Slipping Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping Clutch

I just installed a new clutch in my 240, and when im in 2nd or 3rd and hit the gas, the clutch slips. The engine revs but it does not gain speed. This only happens if i do WOT.

did you resurface the flywheel?
    what type of clutch?

Max

Comment

Hes right, If you dont Resurface the fly wheel or replace it, then that could cause the teeth to not catch properly. It may be the CLutch bearing also. I replace the bearing whenever ive done a new clutch but then again
      I usually buy a new setup so this way I dont have to worry about cleaning or using old parts. Plus Warrantys Are GREAT!
      Last edited by Dizzyirishguy; 06-09-2005, 02:03 PM.

Comment

The "teeth" are only for the starter. It sounds like you didn't break the clutch in, and you probably didnt resurface the flywheel.

For future reference, any time you use a new clutch disc, use a new pressure plate and resurfaced or new flywheel. Also get a new throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and flywheel bolts. It's not a bad idea to replace any snap rings and washers.

Clutch break-in: It sucks, but you have to drive gently for the first few hundred miles. My rule of thumb: No hard shifts or WOT for 300miles. Drive like a grandma. If you have a light-weight flywheel, gently slip the clutch from 1000-1500rpm from a stop, and drive as if you're almost out of gas and need to go another 30 miles. After 300 miles I will occasionally go WOT, but I won't do any hard shifts or launches until I've done at least 500 miles.

Also: Some clutches (especially carbon ones) require a fair amount of heat before they work properly. You can just drive them around town for a couple minutes then expect them to hold their max torque

Comment

to properly break a clutch in (most brands) its not about miles it is about heat cycles
          My builder usually tells people drive it normal for 10 days
          you have to drive the car 10~30 miles for it to get to operating tempature
          it is the heating and cooling that ensures proper break in

or you can always get a clutch that has a zero mile break in
          then you dont have to worry about all that jazz

Max

Comment

I resurfaced, got new bearing, new pilot bushing, but havent done full break in. I guess ill wait a few more miles and see if it becomes better, my uncle also told me that i can adjust the pedal, under the dash. Not to sure about that. Im not to sure what type of clutch and pressure plate it is, my friend gave it to me, it just says CC (competition clutch) and it has 6 pads.
            Last edited by dizguy; 06-10-2005, 03:51 PM.

Comment

if i was you i would just drive normally for say 2 weeks and see if it gets any better after that

Max

Comment

Thank you all, for your knowledge and tips. I will let you know if it does get any better.

Comment

Originally posted by dizguy
                  Thank you all, for your knowledge and tips. I will let you know if it does get any better.

Any update?

Comment

No more slipping and the clutch feels a lot better. I ended up adjusting my clutch pedal, which immediately stopped the slipping.

Comment

Working...
                    X