X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Irwindale 2009

(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Irwindale 2009

Please post your feedback on this thread

Really a stellar event. Had a lot of fun, some seriously great driving. One of the members at the Irwindale staff lefter the heater on though

Aside from the heat, no real complaints from me.

Oh, and wanted to add, the car show diversity was WAAAAYYYYY better this year than it has been the last few years. It was a nice touch.

Thanks again and hope to see you guys at some sort of world championship again this year.. wink wink nudge nudge

Comment

thanks DRIFTING.COM! todays event at the speedway was awesome! although the heat seemed unbareable at times i enjoyed myself plenty. it was nice to FINALLY see drifting live, and it did not dissappoint! things got to the knitty gritty for the final rounds! we saw some bumper damage and i was in suspense just about each time i thought a car was getting too close to another. the crowd was jumping,applauding and stomping and it felt great to be part of that.i even took a photo of taka aono and his siiiick corolla! i hope this is the first of many events im to attend. and its safe to say that i finally popped my drift cherry! lol ... once again, THANKS!

Comment

the only thing i saw as a problem was the reserved seating. alot of people were in the wrong spots and then it became a problem when the stands filled up and people couldnt get any seats.

also, when tickets were first being sold online only the area near the bottom was available and then later after i had already bought my ticket alot of seats opened up at the top which was a seat i wud have rather had.

Comment

Overall, it was a great event!

- there was a lot of side activities happening throughout the day that kept the crowd busy, a lot more so than at other events this year. Far Eat movement, autographs, need for speed competition, lots of giveaways from all the vendors, a huge car show area, etc...

- The top 16 tandem flowed really really well this time. A lot less downtime between runs than at other events, which was much appreciated.

- Having the majority of the competition after the sun went down also helped.

- We ran on schedule!! yay!

A couple of suggestions for changes:

- I'd like to hear the qualifying scores and speeds more often during qualifying. I feel like I only heard 1 of every 5 runs. I also like to hear what the "bump score" is after the first set of runs. I like keeping track of that stuff on my own while I'm shooting.

- I think the center media position in the middle of the track could have been slightly bigger. I think a lot of media people didn't go there because it was so small (which worked out ok because it wasn't crowded), but it wouldn't have taken much to make it slightly bigger.

- I think Mishimoto passing out glowsticks during Shaun's tribute video was tasteless. They couldn't wait 5 whole minutes?!? I know they're relatively new to this industry and probably didn't have any interaction with Shaun, but that video meant a lot to a lot of people there, and I thought it was very disrespectful.

that's pretty much all. Overall, I thought this year was a GREAT year, and Irwindale was a great way to cap everything off!

Comment

great event,

everyone who I talked to so far really enjoyed themselves and they would definitely go back next year

Comment

That was probably the best event I have ever attended. Every aspect of the event was well executed. Most of all, the drifting was awesome. Guys really stepped up their game. I am very impressed with the upcoming talent in Formula D.

btw What is the attendance record for a drifting event? The turnout was HUUUUGGGE.

Comment

Yes, Slapshot...passing out stuff with everybody standing up and screaming during a tribute or shooting stuff into the crowd with two cars lined up ready to go is really distracting and annoying - maybe official breaks for sponsors to throw/shoot their merchandise into the crowd?

Overall, the event was just spectacular. Thank you Jim, Ryan and the rest of the staff @ FD for really making this one a fun, safe and super exciting event for all.

PS- Cassidy and team out at the red tent will call booth deserve extra special props as I went out to the parking lot a few times during the night and they were their ALL DAY, tending will call requests even up until the very end of the event. Plenty of medical staff, plenty of law enforcement...I saw MANY small children with their families and I thought, "Wow, how cool is this that families can come to an event like this with small children?!" Very cool.

Comment

Had a great time at Irwindale. I went with my little cousin it was his first drift show and he had a blast. I must admit I didnt expect certain drivers to get far or eliminated early. Walking around checking out the booths was cool and the little car show was tight. I cant complain I had fun overall it was a great event.

Comment

First and Foremost

Big ups to all the privateers out there giving all they got. You guys are the reason why I show up to these events. Thanks for proving you don't have to have a big budget or allot of sponsors if any to give a good showing.

Tommy Suell
                    Matt "takes yo" Powers
                    Mike Essa
                    Doug D.
                    Joon Maeng

THANK YOU!!!!

