Hello. about muscle cars drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello. about muscle cars drift?

Well I'm muscle cars fan, but i don't have one, but i got a question.
    it's well known that original muscle cars handles bad and don't really tuned up for drifting, but if i will get one, is it possible to tune it up for those performance?
    Did anyone of you already tried this? and can share his thoughts?
    well and the last question how much it gonna cost approximately?

any related links, articles or even books (if there is, i hope there is) would help

well your thoughts, suggestion?

Yes, it is done and can be done.

The main issue is the cars handeling as you stated previously. Part of their folly is the fact they are solid axil, granted the mustang and AE86 drifters do just fine, it's still a hinderance. Also their weight. They were build like tanks back then, and it's not easy to loose all that weight.

Look on google for Camaro drift car. You'll get some hits for idea's of what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by MrfarNhigh View Post
      Well I'm muscle cars fan, but i don't have one, but i got a question.
      it's well known that original muscle cars handles bad and don't really tuned up for drifting, but if i will get one, is it possible to tune it up for those performance?
      Did anyone of you already tried this? and can share his thoughts?
      well and the last question how much it gonna cost approximately?

any related links, articles or even books (if there is, i hope there is) would help

well your thoughts, suggestion?
      Older muscle cars handle better than they're given credit for. The biggest problem is that most of them have suspension that is 30+ years old and is so worn that it may as well not even be there. Even though their weight and suspension geometry is typically a hindrance and they'll probably never handle like a 240SX, replacing the old shocks, springs and bushings will make a huge difference and at least make the car responsive and fun to drive again.

I'm currently working on an '86 Camaro Z28 drift project. It's still not perfect, but it's turned out to be a suprisingly good drift car. If nothing else, it's nice having something other than a 240SX like everyone else.

As for cost? It can be done somewhat cheap, but there's never a limit to what you can spend on a race car. American or otherwise. We bought our Z28 for $2500 off of eBay and drove it back from Vegas to So-Cal. Since then, the car has gone waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond "basic weekend drift project" status and the car is looking more and more like an SCCA race car, but there's no reason why anyone needs to take it as far as we have. An 80's Camaro or Mustang with some suspension work/upgrades and some bolt on horsepower can make a pretty decent drift car for under $10K when it's all said and done. Even less if you're particularly thrifty or can get a deal on parts and do some of the work yourself.

That being said, muscle car drift projects are pretty few and far between(they're definitely around, just nowhere near as prevelant as Japanese) so if you want to really start tweaking and taking the car to the next level, you'll likely need to do a lot of experimentation and research yourself. The knowledge base just isn't there for domestic drifting like it is with 240's and the like.

In short, if you want an out of the box drift car that has a large knowledge base and easy access to tons of "drift-oriented" parts, buy a 240SX. But if you want something unique and are willing to do some experimentation/research on your own, you'll find that muscle cars work surprisingly well and get a lot of attention in the process.

Comment

I myself am wanting to do a project like this. Do you think this clone would be a good start?
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Comment

Working...
        X