No announcement yet.

V4, V6, or V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i didn't know dictionaries taught you about different types of engines.

Comment

i'm not saying that. i'm saying that it's not a reliable source for information.i would use another source for information. some things on there are right, alot of things are misimformative or under researched. or something someone just felt like submitting. i'm just saying a site like that isn't s good site as an educational reference.

i'm still looking for some tool suggestions. guys in my shop say i'm crazy for wanting a torque wrench or an air gun with a set of torque sticks. they told me you only need the air gun, the torque sticks and wrench are for fragile rims, or torquing engines. i then told them that if the rims aren't torque right, they could do more damage to your car than anything. the place i work at doesn't do alignments or build engines, so i want to try to send cars out that will have some sort of control on the street.

Originally posted by free motion View Post
      "v" refers to the layout of the cylinders. Four cylinders are %99.99 inline.

And the AEs have both fwd and rwd options.
      isn't the most common 240 swap a 4 cylinder swap? the sr20det is a v4 if i'm not mistaken. and no one has answered my question yet. is a v6 good for drifting?
      Last edited by ; 01-06-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

To answer your question, at the point your at it shouldn't matter nearly what motor you get, just get out there and get track time and decide if you like the sport. A v6 will work just as well as many other cars, certain people might have their preferences to different motors though.

Also the sr20 is not a v4 this has been talked about already, if you were to look at the engine from the front, a v8 looks like a V with 4 cylinders on each side. the sr20 instead is an inline 4, if you were to look at it from the front it would not be a V but more like an I i guess. There are also inline 6 cylinder motors, not just v6's out there.

inline 4

Straight six

v6 (notice the similarity in the shape of the block to the V8, same goes for a v10, and even v12 design)

v8

And wikipedia has references at the bottom of the page, its not just randomly spewed out information it has proof and resources to back up everything on the page, if not it gets deleted most of the time.
        Last edited by gigglesnirt; 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

i always mix up verticle and transmounted engines. if the valves go from left to right, they are inline with each either, if they are front to back, they are verticle to the car. the v is the shape the pistons go while on the crankshaft (hence ford v6 or v8 engines). inline is when each valve has it's own channel on the crankshaft. v engines share channels (unless it's v4). rotary is like a giant gear that spins along the inside of another gear on one side of the engine. i should have said that the sr20 is a common 4-valve swap instead. i'm just looking for a cheap way to find any horsepower i would be missing if i had a weak engine. i wouldn't think that a 6-valve engine would lack horsepower. i've heard that you need to have 250hp at least to drift well, and i know you have to put alot of money into a 4-valve engine to have any speed at all.

i've heard that Tein has a strut coilover set that is adjustable for on the fly height settings. if anyone knows the name of this system, could you tell me (i feel too lazy to look it up myself. i'll probablly look it up once i finally have a car ). that would be kinda phat to have a car with that system. that would be pretty darn kinda phat to have a setting for drifting, 1/4 mile, and normal settings to be able to use without having to go to the shop or cut springs to raise and lower the car.

Comment

You dont need much power, learning on lower the power the better. I started off with a 90hp (probably more like 80 or so at my altitude) rx7, and did just fine. If you feel you want more power later on go for it but power is not the biggest necessity when drifting its mainly lsd, suspension and tires. Best thing i think for you is go to an event near you, check it out, talk with some people, ask plenty of questions and just learn learn learn. From there you should have a good idea of what is and is not needed to start drifting.

Comment

i'm just having trouble figuring out what kind of car i want to get. i know you don't need much power, i want a car with the power i need to get good. it would be good if it had all the power that i would nee, but i don't want to have to get another car to get alot of power. i want to have one car that has the power i need. i want a car that i can keep. not a car i would have to junk to get the power i'm looking for. again, this would be my everyday car until i get the money for a car i can call my family car, or just a second car (which i will probably do the same thing to). i want to get all i can from a car before i decide to get rid of it.

Comment

just buy a 240, keep the stock motor in it for a while and work on the above listed. Later on when you get confident start doing whatever to the car for more power. Its not like those are lacking power or anything anyone should do fine in it as a beginner car and its not hard to get all the power you want later on whether you want a more powerful 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, or 8 later on.

