No announcement yet.

How do u make a car Back-Fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the older Evo's (the IV, I think) came with the mis-firing system due to a rule change in WRC. You can buy a kit, they ran about a grand, but expect to change your exhaust manifold every 6 months or so, and it's hell on the turbo seals. My SRT backfires on WOT shifts, but it runs pig rich from the factory. With no cat it shoots a fireball out the back. Ditch your cat, get a straight pipe exhaust (no mufflers, or just resonators, "glass packs" if you are old school) add a FPR and crank it up, and you are good to go. You won't get much out of it performance wise, but you will then be "cool". You would also be "cool" if you bought me a case of beer. . . . .

Comment

Yea, this thread reminds me of a guy that came into my friends shop to get a turbo kit on his Honda just because he wanted the "Whoosh" from the blow off valve. These wee the days before the fake bov so he paid over 3000 to have a whole kit installed for that sound and that sound only. Waste of money.

Comment

Isnt this simlar to the countless, "Miss firing system" \ Anti Lag threads... or they may have been on the old fourms... either way... Backfiring a N\A engine isnt good... and Anti lag is hella hard on a turbo... So if you want to look cool... run a fuel line to your exausht pipe and see what happens.... Anti lag is for professional rally racing... drifting doesnt need a anti lag... because your running full throttle or trying to all the time... anti lag is for twisty tight, grip style driving.

Speaking of the BOV thing, my friend and I were going to put a PA system in his car to make the PSSSHHH!!! sound... and laugh at the people who laughed at us.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, is this the same pop that I see coming out of JGTC cars? I have seen many Skylines make a pop with a little flash (not old school flamers) and have wondered what that was.

Comment

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/turbo_restrictors.html

according to this article, a misfiring system (anti-lag system) would not be needed in WRC if FIA regulations got rid of "turbo restrictiors", thus allowing better intake to prevent increased rotational inertia lag. since we are not governed by FIA and have so many technilogical means to prevent lag without the negative reprocutions of an ani-lag system i would advise again it, even if it "sounds so coooooooool".

Comment

I have seen some systems for none turbo cars that add a second spark in your combustion cycle in order to burn up unused gas and air. I would think that if your exhaust valve was open while this second spark fires you might get a little pop n' flash out your exhaust.

Comment

my friends 240 (sr powered) was shooting flames when we were out drifting a few weeks ago. it is stock except for the Apex'i N1 exhaust system

Comment

*actually,
                  my friend has an evo IV, the first generation of the evo's with the transmission on the right, was the first evo with a misfiring system stock, it is really intriguing how it works too.. if you rev up to about 4k rpm's and let it wind down on it's own (releasing the gas pedal quickly), it pop's and a small, but hypnotic fireball shoots out. see pic below..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Re: have a question

Originally posted by ILoveDrifting
                    How do u make a car BACK-FIRE? well i have 1 clue, that u need a directed pipe exhaust but other than that wat else? well i think it looks really awsome even tho u have 100hp.
                    japanese tuner Bee-R hast a Rev-Limiter kit that can help you with that. Limits the car revs so that your engine won't blow and when you shift at the limit, the car backfires

Comment

A backfire is ignition of unburnt exhaust gasses, no more no less. The little pops coming out of the exhausts of cars is just that. Every car can do it but they don't due to the emissions and the cats, mid cats. Get a straight through exhaust and you can do it too. The rotaries are much more extravegant due to them running much more rich.

And I don't believe that the tube you speak of is the mis firing system. That is emissions man. The mis firing system is electrical.
                      It is basically a backfire to keep the turbo spooled by creating a draw on the turbo.

It's a pretty stupid idea for a streetable car. Not only are you going to tear things up, you will waste a buttload of money.
                      Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 06-05-2004, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Well Evo IVs werent known for there streetability...

So how exactly does it work? does it ignite fuel before the turbo sending a rapidly expanding wave of gas threw the exhaust manifold which more or less emulates running the car hard.. but while your not on the gas. Or does it exploid the fire after the turbo rapidly expanding gas out the rear to create a vacumm to pull more air threw and spin the turbo?

Im going to guess the first one.. which is no wonder its hard on the turbos..

Comment

When I back off the gas after driving hard I shoot flames according to my friends when they watch me drive. I have a stock KA with 3"test pipe and exhaust

Comment

Well, from what I understand about it, when you let off the gas, the system doesnt allow the butterfly throttle valve to close all the way, or it injects more air via a different route into the engine, while making it run rich. Thus, there is gas and air in the engine when its not supposed to be there. The second part of it is retarding the timing, so that the spark ignites the mixture once the exhaust valve is open and the whole mixture has begun to flow out through the turbo and exhaust system. Thus the explosion takes place inside the turbo, headers, cat and exhaust, rather than inside the cylinder. This does provide the pressure to keep the turbo spinning at the right rate, but because the explosion takes place in the exhaust system, not the piston, the temp of all those components above goes up incredibly, and cats, turbos, and generally everything else does not like heat. Plus, you could do some serious head damage, since the valves are designed to withstand the explosion when they're closed, not open. So for a WRC team that has plenty of $ and the ability to rebuild the car every day or two, plus all the R&D required to get the system to work, the misfire thing is fine. But for us out on the road... just no. Too much damage, just to see a little flame.

Push-starting a car will give you a little fireball out the exhaust... I was giving some guy in an old Datsun a pushstart, the engine caught, and the resulting fireball, altho not too big, was enough to remove the hair from my leg. ouch.

My father also used to make fireballs, but using the hotrod method described before where he ran the engine rich and had the sparkplugs placed out in the exhaust... but with a twist. It was in a VW minibus.

So.. if you would like to go out and buy a whole new exhaust and turbo, and headwork, go for the mis-firing system.

Comment

Originally posted by RallyGT
                              yeah, look in import tuner and stuff. there is a kit in there that i saw today, it shoots flames out your exhaust pipes up to 20 feet. They also did that on "pimp my ride" (the episode with the old mustang).
                              If your not talking about that kind tho, i do notice some rally cars and other cars with turbo shoot fire when they shift gears...i think its called a Misfiring system...i could be wrong tho
                              Just watch initial D the episode where takuma races that evo he has a mis fire system its good but IT KILLS UR MOTOR watch it its in the last 5 episodes before he races whats his name with the White FC LOL how the hell do i know this?

Comment

to make my car back fire or mis-fire, i just put in some over sized from stock injectors and that happens to shoot out a flame, i think, its blowing up at the tip of the muffler and its all black and chared so i think im shootin fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X