ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the Drifting Events in California??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
    Awesome thanks for the info everyone. While it seems those two tracks have been lost I've seen alot of positive indications that the track scene in California is not going to slow down. I've also heard that a local Hawaii company might be holding events in Cali too, Race Factory (really good people). Well definately seems worthwhile to have a car up there. Right now I'm working out the funding issues. We'll see what happens!
    Your more than welcome here I would love to see you drive! I love the fact that you are rocking the f-body and not the norm.

Comment

Thanks for the tips captainNEO, I'll check those websites out. About the RF events, its just something I've heard that might happen I dunno if it'll happen for sure. Brainfood, thanks for the welcome but I dunno how much fun it would be to watch me drive. hahahaha!!! I dont have competition level driving skills, just a few loose screws hahahaha. Here's an older video of me, not very impressive compared to alot of other people out there. Its OK though, I'm in it for the fun of the sport.

http://www.powerslideways.com/video/...eint-Track.zip

Comment

Thanks for the tips captainNEO, I'll check those websites out. About the RF events, its just something I've heard that might happen I dunno if it'll happen for sure. Brainfood, thanks for the welcome but I dunno how much fun it would be to watch me drive. hahahaha!!! I dont have competition level driving skills, just a few loose screws hahahaha. Here's an older video of me, not very impressive compared to alot of other people out there. Its OK though, I'm in it for the fun of the sport.

http://www.powerslideways.com/video/...eint-Track.zip
        Its always good to see new faces especially ones serious the sport seems like a lot of new faces show up at these events and then disapear never to be seen from again. I think once they realizes its not as easy as they think.

Comment

Too much truth in that...

Ya know, I have to agree with that, that there are allot of people that think that just anyone that just got a license can get behind the wheel and go drifting. But the reality is that it takes a fair amount of skills and it takes allot of knowing your car and becoming in tune to it.

CH, funny thing is, I think with some tune up, you might find that it was just your car, that needed to catch up with your skill. It seemed sluggish in that video and underpowered. It sounded fine, just seemed too heavy for the amount of horse that it is pushing, in order to drift easily.

Does it seem as if you have to "throw it around" to get it to do what you want?

Now I could be off in my judgement, but that is the feeling I get from watching it, including the idea that you need some suspension tuning under that thing. But enough of the "drift diagnosis" an all.

I also have been wanting to put together a group get together for central cali here. I am down in Del Rey Oaks, which is near Laguna Seca raceway, right next to Fort Ord/Seaside Cali. I am from Sactown though.

Laguna Seca isn't likely to allow it, as their maintenance lead guy was talkin all sorts of mad $h|t about drifters saying they screwed everything up. Which is unfortunate. I don't know how they would feel about holding a drift day, or a regular drift day, especially as there is an actual racing school there holding regular classes, though they do teach a bit of drifting. If there is demand, I can investigate it.

Everyone let me know....

Peace.

Comment

You are right TougeTora, the green Camaro is underpowered and overweight. When that video was taken it was still the "budget project" so still all stock @ 130k miles except for exhaust and a panhard bar. Was trying to do a little project to see how cheap you could do a fun domestic drift car, was at around $3500 into everything when we shot that video (2004). I do have to throw the car around but I think its mainly because I have an auto tranny so I gotta use weight transfer to initiate. Since the video was taken alot of stuff with the car changed, blew up the stock tranny, swapped another auto in for cheap. Then the motor blew the headgasket took me down in 2005, fixed it for cheap but its on the way out. Did alot of suspension work and got serious about tires and weight for 2006. Got a glass hood for free and had a friend paint it, gutted the car and stuff. Current project in the works (after saving up forever and eating ramen noodles for months) gonna be doing a full drivetrain swap. If everything works out as planned I hope to have 350hp at the wheels, 5 speed, and hydraulic e-brake for the rear can't wait!! Here's a pic of the car nowadays:

Here in Hawaii there was a movement to have a new track built but it didnt work out, state didnt give the tax credits, and now alot of us have lost hope. The only chance to have a track on Oahu Hawaii now is to have a state run facility but I dont think its gonna happen. Which means my idea of storing a car somewhere else and traveling for events will be the only way to go. Right now trying to work some stuff out, sell some cars and stuff raise some funds. I have a chance to buy Chris Kam's Camaroku, excited about that. If that does happen thats the car I will ship to Cali. Cali is definately the place to be for events these days. Cant wait!!
            Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 04-14-2006, 05:11 AM.

