Go Back   DRIFTING.com > General Forum > General Chat (DRIFTING Discussion/News and SITE Updates)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drifting at Laguna Seca

Old 09-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
RaceGuy

Thumbs up Drifting at Laguna Seca

Hey all,

I'm not a drifter, probably never will be. I work on open-wheel racecars in the Champ Car series.

I got a chance to watch the 'exhibition' at Laguna Seca last weekend at the Champ Car race. I just wanted to drop a line and say you guys kick *Censored**Censored**Censored*. There weren't that many cars out there, but they put on a hell of a show and did some stuff that our drivers could only dream about doing. In a lot of ways, what you guys do has to be even more fun to do than what we do.

Great job, hope to see you guys at every race.
RaceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
vervius

hey, awesome post.
vervius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
TwistedByDesign

Send a message via AIM to TwistedByDesign
which team do you work for??? I love champcars, my first champcar race was long beach in 1991 and ive probably been to 25 races in the last 10 years.
TwistedByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
zdss14
speed strife d

champ car rocks and its on spike tv now
zdss14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
zerodrifter

Send a message via AIM to zerodrifter
yeah champ cars are on spike on sunday at... i froget what time. In the after noon i think. Could you drift on a champ car?
zerodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
malcolm

you could drift a champcar, but it would be REALLY difficult. Also, you wouldn't want to do it at high-speed, because of the aerodynamic consequences (sideways in a ChampCar would mean a major loss of downforce, which would end up in a huge crash). Also, steering angles are limited... not the best choice for a drift machine.
malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
lagcisco

raceguy, how is drifting viewed upon in the professional road racing scene?
lagcisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:58 PM   #8
RaceGuy

The team I work with is called Pacific Coast Motorsports. Here's a link. http://www.pacificcoastmotorsports.com/

At Laguna we won our race and the 2004 Champ Car Toyota Atlantic Championship.

You can probably drift a Champ Car, but to do it really well you'd have to change a bunch of stuff....steering angle for sure. You can do some great burn-outs, though. Our cars have quite a bit less HP than a Champ Car, a little less than 250. They can't really churn the tires like you guys do. It's not that our guys don't drift....they do. They just do it at very small angles where you guys do it at huge angles. If you watch our race on Speed TV on Sept. 26 you will see my driver doing his best impersonation of a drifter. He goes down to turn 2 (the 180 degree hairpin) after taking the checkers and locks up all 4 tires and then kicks it sideways all the way around the corner. He couldn't smoke the tires on the throttle (just on the brakes), but it looks pretty good anyhow.

How do road race guys view drifters? Hell, I don't know. It's quite a bit of a different deal than what we do. It seems a lot less stressful and a lot more of just going out and having a good time. Maybe that's just the view from the outside. What I can tell you is that on Saturday night when the exhibition was getting ready to start there were as many of us crew hanging on the fence as there were paying fans. I'm serious when I say that I hope the Champ Car organization is smart enough to get drifters at every race track we go to. You guys put on a show that is different than ours, but completely complimentary. I think the 2 disciplines work well together and I know that the fans will like your show as much as they like ours.

Later.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:37 PM   #9
Brian

may i ask, which was your favorite car?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:04 AM   #10
_PG_
Got a date with Lady Luck

The hot Japanese kid in his green S thirteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee n! He gets all the fly ladies!

Or maybe Hoss's SR20-should-be-RB26-if-you-knew-what-you-were-doing-powered 350 SuperZ.

LOL.
_PG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:38 AM   #11
TwistedByDesign

Send a message via AIM to TwistedByDesign
Fogarty should be in champcars...a lot of the atlantic drivers should be like Ranger and Daizel. Also, do you know that the Formula Atlantic engine, the 4age are also found in Corolla GTS, although they are nowhere near as powerfull as the FA 4age.
TwistedByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
CRASHDRIVE

Send a message via AIM to CRASHDRIVE Send a message via Yahoo to CRASHDRIVE
Quote:
Originally posted by TwistedByDesign
Fogarty should be in champcars...a lot of the atlantic drivers should be like Ranger and Daizel. Also, do you know that the Formula Atlantic engine, the 4age are also found in Corolla GTS, although they are nowhere near as powerfull as the FA 4age.
the FA engine 4ag is the 11,000rpm motor that TAKUMI have ha ha... (useless facts, I know)

Anyways.. I was about to ask Raceguy, if I could get a used FA engine from their team so I can swap it in my 86

Raceguy, do you have a 5 yr old FA engine lying around, that you guys are willing to sell? please!
CRASHDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #13
j.r.
D.A. Tandem Time Traveler

Re: Drifting at Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceGuy
Hey all,

I'm not a drifter, probably never will be. I work on open-wheel racecars in the Champ Car series.

