No announcement yet.

Doing an article for Journalism class.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing an article for Journalism class.

Hi! My name is Niki. I'm doing a feature article on drifting and drifters for my Journalism class. It's my final work for the semester. I need sources who are knowledgeable about drifting. If you'd like to be interviewed, please reply back to this read! Thank you so much! =]

Hello Niki,
    Anyway I can help I'm here.
    I'd be more than happy to help an aspiring journalist.

I'm the "Voice of Drift" feel free to check out my website for any and all info
    www.JarodDeAnda.com

Comment

Thank you so much! Is there a way I can contact you like an email address so I can send you possible questions?

Comment

Please reply back. I've sent you questions to your email that I retrieved from your website. If you didn't get it. Here are the questions again.

· How would you define drifting?

· What does drifting mean to you?

· How did you get into this motorsport?

· Is this more of a hobby or can it turn into a profession? Has it inspired you to go into another profession?

· Are there any ideas, beliefs that you feel put a stigma on drifting?

· Is there a difference between street racing and drifting?

· Are there any drifting-related injuries that you’ve seen occur frequently and how do you prevent that?

· Are there any skills needed to be in this sport? If so what kind of skills?

· Are there any moves or maneuvers that are popular?

· Are there anymore ideas that you feel you would like to add about drifting?

Comment

How would you define drifting?

Oversteer from corner entry following a controlled line to corner exit

What does drifting mean to you?

Fun, community, pastime, stress relief and passion

How did you get into this motorsport?

Being on the internet in 2002 I saw a few videos and I was intrigued by drifting. By 2004 I went and drove in a real event and I was hooked, from there on out drifting had become my life/obsession.

Is this more of a hobby or can it turn into a profession? Has it inspired you to go into another profession?

More of a hobby at my level since I don't really have a lot of talent and don't see myself getting to the level to where I could support myself by drifting alone. There are people who can but they are an elite few.

Are there any ideas, beliefs that you feel put a stigma on drifting?

Many people who engage in other forms of motorsport or are outsiders looking in sometimes have a hard time grasping the concept of driving purely for the fun of it. They see motorsports as a sort of cut throat competition and if you aren't in it to win it then it is a waste of time and money. Most people drift because its not like other motorsports. Its about going out having fun with your friends and having a good time not about beating everyone else.

Is there a difference between street racing and drifting?

Of course, now there are still many people who street drift but it is not something the general drifting population condones. Street racing is often done with no real regard to personal or public safety. That being said Legal drifting is performed at safe and controlled venues where no one will be in harms way. Grass roots events are set up to give people a place to practice without having to resort to sliding around some random back road or industrial complex.

Are there any drifting-related injuries that you’ve seen occur frequently and how do you prevent that?

Now I have been watching/participating/course working at events since 2004 and I have only personally witnessed 2 injuries and they mostly involved a hard crash into someone else and the steering wheel spinning around hard enough to sprain a wrist. I have never in the 78 events I have attended seen any serious injuries.

Are there any skills needed to be in this sport? If so what kind of skills?

Openmindedness and the willingness to learn and ask questions.

Are there any moves or maneuvers that are popular?

Well generally what you want is the back end to come around a bit then you catch it and ride it out, that one is pretty popular.

Are there anymore ideas that you feel you would like to add about drifting?

Drifting isn't something you do to get famous or use to win popularity contests. Its not a way to prove you are better than other people. It is something you live for, a reason to keep moving forward in life. A peaceful world surrounded by smoke and noise.
          Last edited by Piner; 11-28-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

If you need to use bits of my articles and interviews, you can, just do your resources thing. If you have any more questions PM me!

Comment

How would you define drifting?

Automotive self expression

What does drifting mean to you?

On a professional level its purely entertainment to me. On my personal level its a cheap fun way to express my self through my automobile.

How did you get into this motorsport?

Around 2001/2002 my dad had these old option VHS tapes. No subtitles no nothing... didn't know what to call it. Later on a friend approached me with a DVD that was actually in English and that's how we learned the actual word drifting. Soon after that Import Showoff showed up and D1GP came to America and the rest is history.

I was born and raised a F1 fan prior and also did a bit of karting and SCCA stuff.

Is this more of a hobby or can it turn into a profession? Has it inspired you to go into another profession?

For most "pros" this is a expensive hobby, but with the right promotion and marketing I see one self making a living behind the seat and or underneath a car.

It kinda has inspired me to get into another profession... but in a reverse order. I currently work as a regional lost prevention manager for a OEM Aftermarket retailer, but when I first got started out in this "industry" it was in promotion and presentation (lol). Even though I did not work drift events, it made going to them feel almost like work. So I had to quit lol.

Are there any ideas, beliefs that you feel put a stigma on drifting?

I don't know if its a stigma... but I hate how some "fans" act like they can seriously do what some of the pros do. It frustrates me as a fan to hear another attendee criticizes a competitors actions and compare it to theirs. I feel the sport of drifting should glorify the competitors skill rather then the machines and the overall action.

Is there a difference between street racing and drifting?

Street Drifting vs Street Racing?

or

Pro Drifting vs Street Racing?

For a long time I was a hardcore street "drifter" but we never felt like we were breaking the law or putting ones life in danger. We never bragged about what we did, showed off our spots, or encouraged spectating. Unlike street racing, where everyone knows the spot and spectators are common usually doing other illegal activities while the action is going on. Either way this isn't Japan, cops don't show up and say "safteydriving" through a loud speaker until you leave. In America if tickets aren't written the department cuts hours.

Keep it off the street if you can

Are there any drifting-related injuries that you’ve seen occur frequently and how do you prevent that?

Personally, I never seen anyone get hurt except a couple rabbits and a coyote.

Are there any skills needed to be in this sport? If so what kind of skills?

Fast reflex, good eyes, good memory.

Are there any moves or maneuvers that are popular?

My philosophy was always kick the clutch and just weight transfer from there. Then again I always drove underpowered vehicles.

Are there anymore ideas that you feel you would like to add about drifting?

I got plenty... just look around the forum lol.

Comment

Working...
              X