basic car mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic car mods

hey guys this is my first post. just for the record i loved drifting (safely) and racing even before the fast and the furious hit the movies. anyways, i drive a 91 240sx LE hatchback and the only mods it had was an injen intake. im on the process of dropping my car to. Im currently thinking of getting my friend's VLSD from his junk 240 and im gonna get a new clutch system. my question is if you had a chance to only run headers or exhaust which would you pick and why? im modifying my car slowly because id ont have my momies and daddies to help me builkd up my car. and any mods that i should be applying to my car in terms of drifitng and racing???

headers seem to make more of a difference. For drifting, start with the LSD like you are... then just stiffen up the suspension with coilovers and some swaybars. Actually, you don't even need that stuff, so practice on stock suspension, and if it doesn't feel right, THEN get coilovers and swaybars

Comment

haha... thats funny cause ive been practicing on my stock suspensions and it works pretty well. i cant wait till i slap no the LSD. you think that stock exhaust is fine though? i always felt like relieving back pressure though. what do you suggest? whats your view on just welding on a muffler or the whole catback exhaust.

Comment

stock exhaust is fine. That reminds me of one of my friends. He had an SR20DET in his S14 for a few months with stock exhaust, and it was fine. To tell you the truth, I don't notice THAT much of a difference with my aftermarket exhaust. I think it's the Headers that are holding back the power.

Usually, if you just weld on a muffler, you'll get better sound, but little to no difference in performance. You're much better off getting a cat-back. That, or aftermarket muffler with custom pipes done at a muffler shop

Comment

Originally posted by MrMigs
          stock exhaust is fine. That reminds me of one of my friends. He had an SR20DET in his S14 for a few months with stock exhaust, and it was fine. To tell you the truth, I don't notice THAT much of a difference with my aftermarket exhaust. I think it's the Headers that are holding back the power.

Usually, if you just weld on a muffler, you'll get better sound, but little to no difference in performance. You're much better off getting a cat-back. That, or aftermarket muffler with custom pipes done at a muffler shop
          header's and remove the cats

Comment

well first before you do anything...fix anything that is broken, worn out, or you're unsure of as far as from a safety concern.

yeah i think the stock header/exhaust maifold and cats are the main power drain on any car. so i'd deff. do that mod first, and with more air flowing out, it wouldn't hurt to have more air coming in too. so intake would be good at this point. LSD is good to help hold a drift, but not to start a drift. just makes the job easier and more fun. stock suspension is ok to learn on....as long as everything is in good working order...but when you replace any of the broken suspension items go back with stuff that is stiffer, stronger, and better than stock. newbies don't need a 2K coilover setup though. good shocks and quality springs are just fine too, esp. if you're on a budget. but be aware: drifting costs money! bling bling

Comment

headers and a custom exhaust from the headers back. i dont think theres a reason to bust so much money on a cat back or an axle back exhaust system. but if you turbo it.. get the 3" pipes. the response from the turbo is a lot better.

Comment

Working...
              X