I got a chance to watch the 'exhibition' at Laguna Seca last weekend at the Champ Car race. I just wanted to drop a line and say you guys kick *Censored**Censored**Censored*. There weren't that many cars out there, but they put on a hell of a show and did some stuff that our drivers could only dream about doing. In a lot of ways, what you guys do has to be even more fun to do than what we do.

Great job, hope to see you guys at every race.
Glad that you guys enjoyed our demo and have a respect for drifting. They are currently working with Champ Car to get us out to some more events of which we would all love to do. We just want to drive. If you enjoy the Demos so much you should really come out and watch A Formula D competition they get even more intense.

See you around,

JR
Team Falken/ Drift Alliance
Old 09-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #14
RaceGuy

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
may i ask, which was your favorite car?
Well, keep in mind I really don't know what I'm looking at....there's going to be a lot of the finer points that I miss.

The red 350Z did a pretty cool move when he was going counter course towards turn 3. He locked the rear tires for about 100 feet, rotated it about 90 degrees, and then lit it up all through the corner. That was pretty slick. It seemed like everyone knew what they were doing, though.

It did look like initially the drivers weren't used to a track that was completely 'rubbered in' and very grippy. At the end of the day, Laguna is a very 'grippy' track.

As far as the engines go, I think you guys have better 'plants than we do. We are really limited on engine mods and they are all built to the same spec. Our engines cost about $50k apiece and we have at least 3 for each car. Rebuilds (every 500 miles) cost close to $10k. You'd be better off with a newer engine and a turbo. It'll make more torque, more power, and not be nearly as fragile. Incidently, our engine builder, Hasselgren Engines in Berkley, CA, built one of the engines in a 240. 11,000 rpm was the old days. We only turn about 10,000 now (depending on the track).

Fogarty should be in Champ Cars...Dalziel, too. Give Ranger another year so sort things out (He's only 17!) and stick him in the big cars in 2006.

I'll be looking forward to checking you guys out ASAP in SoCal.

Later
Old 09-15-2004, 06:24 PM   #15
j.r.
D.A. Tandem Time Traveler

Thats very odd that you say that about the track being too grippy. It was actually very slick probably the slickest track I have drove on all year. After Saturday we were thinking the track would get grippier after you guys ran but that was not the case. I actually had to slow down my entries to stay on the track because the lack of grip. I was talking to one of the Champ Car drivers on the flight home and he suggested that maybe because the track was made of "pebbles" that they were probably so polished from all the years of driving on that track that it lacked grip for us. However you guys Stick like glue becasue of Super sticky tires and A ton of downforce. Any how it was a blast and we adjusted to it.

See you soon...

JR
Old 09-15-2004, 09:09 PM   #16
Slonie
is a composite character

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Formula Atlantic <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I'm probably one of the few who was as excited the first time I went to a CART race at Long Beach to see the Atlantics as the main event. I wanted to see a whole field of 4A-GE powered cars!

As somebody pointed out, the Atlantic motor is the highly developed motorsports version of the 16V 4A-GE inside every AE86 (well, besides other motors in that chassis).

It wouldn't be streetable, but it would fit right on the motor mounts in the car. And the sound? That'd be so great. Considering the cost, you'd have to be a crazy man to do it.
PS: Takumi, besides being a ficitonal character, has a Group A 20V (from the AE101). Not the Atlantic, which is 16V. I'd take either, in my dreams...

People Love Pics.

Regular:
http://www.club4ag.com/images/Scrapbook/L08.jpg

Extra Spicy:
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20t...tic_Engine.jpg

Last edited by Slonie; 09-15-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Slonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:15 AM   #17
zerodrifter

Hey RaceGuy,
What part of the camp car do you work on. Mechanic, Engineer, ect. Just wondering beacuse i'm looking into engineering at the momoent.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:04 PM   #18
RaceGuy

Let's see, gotta cover all the bases here.

1. I'm suprized that the track wasn't grippy for you guys, but I can understand. When we showed up on Friday morning it was slick for us, but by Saturday afternoon it was pretty good. Sometimes when we run with a class that runs street car based tires the rubber they put on the track is incompatable with our cars. Must have been something along those lines.

2. Give me one of those 20 valve heads. If I could get through tech we'd be home free on the track!

3. My position on the team is (or was, I guess the season's over) Fogarty's race engineer. It's a lot of work, but I'm pretty much doing my dream job.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:40 AM   #19
Mr B

Send a message via AIM to Mr B
Woo hoo, go red 350Z! Thanks for putting on a good show as the open wheeled cars were awesome to watch too.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:11 AM   #20
zerodrifter

You are living the dreamjob. I hope i can make my way up one day. I have a few questions though. What type of education do you need to become a race engineer? What do you have? Are there any good schools that you know of.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: