Cars for drifting/track use only...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars for drifting/track use only...

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything on this subject. I may have missed it though. How many of you have cars for track use only? Meaning stripped down, non-street legal, swapped motor, towing to the track, etc. Just checking to see how many of you are out there. If you would like to, post pics/specs.

Well, most drift events, pro especially require that the car be street legal so there won't be many.
    I know when I have my drift car all fully setup it will mostly be a trailer queen from event to event but that's just to avaoid unnecessary wear.
    I met a guy from home though (Washington) that drove his 86 down to cali for a D1 driver search. Not what I would want to do but if you want to make it bad enough...

You'd mostly find non street legals in drag and autocross events.

Comment

i have a track only 240. completely stripped of the non essentials. its all suspension work so far. but its fun.

Comment

i have a track beater thats street legal so i can drive and tune it on the streets b4 the events. i need to sell my grand prix so i can get a trailer and a tow vehicle. i hate borrowing

heres pics of my track beater
        http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17111
        Last edited by HoosierDrifter; 12-05-2005, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FR_Madness
          Well, most drift events, pro especially require that the car be street legal so there won't be many.
          I know when I have my drift car all fully setup it will mostly be a trailer queen from event to event but that's just to avaoid unnecessary wear.
          I met a guy from home though (Washington) that drove his 86 down to cali for a D1 driver search. Not what I would want to do but if you want to make it bad enough...

You'd mostly find non street legals in drag and autocross events.
          that's not true. Of all of the cars in Formula D, i don't think any of them are registered on the street. MAYBE the s14 conrad drove this year and the bubba drift el camino... but they're all trailored to events. All of the RHD cars are definately not street legal (Dai's car, Hiro's car, the falken 180, etc).

There are several cars even at local drift day events in SoCal that are trailored it's crazy. Not so much because they have to be, but because it's easier to be safe.

Comment

I bet Those imported s15s are not legal if you tried to drive one on the street and got pulled over you car would be a cube of steel inside a month.

Comment

i drag my car to the track because last year i hit a wall backwards and was stranded for two days...

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd
                that's not true. Of all of the cars in Formula D, i don't think any of them are registered on the street. MAYBE the s14 conrad drove this year and the bubba drift el camino... but they're all trailored to events. All of the RHD cars are definately not street legal (Dai's car, Hiro's car, the falken 180, etc).

There are several cars even at local drift day events in SoCal that are trailored it's crazy. Not so much because they have to be, but because it's easier to be safe.
                Good call good call. Though I wasn't saying they were registered for street use exactly. I was under the impression that D1 and FD required a vehicle to be "street legal" before entering. However on further research I didn't find anything like that in the rules & regs. My bad.

But I fully agree with trailoring your ride to an event. Why take the risk of something going wrong on the way there?

Comment

I say build it for the track, then use it on the street.

Comment

Haha, I don't see how that can be a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by FR_Madness
                      Haha, I don't see how that can be a bad idea.
                      How all bad ideas start lol

Comment

D1 has a street legal division, that bans many modifications (must have full dash, all options in cluding AC, no lexan, no engine swaps, no air jacks, etc) but it's just another part of the D1 series. Kinda like how the drag races have 'street', 'mild', and 'pro' classes for all cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd

other cars that were entered into several FD events this year that are actually driven on the street. dgtrials.com car from new york, dunlop car from new jersey, carluch motorsports car from new jersey

Comment

Working...
                          X