No announcement yet.

KAZU vs CASPER (VIDEO) Formula D Sonoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I can understand why you have to change the rules a bit to prevent tsuiso battles from being a race, but maybe educating the drivers a little on how it should be done would be a better solution than forced lines? The main reason why there was so much focus on overtaking in FD the first years was because the drivers were new to the sport and some of the most skilled ones even had a racing background. They're used to overtaking to win...

What I'm saying is that you might want to look at a compromise. An overtaking manouver shouldn't be reason to DQ, but neither should it be a sure win. This one was very nice and clean though...

Comment

why do you neeeeed to pass? look at our judges, we have alex pfieieieieieieifer ( i always screw that up) and andy yen, 2 former formula d/ d1 / drift racing drivers who can see exactly whats going on, and ken takahashi has been hanging out with them and our previous judges for how long now? they know what the smoke, front tires, noises, car bobbles all mean, and i honestly like the no pass rule. the only real way to one up your competitior from behind is stick to him like glue. you can force a pass anywhere almost, and once you pass more than likely the guy isnt gonna stick to you, but if you cant pass, your only option is to stick like glue, which makes a badass show imo, and is fun as hell for the drivers. its much harder to stick to some people in this sport when you could simply pass, which is why i like the no pass rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters
        ... you can force a pass anywhere almost, and once you pass more than likely the guy isnt gonna stick to you, but if you cant pass, your only option is to stick like glue, which makes a badass show imo, and is fun as hell for the drivers. its much harder to stick to some people in this sport when you could simply pass, which is why i like the no pass rule. .02
        This is the first time I agree with Mike 110%. Mike is right on the money! It's much harder to stick to someone than just pass.

For drifting, it's not the fastest way around a corner and if the chase car wants to pass, he can pass very easily by simply going into the corner with less angle and a tighter line.

To ensure the integrity and the objective of sport, which is a show for the fans, it's important to have rules in place to discourage chicken shxt driving, that is, not giving 100%. I like how Alex says on another thread that he would take points off the lead car if he does not go at least 90% of his qualifying runs. Right on! Keep that going! The guy in front should be judged just like his qualifying runs. There is no reason why the lead guy should not go 100% provided the "no passing rule" is strictly enforced. The only time a pass is allowed is the lead car is completely out of line and miss the clipping point or spin out.

So I propose:
        1) "no passing rule" - chase car loss that run if a pass occurs.
        2) lead car judged at 90% of qualifying runs - points taken off if lead car does not go 90% of his qualifying runs.
        3) Spin - car that spins loss that run and if the other car does not spin in the next run of the pair and keep a decent drift, the other car wins that round automatically.
        Hubert Young
        KORE 8 Films

Comment

sticking like glue > overtaking

Comment

Honestly the biggest problem I see with this "no passing" rule is they are removing the option of multiple lines and pretty much forcing everyone to run the same line every time, how boring is that. Personally I like variety, I like to see two people with two different styles run two different lines, let it be one inside and one outside or whatever, I like to see how they adapt to the situation and see who comes out on top, I also like to see someone stick on em like *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing duct tape. I DO however hate this *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored* attempted inside line passing *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* on every run, or the dropping of angle to catch up and lock on stuff. Its lame so something does need to be done.

In all there needs to be a compromise, why not narrow the possible lines down instead of cutting all but one out. Why not make a set of rules at the beginning of a series and stick with them instead of changing them at every event, just make some rules and stick to em fellas if they don't work change em next year.

Oh well I'm sure it will all work out sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierDrifter
              sticking like glue > overtaking
              Agreed

Comment

shallow line overtaking with angle > sticking like glue with shallow angle

Comment

Being my first post let me start off by saying great site you guys have! Lots of great discusion going on, and great feed back from the drivers!

I really hate this new "rule" as there calling it. I really felt that Kazu was jipped . I understand that the object is not to pass, but i felt the old "rule" was much better. "Drifting is not allowed unless you can do it in drift while still holing your line/speed/angle." Thats one of the aspects that makes the sport as exciting as it is. Kazu ran a good line and even had more angle than Casper. Like MR Two said, it getts preety boring watching the same line being driven over and over. I know that shows consistancy on the drivers, but the diverse driving of each driver makes the sport as well.
                  The biggest thing is that rules are being changed at each event. One event somone gets passed, and is automaticly given a zero. The next even a "one more time" is called. It makes it very difficult for those just getting into the sport to understand how it works.

Comment

Well im my oppinion i think that Casper should have held his line and clipped the first corner closer but he didnt which left him open for a pass and Kazu carried more speed and a closer clipping point. This is still considered a Race so that means to not get passed you need to protect your position with your line. Well that just my take on it.

Comment

man u know what formula d is doing is dumbing down the sport. it makes it boring. if they want the sport of drifting to continue to grow they shouldnt take away its rawness and leave the judging of the qualifying runs as just that. i think it is up to the lead car to protect the passing line while maintaining max angle and speed and if he does that there will be no passing. i also think that it is up to the chase driver to adjust to the lines of the lead car so that they can set them up to get to the inside or even a pass, while maintaining good angle and speed. who ever does this the best should win. if the follwoing car just mirrored the lead car perfectly then it would just be a tie every time. there has to be a way a driver can get an advantage by manuvering their car to a better position on the track.

Comment

I say good call judges. Drifting is an art but certain drivers out there are making it a race. The sport is about showcasing complete car control, not dirty driving techniques to get ahead or screw up the guy behind you. Anytime there is contact I think everyone lost because there was some ammount of control that was lost. I agree with Mikespeed and Hubert and the rest, the skill in tandem is following, not passing. Judges are only reacting to what certain drivers are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                          I say good call judges. Drifting is an art but certain drivers out there are making it a race. The sport is about showcasing complete car control, not dirty driving techniques to get ahead or screw up the guy behind you. Anytime there is contact I think everyone lost because there was some ammount of control that was lost. I agree with Mikespeed and Hubert and the rest, the skill in tandem is following, not passing. Judges are only reacting to what certain drivers are doing.
                          that is not what tsuisou drifting is about, if that is all you want to see then go watch D1 team drifting or BM Cup twin drifting competions.

Comment

what the F#*k do you know about tsuiso? do you have magical japan pants that tell you penis fairy tales? whatever the f#*k Pfeiffer and Yen say is what stands in FD. If Kazu disagreed with the rule, he should have spoken up during the drivers' meeting before breaking it in competition.

Kazu's pass was not "clean." it was not "D1 style." it was pure, sopping wet vagina. he probably didn't even intend to pass... he just f#*ked up and couldn't go wide enough.

taking a shallow line isn't honorable and it doesn't show any more skill than the one taking an outside line.

a shallow line = less distance travelled.

that's like some f#*ktard signing up for a cross-country race and starting in Texas. yeah, he'll make it to California first, but does he deserve a trophy for covering half the distance faster than anyone covered the entire distance?

No, he deserves a douche nozzle hat, and so do you kids.

Jriftking, do you drift the short-bus to school? what the hell is raw about drift racing? Go jerk off to Tokyo Drift. Is Formula 1 raw? What about D1? Keeping your precious "rawness" is impossible in a nationally televised motorsport, with the exception of WRC. The fact that WRC is simply a point-A to point-B race without any complicated rules regarding line or passing does allow it to stay rather raw, but this sort of thing is impossible in drifting.

It comes down to the simple fact that drifting is f#*king slow. you want to go faster? decrease angle or travel a shorter distance. that makes for a pretty weak drift race.

if you want raw drift racing, go watch or drive in Driftfest. It still maintains those pass-happy rules of drift racing, and it's traveling across the country.

Driftin180sx, no beef with you... but the line illustrated by the judges encouraged a wide entry, and they said they'd dock points for clipping that inside corner. This isn't a race, as the rest of my post hopefully makes clear.

now, if you kids still want the objective of "drift racing" to be a "big f#*k you" to the guy you're following, just think about how much more humiliating it is to have a guy mimic your line while making it better.

Like, which is more humiliating:

a) This guy f#*ks a girl that's hotter than your girlfriend.

b) This guy f#*ks your girlfriend and does it better than you.

Of course, passing isn't quite like screwing a hot girl.... in this case it's more like screwing the drunk chick at a party 'cause she's easy. there's no sport in it, it's just cheap.

okay, i'm done. behold my festival of hate.
                            Last edited by ohtagerbilhero; 07-16-2006, 03:31 PM.

Comment

also, the current Formula D rules still allow passing, but only by taking advantage of the leader's poor line. If the leader goes wide, the chaser can get a nose in or pass, depending on how much room there is. If you see that happen, you can be sure the chaser is genuinely driving better than the leader.

...and so ends THE ADDENDUM OF HATE.

Comment

Originally posted by ohtagerbilhero

Jriftking, do you drift the short-bus to school? what the hell is raw about drift racing? Go jerk off to Tokyo Drift. Is Formula 1 raw? What about D1? Keeping your precious "rawness" is impossible in a nationally televised motorsport, with the exception of WRC. The fact that WRC is simply a point-A to point-B race without any complicated rules regarding line or passing does allow it to stay rather raw, but this sort of thing is impossible in drifting.

It comes down to the simple fact that drifting is f#*king slow. you want to go faster? decrease angle or travel a shorter distance. that makes for a pretty weak drift race.

if you want raw drift racing, go watch or drive in Driftfest. It still maintains those pass-happy rules of drift racing, and it's traveling across the country.

Driftin180sx, no beef with you... but the line illustrated by the judges encouraged a wide entry, and they said they'd dock points for clipping that inside corner. This isn't a race, as the rest of my post hopefully makes clear.

now, if you kids still want the objective of "drift racing" to be a "big f#*k you" to the guy you're following, just think about how much more humiliating it is to have a guy mimic your line while making it better.
                                when did drifting ever turned into drift racing? i think overtaking a car should have at least more priority ONLY to point out the fact that the leader phucked up.

Comment

Working...
                                X