OK, Judging.... damn.... this event probably had the worst calls I seen in 2 years.

JR vs Alex - why no omt?

JR ran that same chase line in 08 and won the event.But now we don't like the effective high low high line? He caught up at the end of the first point and kept a good distance in the inner oval. THERE WAS NO WINNER AT THE END OF THAT BATTLE OMT WAS NEEDED!!!!

Joon vs Sam - Double Spin no one should move on

During there OMT both drivers spun but Sam was given the win due to the fact he had a better line despite the spin. Since when does any run that results in a spin deemed to earn any points. Both drivers had ZEROS and a OMT should have took place. Once again, THERE WERE NO WINNERS IN THAT BATTLE!!!!

I was sitting near a couple who have been attending drift events for just as long as me. But they were not up to date with points race standings. I kinda gave them the run down how essentially fors will clinch it with a top 32 win and everyone from tyler to hampsha were fighting out for second and third. They saw me getting frustrated after JRs loss and Joons loss and the young man tapped me on the shoulder while everyone was booing after Joon vs Sam. The guy asked me with a smirk "is this staged like wwf, or are the judges incompetent like mma?". I shook my head and replied "At this point I have no clue".

Other then that, Thank you Formula D for another amazingly action packed smooth event. J-Rod keep doing your thing on the mic, I like how you encourage the crowd to scream, shout, stomp, cheer and boo. Thank you to irwindale for keep letting us back year after year. And another big thanks too all the sponsors for supporting the series, and all the fans young and old that keep on showing up. Best crowd of quite some time!!

We didn't get all three but 1 and 2 is better then none GO DA/MAXXXXXIIISSSSSS

RIP Shaun, You will be missed

Comment

Joon vs Sam - Double Spin no one should move on

During there OMT both drivers spun but Sam was given the win due to the fact he had a better line despite the spin. Since when does any run that results in a spin deemed to earn any points. Both drivers had ZEROS and a OMT should have took place. Once again, THERE WERE NO WINNERS IN THAT BATTLE!!!!
                      Blaze, as a very vocal ambassador to the sport, you should pay more attention or learn more on how judging has progressed this year. The Joone vs. Sam ruling was very clear and without any disagreement from all three judges.

We have two speed guns at two critical locations and we have all drivers practice and qualifying speeds documented throughout the weekend to establish where their average is in both zones. This helps us see more clearly if there was any sandbagging, break checking or more likely, big mess-up's. In the drivers meetings, the drivers are told 5 mph + or - of their average speed in those zones is ok, but anything more than that is going to be taken into consideration. If you noticed when Sam spun it was done because Joone had almost slowed down almost to a stop in front of him on the inner bank. This was double verified by the speed showing a massive reduction Joone's typical speeds in that area and WAY outside the +,- 5 MPH. So in short that spin was not charged to Sam as his fault. Additionally, this was explained clearly on the PA by Tony Angelo

Hope that helps.

Comment

i heard people boo'ing during Shauns tribute video. soooo disrespectful.

also while out by Joons booth, i heard these 2 dudes talkin about taking parts off Tommy Roberts car since he crashed. wtf. like seriously?

spectators often piss me off like that. but overall it was a fun event.

Comment

Formula D

You have a anouncer saying one thing and a judge saying another.

There were many times during the event J-Rod said the faster driver must be careful and must adjust to a slower drivers line when chasing.

If your logic is correct Matt Powers should had been eliminated in the top 32 because he tapped the wall lost alot of speed in the transition and Eric ended up crashing into the barriers.

If this +/- 5mph rule is now law you guys need to put forth a better effort in enforcing it at all times and also. Like someone else already said, we had no info on speeds, amount of angle or even details about the scores to begin with.

I'm not sitting up here and saying so and so should have won or loss, just saying that there was no real winner in the fans eyes *note the boos*. Me personaly, a spin is a spin unless someone else spins in front of you.

"its the chase drivers job to mirror the lead driver line at all times no matter what"

"the lead car is a moving clipping point for the chaser"

Love you too FD
                          Last edited by Bebop; 10-19-2009, 11:58 AM.

Comment

blaze...say no to the drift box. let the judges do the best job they can....

Comment

Originally posted by akuma S14 View Post
                              blaze...say no to the drift box. let the judges do the best job they can....
                              hold the eff up lol

Who ever said anything about a drift box!!

Comment

Working...
                              X