Strengthening your car for drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strengthening your car for drifting?

Are there any ways to strengthen maybe your steering rack or axel when it undergoes the pressures of sliding side-ways? i've seen several people's cars axels snap, or their body frame warp because of excessive drifting on their car. i guess i'm just asking what kind of support should i add to my car to prevent or reduce the risk of damaging it. Thanks~ =)

uhh...how bout strut bars, cross members/brace, c-pillars?....i seen axle snap but thats because the car itself was like 18yrs (87 300z turbo), so sometimes it's age that kills...than again u can rebuild axles...i think ...

Comment

Originally posted by Daz3d Panda
      i've seen several people's cars axels snap, or their body frame warp because of excessive drifting on their car.
      wow...i've been around the sport for a long time and i've never seen a "frame" warp ... i've seen plenty of good unibodies mangled from wrecks though!

yeah drifting can be hard on cars (usually the most when your first learning). but if you're looking for chassis support consider what FD3S_pilot said, and also there is roll cages (help a ton and keep you safer as well), stitch welding (very long hard process, but great results), poly foam filling the car in certain areas .... and then just upgrading the stock components of the suspension and driveline to aftermarket parts that are more well built to handle the duties of drifting.

to be honest though, to begin with a nice S13 or S14 in good running order with a good suspension upgrade and LSD will be all you will need to start with. then as your skills progress, so can your mods to your car as you'll begin to push it harder and further than you do when you start out.

Comment

idunno about frame warping either.

i know my s13's chassis is startin to get soggy. time to stitch weld or something.

you can do lots of stuff to make the car easier to drive, just look it up and read

Comment

maybe off topic here....but how is stitch weldin hard?? i understand that it might just take some time....and about where r all the places that need stitch weldin?? i only know about the strut tower area and stuff...please educate me...

Comment

if you can weld good then it's not hard ... just takes a long time. be cautious not to over heat the area you're welding b/c you'll either weaken or warp it. here is a good link from drift sessions on seam/stitch welding...

http://www.driftsession.com/articles...2/article2.htm

Comment

how about an s13 stitch welding guide? id like to do mine b4 roll cage (or have to)

Comment

i've never seen one specifically for a S13, but basically just follow those guidelines in the link i posted above and then just follow the main seams of the car (in the interior, in the engine compartment, and in the trunk/hatch area).....

Comment

yea...i gotta get me that metal fabricators handbook....

Comment

Drifting will not damage your frame. Stitch welding will stiffen the body and you will have a better overall reaction. You will have a rougher ride, but if it's your weekend car, I wouldn't worry about it.

As was mentioned, save money and get LSD, Strut tower bars, sway bars, and springs. If you cant afford an LSD, just have a second diff welded for you. They aren't hard to install and will make quite a difference in a drift session.

Comment

Working...
                    X