know anything about that?

Comment

I'm sorry if I confused you. I grew up with a dad that was a true blue gearhead. The kind of guy that would rebuild an engine over the weekend to go blow up again.
        I mentioned I'm taking the buildup approach. I plan to do all the assembly work and upgrades myself, and leave anything pertaining to balancing, and machining to a company. I plan to find a ka block, and overhaul it. To increase the size, possible out to 3 liters, but to keep engine response as well. What I mean by that is... everyone is familiair with the 20v on Ueo's 86 right, with the independent throttle bodies? he is only making 2XX hp but his engine response is instantaneous and he gets that # immediately. I just plan on making an engine that is reinforced with performance parts so that I can do anything with it, from drift to drag. You hear all the time about 1000whp supras or 450whp rx-7's. How do you think they do that? they do it by increasing the size of the engine, and/or by upgrading the major components so that it can be pushed farther. By changing key components, such as an aftermarket crank, rods, and pistons, you are able to push more power. That is my target, instead of switching over to a diff engine.

Hope that clears up some confusion.
        hah, it seems like people send me to different forums alot. yeah, Ill go check out NICO and see what I can learn. Thanks you guys.
        Last edited by 2501; 03-27-2005, 12:59 PM.

Comment

how do you increase the size of a rotory engine???
          lol, i dont tihnk you can with out swapping it...

Comment

Originally posted by 2501
            I'm sorry if I confused you. I grew up with a dad that was a true blue gearhead. The kind of guy that would rebuild an engine over the weekend to go blow up again.
            I mentioned I'm taking the buildup approach. I plan to do all the assembly work and upgrades myself, and leave anything pertaining to balancing, and machining to a company. I plan to find a ka block, and overhaul it. To increase the size, possible out to 3 liters, but to keep engine response as well. What I mean by that is... everyone is familiair with the 20v on Ueo's 86 right, with the independent throttle bodies? he is only making 2XX hp but his engine response is instantaneous and he gets that # immediately. I just plan on making an engine that is reinforced with performance parts so that I can do anything with it, from drift to drag. You hear all the time about 1000whp supras or 450whp rx-7's. How do you think they do that? they do it by increasing the size of the engine, and/or by upgrading the major components so that it can be pushed farther. By changing key components, such as an aftermarket crank, rods, and pistons, you are able to push more power. That is my target, instead of switching over to a diff engine.

Hope that clears up some confusion.
            hah, it seems like people send me to different forums alot. yeah, Ill go check out NICO and see what I can learn. Thanks you guys.
            I don't want to sound like an *Censored**Censored**Censored*, and I apologize if I do, but you have a lot to learn before you would want to even think about building a motor by yourself. It's not just throwing parts together and starting it, there is alot of meticulous work involved. I don't think you'll get the KA bored/stroked up to a 3 litre, and if you could, it's not going to be cheap. You can't increase the displacement on a rotary, only raise compression and air flow by porting. Most supras going over 1k HP are still on the factory 3.0L of displacement.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
              how do you increase the size of a rotory engine???
              lol, i dont tihnk you can with out swapping it...
              ha ha good laugh

anyway u r a crasy fool why go KA when you can just go turbo ka24? Check these guys out, they get wicked numbers out of there KA's.
              www.ka-t.org
              Thats my take on your buildup or rather your premeditation. anyway good luck and check out that site.

Comment

the reference to UEOs engine wasn't a very good one, as 200hp on that engine is really hard to achieve, and it is a race engine that gets rebuilt regularly. Also, his isn't a 20V unless he has changed engines since last season. It makes that power instantaneously by keeping the stroke short, and parts light. You havent made any reference to that. Increasing the size of the engine will only slow down your engine speed since there will be more mass with a longer rod/larger crank.

Again, rx-7 engines can't be increased in displacement unless you make the rotor smaller, housing bigger, or add another rotor. The first two, i've never heard of it happening.

The supra engine, i have never heard of one getting increased displacement, but if thats true, thats fine, but none of those are N/A. Your arent going to get .6 liters in a KA engine unless you know how to make your own crank, and even then, i dont think you could have enough stroke to make that kind of size without making a custom block to clear the rods, or without it being so out of balance it shakes itself apart. You talk about being a gearhead, but you need to learn some stuff before you go out building engine, or else all you will be doing is blowing them up, then you get frustrated and quit.

