ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the point of putting a huge wing on a drift car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the point of putting a huge wing on a drift car?

I don't get it, i see some drift cars and they have those huge aluminum wings on them. first of all while drifting, you aren't going fast enough to need it, second, you're sideways, so the airflow will be going the wrong way, which means that wing is a pointless piece of metal on the trunk, adding weight also.

I totally agree. Thats why I prefer a whale tail (or drift wing), but more as a style piece than a functional piece. For my car the equivalent is the 5 inch spoiler.

Comment

Style

Comment

style fa sho

yah mostly its just style....they do judge you on the looks of your car also in D1...and ima judge the looks of your car also so bish beware

Comment

The true function of the rear wing is to help stabilize and control the rear of the car. This goes for every motorsport from simple SCCA autocross event to full blown F1 championships. Drifting included. The size and shape will ultimately depend on the driver's desire for stability and car control. Style has very little to do with it. In drifting the drivers need all the traction aids they can get from tires to suspension to wings and canards. All these help keep the car under control. Bigger doesnt always mean better.

There are 3 parts to a rear wing serving different functions. The part the lays flat (or horizontal) and is about the same width of the car helps keep the rear planted. The side wings that you see help keep the rear undercontrol while going around a corner. Then theres the mounting posts which is self explanitory.

Think about the Formula 1 cars and how they use the rear wing. Since they run a coarse with many corners, bends, sweeps at such high speeds, theyre gonna need the rear wing to help them keep the back end undercontrol while going around the corner.

True wings arent mass produced like APR, WingsWest and other companies like them. The real ones are track tested with hunderds of hours in research and developement.

Hopefully I gave a good enough answer to your question... I couldve easily slammed you on such a retarded and half *Censored**Censored**Censored* first comment................... style puhahaha only losers think that its only function.

Comment

listen to starshark hes the master haha and also has the rare ssrs!!!

Comment

What you are saying is true for grip roadracing, but not so true for drifting. First of all, you need to reach a certain speed before the rear wing becomes functional. This 'certain speed' depends on how the wing is set up (depends on rake). But majority of the time drifters will only reach speeds that make wings functional for a small portion of time. Maybe while building speed to enter a drift. But as soon as you start sliding you slow down which makes the wing less effective. And that bring me to another point. When drifting, the oversteer causes the rear to move in a lateral motion. Those 'side wings' (I call them strakes) actually work against you when you are drifting. Like you said, they are there to keep the rear end planted, which means no lateral motion in the rear of the car while taking turns. This would increase the stability of the rear of the car while grip roadracing. So if you forced the car to enter the turn with a lateral motion (aka drift), then those 'side wings' are not helping you at all. They would actually hinder your ability to create oversteer if you were going fast enough for it to make a difference. The fact that people still run them re-inforces the fact that they rarely reach speeds where it makes a big difference. It IS a style thing for drifters. But for grip roadracing its a functional thing. If you want a functional wing for drifting, then you want a whale tail, or drift wing (has no 'side wings' hehe), but it would never really be functional unless you drift at 100 mph all day long.

Comment

im gonna have to agree with the hawaiian because if your sideways the wing does not function properly becaused the wind is hitting the side of the wing not the "concave" of the wing.. And as stated wings only work at certain speeds, which is why porsche doesnt let soem of there electroinc wings pop-up untill certain speeds, alot of the japaneese guys drive there cars on the freeway for races and tracks for JGTC type races as well so Im sure SOME of them use it for this.

Comment

haha

well the D1 drivers dont seem to have a problem with big wings....and hariguchis yellow FC has one of the biggest ones on the planet im sure youve seen it....and hes still better then youuuuuu even with one ten feet tall on the hood and on the roof
                  Attached Files

Comment

i have 2 disagree

when u drifting most of the time ur not completely sidw wayz so u still have ir flowing over a part of the wing that helps keep that side down lets see... if u went into a left hand trun u would have air flowing over the left side of the wing which in turn in putting so down force on the left side.. anyone agree?

Comment

All wings are designed to plane out as well as produce down force. In a D1 enviroment the wing can be used for drag. Yes drag on the rear of the car which can and cannot be benificial to most applications does have an effect on the cornering charituristics of the car. We (DriftXtreme) are designing a wing for drift. It does not resemble normal wings but it is quite functional in a drift application. As soon as our patent application is filed I will disclose it.

Comment

Originally posted by StarShark
                        The true function of the rear wing is to help stabilize and control the rear of the car. This goes for every motorsport from simple SCCA autocross event to full blown F1 championships. Drifting included. The size and shape will ultimately depend on the driver's desire for stability and car control. Style has very little to do with it. In drifting the drivers need all the traction aids they can get from tires to suspension to wings and canards. All these help keep the car under control. Bigger doesnt always mean better.

There are 3 parts to a rear wing serving different functions. The part the lays flat (or horizontal) and is about the same width of the car helps keep the rear planted. The side wings that you see help keep the rear undercontrol while going around a corner. Then theres the mounting posts which is self explanitory.

Think about the Formula 1 cars and how they use the rear wing. Since they run a coarse with many corners, bends, sweeps at such high speeds, theyre gonna need the rear wing to help them keep the back end undercontrol while going around the corner.

True wings arent mass produced like APR, WingsWest and other companies like them. The real ones are track tested with hunderds of hours in research and developement.

Hopefully I gave a good enough answer to your question... I couldve easily slammed you on such a retarded and half *Censored**Censored**Censored* first comment................... style puhahaha only losers think that its only function.
                        Yeah but you don't get my point.....the air doesn't really hit the huge spoiler, KEEP IN MIND YOU ARE GOING SIDEWAYS, NOT STRAIGHT. So how would that make more downforce??...if the air is barely hitting?

Comment

Re: i have 2 disagree

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER
                          when u drifting most of the time ur not completely sidw wayz so u still have ir flowing over a part of the wing that helps keep that side down lets see... if u went into a left hand trun u would have air flowing over the left side of the wing which in turn in putting so down force on the left side.. anyone agree?
                          No, becaus a wing is like this [-----------] <--- and that side piece will divert the airflow over the entire wing, making a wing pointless.... well a large one..

Comment

yea i agree...mostly style... only function i see is when being used in Super Taiyku (spelling) and GT series...

Comment

i say that wings are the S Hite , what about huge corners that your sideways for a while and going pretty quick say 70mph.if it is a functional design can help, for sure.also most of those carbon wings only weigh as much as you backseat your gonna gut anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X