drifting a 90 5.0 mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drifting a 90 5.0 mustang

hey i am really getting into drifting and the scene and i am gonna pick up a onevia to start out with which i no is great for drifting but as of now i have a 5.0 mustang which is set up for drag racing of coarse but i am gonna send my car out to steeda to get a full drift suspension goin, how do you guys feel about drifting an american car such as a 5.0 mustang???? check my car out heres the link

http://members.cardomain.com/whitefiveoh

hey man what's up....

i owned a 1988 5.0 LX notchback for a year and let me tell yah, it was a handful. first off the car is very nose heavy and not balanced very well, and second, with the short wheel base and so much torque...it's quite tail happy. but it can be done. i never got good at drifting it..but it was basically all stock except for lowering springs, upgraded struts and the police package sway bars. i really miss that car but i'm more happy with my current drift setup with the mazda roadster i've got now. great 50/50 balance and light weight is easy to toss around.

right before i sold my mustang i made a list of parts to help set it up for drift and here was my list:

Steeda G-tract bar $40
    Steeda Subfram conn. 75
    Steeda Cross Brace kit 25
    Steeda Cast./Cam. plts 170
    Steeda Strut tower brc 100
    Steeda Rear Sway bar 120
    BBK Control Arms 290
    MM Panhard Bar 313
    H&R Race Springs 230

yeah i like the steeda parts alot...had them on my old 'stang and my friends run their stuff too. also you alignment settings will help that car out a bunch too. so good luck and let me know how it goes.

ps: deff. upgrade your shocks and springs and get a panhard bar and caster/camber plates.

Comment

fox body mustang drift cars are rare right??? where i live theer al drag cars, i wanna do sumthin different thou,

Comment

For a small point in time I tried to drift a fox body mustang. It was a 85 SVO, 2.3ltr with a Garret T3 turbo @ 14 psi (PE comp, 35# inj, Volvo740 front mount IC, downpipe and single 2.5" flowmaster exhaust), with a B/W world class 5 speed and a 3.45 7.7" rearend. The suspension was stock, but the SVO suspension is pretty good from the factory (and the car was light, 2900 lb curbweight). I didnt like the feel of the fox body stang. Even with the light 4cyl in the front, the front had a tendancy to understeer and plow. And when I did get the car to oversteer, it would snap back the other way really hard (snap oversteer). I did pull off some nice drifts up on the mountain, but when I tried it at the track it dodnt work out so well. It was really fun, but also really hard to keep the car sliding around the course. I decided to ditch the fox body stang and go back to my first drift car, a 89 chevy camaro rs. If you want to drift a fox body stang I recommend you run a small swaybar in the front and a big swaybar in the rear, this will help with the understeer. But I dont know how to stop the snap oversteer, maybe an aftermarket torque arm or something.

Comment

yeah...some even recomend disconnecting the front sway bar at the track to get it to not push so much. also, a panhard rod will majorly help to kill some of the snap. but you will always have some of that in there just because of suspension geometry.

now if you totally want a balanced race suspension that will be easily set up for drift...then i suggest Griggs for you. that's where it's at for the Fox bodies. and also if you keep the 302...go w/a inch or two motor setback kit to help the balance out.

i'm gonna' build a fox drifter one day (when i have major $$$$) just b/c i love those cars. the griggs suspension is the way to go but the GT-40 package is like around 6K for front and rear...expensive to make a fox chasis handel. LOL.

http://www.griggsracing.com/gr40world2.html

Comment

did u guys check out my stang here the pics

http://members.cardomain.com/whitefiveoh

Comment

Hmmm... Interesting choice for a drifter. Not so sure I'd be proud of that car...

Comment

y wouldnt you be proud of my car whats wrong with it???

Comment

Definitely not my taste, that's all.

Comment

And not a very good format for drift, but if that's what you wanna do, no one's stoppin ya.

Comment

its not a very good format to drift???? i dont think there is any complaints, the car gets 300 f/t pounds of torque at 3000 rpm straight from the factory. The weight of the car is rather low also and you can easily send the car out to steeda or even saleen or eibach or you can just order the parts yourself for all the suspenion stuff , yes the car is a little nose heavy but all you need to do is tune it jus right and youll be set with the weigh distribution. actually this is not my screen name, its my best friends who owns a 240 sx and he has been drifting for while and he got me into it and he says i am a natural and for a newbie i have great style and he even drove my car and said my car feels better then most "(drift cars)" feel and my suspenions is close to stock right now so whats wrong wit it

Comment

LOL dont even waste time with this guy. Yeah free motion, only Imports can drift right? Cuz thats what they do in Japan right? Gimme a break. Domestics can drift too. Dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                          LOL dont even waste time with this guy. Yeah free motion, only Imports can drift right? Cuz thats what they do in Japan right? Gimme a break. Domestics can drift too. Dig it.
                          DITTO!

dude our scene is fresh and new and wide open for us to build how we want! i'm with you crazy....i wanna' see domestics, euro trash, and jap cars all drifting on US soil....open it wide open!

Yeah...land of all the free RWD cars to drift. that's what i'm talking about.

Comment

I've said it before, drifting's been around since automobiles were aggressively driven. I'm never said there should be any restrictions on it. Drifting a Mustang is cool too, it just wouldn't be one of my first choices.

Comment

Working...
                            X