Hood Scoop-Form or Function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Scoop-Form or Function?

I just picked up this hood scoop from ebay. not sure just where i want to place it. i t will be funtional but i'm not sure if it should go over my intake or over the center of the engine. i PS some pics do give you an idea of what it will look like. Just looking for some oppinions here that's all.

the scoop

Over the intake

Center

sell it and buy oem hood to practice on and cut some of your own intake inlets. cause that sh!t looks wack to me this is no wrx

Comment

I had to look twice at the pics, that intake made it look like an FC.
      yah that just looks weird, but he is going for function...
      so i would look around and see how others are doing it. I would think to put it in the center to create better flow. Need to keep it cool
      Last edited by zerodrifter; 04-07-2005, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I personally would shave it down and make it a little shorter it looks a little to tall and narrow it kinda gives a ricer look but if you feel like making it functional it should grab quite a bit of air. -Matt-

Comment

well these are just photoshoped pics, it will be a little lower and we are going to extend the back of it to run up the hood.

again just photoshop for the basic idea.

Comment

its ugly and useless on your car. Putting a hood scoop over the top of your engine will do nothing. Putting it over the headlight wont make a difference on air to your stock engine.

Save your money, buy quality parts like suspension, wheels & tires.
            Last edited by swifty949; 04-08-2005, 05:48 PM.

Comment

that would be extremely *Censored**Censored**Censored*.

just get some bushing and raise the back of your hood, or make your own.

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/hood/hood.htm

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
                its ugly and useless on your car. Putting a hood scoop over the top of your engine will do nothing. Putting it over the headlight wont make a difference on air to your stock engine.

Save your money, buy quality parts like suspension, wheels & tires.
                Although i agree it's not the nicest scoop i've ever seen, saying that adding a scoop to your hood and haveing air blow over your "stock" motor quote on quote is bull$hit ANY and ALL air you get going over your motor helps whether its for bringing in cold air to the motor or just for added cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by teamINERTIA
                  Although i agree it's not the nicest scoop i've ever seen, saying that adding a scoop to your hood and haveing air blow over your "stock" motor quote on quote is bull$hit ANY and ALL air you get going over your motor helps whether its for bringing in cold air to the motor or just for added cooling.
                  Look at where the hood scoop is located, how does air flow? Answer: Down & to the back... where is the intake located? Towards the front..a reverse vent would be more beneficial than a hood scoop.

Comment

Sorry to say but that scoop will not do anything. The scoop is way to small to actually grab any of the air flowing over the car. Your airflow will just go right around it because the air pressure inside the engine bay is too high. If you really want to improve flow inside of the engine bay you need to get a front air dam (a piece of metal or plastic that covers the underside of the bay) and mount that scoop backwards. I would even suggest ditching the scoop and throwing some spacers under the hood hinge. This will raise up the rear of the hood and allow for more air to be pulled through.

Comment

getting hot air out would be preferred

Comment

sell it back on ebay, and buy some quality parts.

Comment

i am going to sell it and get a spare hood to make some custome vents on. i'll come up with some designs in a 3d program and take it from there. thanks guys.

Comment

get a reverse vent if you insist on putting in vents..

Comment

so how do you keep water from just running through a hood vent anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X