Comment

PHP Code:
              "Here in Hawaii there was a movement to have a new track built but it didnt work out, state didnt give the tax credits," 

Well, that sucks... I am curious, what the demand, really, would be like for a privately funded track. Is there enough land available?

Secondly, Congrats on getting things moving on the upgrades. What you are going to be pushing, combined with a lil on the diet (for the car ) should have you hooked up ... or should I say slippin up, nicely. That 5 speed is gonna lose you at least 70 lbs., by the way. Especially that hydraulic e-brake. Give thought to a multiplier for the steering box? And does that thing turn tight enough, out of curiosity? It seems to do okay, but that is what I noted with the Cooper Tire T/A, it just seemed to not kick out far enough and maintain a directional control, as it wanted to not go far enough sideways, or it went too far. At least that was the FD'05 events...

At anyrate, let me know what you think about the private party situation, when it comes to a track out there. Like a commercial, but non profit venture... Kinda thing. Oh, before I forget. The car looks choice brah, keep up the effort.

Peace!

Comment

Yes that sucks no more drift events in Hawaii..
                I heard from the hunter..
                Well time for you guys to come out here..

Comment

Just to give an update on this, so you guys know I'm not full of it. I worked it out with Chris and I will be buying his Cama-Roku. This is the car that I will be shipping to Cali to participate in track events. But it probably won't be shipped until the last 1/4 of 2006 because I need to save up the shipping $$ and work out storage on that end. But the plan will be the same, buying a trailer over there in Cali and will be storing the car on a trailer. Then when I want to have fun I'll fly over on my insane hookup airline tickets, rent a truck, and haul that trailer to the event!! I think gas for the truck will be the most expensive part of the trips!!

Here's a pic of the Cama-Roku and how it looks now. Before shipping it over the ocean I'm gonna do minor appearance changes, paint it, and change the wheels. Right now I'm trying to decide on the color, its either going to be GM Fairway Green or Toyota Speedway Blue (both colors from trucks). The car is an 82 chassis, full tubular chromemoly suspension w/ Koni's, 400hp motor, 6 speed tranny, and aftermarket 2 way diff. This is the same car that Ueo drove and gave the thumbs up, said he wanted to use it in D1 even!!

Comment

Just to give an update on this, so you guys know I'm not full of it. I worked it out with Chris and I will be buying his Cama-Roku. This is the car that I will be shipping to Cali to participate in track events.
                    That's good news you'll be back at it soon..... Sucks Ya'll don't have a place to play their at home.... Please keep us updated when you get a chance to get behind the wheel...
                    Good Luck!!!

Comment

just so you know, drift day found a home again. they are back at irwindale, and the calendar says thursday nights during summer as well, im hoping that thursday nights actually comes to pass.

Comment

maybe you should buy a used uhaul trailer. theres always a few for sale at the stations

Comment

Just to give an update on this, so you guys know I'm not full of it. I worked it out with Chris and I will be buying his Cama-Roku. This is the car that I will be shipping to Cali to participate in track events. But it probably won't be shipped until the last 1/4 of 2006 because I need to save up the shipping $$ and work out storage on that end. But the plan will be the same, buying a trailer over there in Cali and will be storing the car on a trailer. Then when I want to have fun I'll fly over on my insane hookup airline tickets, rent a truck, and haul that trailer to the event!! I think gas for the truck will be the most expensive part of the trips!!

Here's a pic of the Cama-Roku and how it looks now. Before shipping it over the ocean I'm gonna do minor appearance changes, paint it, and change the wheels. Right now I'm trying to decide on the color, its either going to be GM Fairway Green or Toyota Speedway Blue (both colors from trucks). The car is an 82 chassis, full tubular chromemoly suspension w/ Koni's, 400hp motor, 6 speed tranny, and aftermarket 2 way diff. This is the same car that Ueo drove and gave the thumbs up, said he wanted to use it in D1 even!!

Hope to see you out at some cali events!

Comment

Yeah man I can't wait to sample some Cali events. Thanks for the good words you guys. Our track did close but our scene isn't dead yet, we still have street sessions and stuff. But my IROC-Z currently down for more mods so I haven't been getting as much seat time as I want. Right now all plans are on hold, need to travel on short notice for work to fill a position for 30 days. They're sending me to Germany, so I'm setting up a Nurburgring session with a BMW 325i on June 11, hope to make a few laps for fun, few for time trial roadracing, and then finally a few laps drifting certain turns that have good runoff room just in case (since its a rental and all). Its kind of funny, I could tell they were uneasy when I asked to make sure the rental included tire wear hahaha.

Hey so whats the deal with those U-haul trailers? What stations do you buy them at? Thanks for the info!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X