If youre talking N/A application, 200 is going to be your most realistic goal, as only a select few have achieved that while maintaining a daily driver. That is with high cost not being a big factor to them, this means no rebuilds weekly. High comp pistons from a sohc, lots of head work, cams, custom intake, possibly itbs and standalone ecu, header, exhaust, possibly 225hp or so. But now you are talking a ton of money.

If you want higher power goals, then turbo will probably be the way to go. With a stock block, crank, rods, forged pistons, metal head gasket, and then all the bolt ons, there have been 225-400+ hp achieved, depending on knowledge and funds. You could feasably be around 225 with about $1000 if you know what you are doing.

you still havent told us what your goals are other than response. you can have a responsive engine with a turbo. I'm assuming you want to go n/a since you referenced ueo, so take what i said and run with it. If you think that is too low of a goal, then prove me wrong, that is the best thing you can do, and please share with us whatever you end up doing, and help others learn from what you have learned from.

Comment

Good info Raging Panda! A lonely N/A thread should be started. Well, As far as N/A, personally I like the fact that it's less parts/less fuss. It's a setup that would suit my Daily Driving needs. Plus, I'm not in search of big horsepower. A rebuild for a tired KA with a comfortable/significant increase in power is my goal. What about you 2501? It seems you have the advantage of keeping it a Drift Only car, so that's conveniant. Pick the motor you feel will accomodate your budget and time.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
                    The supra engine, i have never heard of one getting increased displacement, but if thats true, thats fine, but none of those are N/A.
                    RARELY people will bore/stroke them, and when they do it's usually 3.1-3.2L. Driftin180sx on this forum, his dad has a 3.3L 2jz

Comment

boring them out would make sense to me, especially if youre rebuilding and you need to rework your cylinder walls, then you have a little displacement right there added.

i think i met driftin180sx one time down in oregon at a nissan meet, does his dad own a shop or something, and at one point had an FD with a ton of hp?

Comment

boring them out would make sense to me, especially if youre rebuilding and you need to rework your cylinder walls, then you have a little displacement right there added.

i think i met driftin180sx one time down in oregon at a nissan meet, does his dad own a shop or something, and at one point had an FD with a ton of hp?
                        Yeah he does, he owns Xcessive motorsports. and yeah has an FD making somewhere around 700whp, but I'm unsure of the actual number.

Comment

seemed like a pretty cool guy, had a civic that was pretty nice, wasnt my style, but not bad. That FD seems pretty cool, maybe ill see you at some of the drift events around, you going to drift fest up in washington?

Comment

seemed like a pretty cool guy, had a civic that was pretty nice, wasnt my style, but not bad. That FD seems pretty cool, maybe ill see you at some of the drift events around, you going to drift fest up in washington?

Depending, I used to work at a shop started a little bit ago called garage 112, but I left to go back to school, if they go I'll probably end up going with them.

Comment

I made the Ueo reference just trying to give a point that somthing can be done with effort. I understand that its radically rebuilt and upgraded on a large basis. I plan on going turbo ka. I understand what you are all saying, and I am not here to make crazy accusations or annoy other members. You guys all know I dont have any foot to stand on until I actually show results. I now right now have a good idea of the road I want to take. I am thinking of buying an ok ka24 from my friend for $500 with tranny,ecu, and engine mods included. It just needs new valves, so it sounds like an ok deal. What is a good website for Ka parts? thats all I really need now. btw, I just took a # for a number to bore over to. Dont think much of it. I am still in the concept idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501
                                I made the Ueo reference just trying to give a point that somthing can be done with effort. I understand that its radically rebuilt and upgraded on a large basis. I plan on going turbo ka. I understand what you are all saying, and I am not here to make crazy accusations or annoy other members. You guys all know I dont have any foot to stand on until I actually show results. I now right now have a good idea of the road I want to take. I am thinking of buying an ok ka24 from my friend for $500 with tranny,ecu, and engine mods included. It just needs new valves, so it sounds like an ok deal. What is a good website for Ka parts? thats all I really need now. btw, I just took a # for a number to bore over to. Dont think much of it. I am still in the concept idea.
                                If you plan on building a KA for turbo, don't spend 500 on a KA motorset, way too much money for it, you'd be best off buying a 100-200$ KA thats knocking or smoking and going from there. I'd visit www.ka-t.org and check out what they have going on there, all your questions have been or can be answered there.

Comment

Working...
                                X