Comment

Power

i wouldn't plan on putting a stronger engine in a car without upgrading the transmission. you eventually have to drop the tranny when you upgrade a cars engine. you can only drive but for so long on a regular transmission. the torque would be so great, that you would screw your transmission from simply putting the car in 1st gear. the engine should be one of the last things you do. you should do the suspension, brakes, before you get to the transmission and engine aspect of a car. you have to decide what engine and transmission you will put into a car to determine if you have to change anything else in the car. i know that upping a cars power has it's downside.

i don't care what anyone says, it's hard to find 240s, silvias, supras, or anyother kind of beginner car, cheap and manual. this is the main reason i want to be different with a car. you don't only always see those cars around here, they are also hard to find. anyone that has one, if it's a manual, they have put money into it. you wouldn't be getting a cheap car. and if you can find one that no one has upgraded yet, the car is either a automatic or would be the king of car a shop would have to back.
                  Last edited by ; 01-07-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

i assumed anyone would think the tranny would be common sense if you are going for a more powerful motor, not to mention you cant simply bolt any motor to any tranny. the last post wasn't about that it was about how you just need to get a car and get some track time and not worry about power the least bit yet. Later, months after you start going to the track and start to really learn then you can move on to whatever you feel necessary. this thread isn't really going anywhere i feel like im just repeating the same stuff over and over.

Comment

you are. the guy's retarded.

Comment

man, i am dead broke. i'm 26 and i still live with my parents. my bank account has REALLY been overdrawn since october. my family hates me, they steal from me, and honestly, i don't think i'm ever gonna buy another car after i get a car, just for the fact that i would have to try and support my living situation and try to have money to raise a family. plus, i would have to invest in some tools so i can do a good job fixing cars. i understand i just need the practice, i'm not in a rush to go drifting. i have more important priorities to worry about right now, so when i buy a car, it's a car i would drive until i'm a grandfather. i'm on a budget of a wish and a hope right now. i'm just hoping my wish becomes reality soon.

Comment

I feel for you. I truly do. The "budget of a wish and a hope" comment is perfect. I think we all at least at some point are just like that. But realistically, you need to concentrate on daily transportation. You can drift in a car with 90 HP and unless you intend to turn pro, why would you ever need a car that has 600 HP. Leave the professional level cars to the pros. You want to drift, do it recreationally and enjoy yourself. Drifting is already an expensive enough sport without trying to maintain a professional level car. Get something cheap and RWD. That's all you need. Enjoy it....as is. Modify it as your budget and time permit, but honestly. This isn't a sport for the light at heart if you want to be competitive. But how many people really have any realistic intentions of ever turning pro. So why are there so many RB swaps, basically it's rice. Most professional drivers stables are full of 300 HP cars. That is as much as you would ever want to enjoy yourself.

My honest advice would be to buy a reliable RWD car. Drive it and drift rarely, just to enjoy yourself. Or... concentrate on just getting you some daily transportation for now, save up for a while and buy you a $300 junkyard car to take to the track and flog on the weekends. But drifting your daily transportation isn't really the greatest idea. Ruined trannies, brakes, tires, and crunched panels are the norm. And you don't want to compound the problem by beating the car that gets you to work on Monday morning.

I like that you're not in a rush to go drifting, and that's realistic, there is no realistic reason anybody can hate on you for that. I'm the same way. I only have RWD cars, but I'm not going to beat them. I'm taking my time and getting my drift car together, doesn't mean I don't drift them when I find an oppurtunity, but I'm not constantly at events, and I've been drifting since '01. If someone wants to hate on me for that. Feel free, but I'm not going to put myself and my kids on the line for a hobby. ......But, if you're not in a rush, don't start a ton of threads about this car or that car. You'll just get flamed a lot and lose interest in the sport. Lurk, use the search button, or pm me or anybody else that seems helpful. There are a ton of guys that want to encourage newcomers and aren't the drifting elitist posers, but we have to do so realistically. If you want to learn, you SHOULD be on this forum, DC, or any other drifting forum. But if you aren't even ready to begin, you shouldn't even be posting in the beginner's section.

I'm not bashing you, or knockin you, or whatever. Just trying to give you the most realistic, most helpful advice I can.

Comment

it's ust kinda hard if the only kind of driving you know is how people tell you how not to drive. i ain't no pro, but i know what to do if you get chased by a cop (run, don't flip the car, and don't get pitted). i learned how to drive by driving in the streets. that's the only way i know how to drive, like i'm from "...the f*ckin hood...". anything i learn from here is new to me anyway. from dirt nothing to rollin big is hard to do in my town. i have already been close to losing my life last year (i was robbed and hit in the eye with a brick. when i was robbed, they hit me with a gun to knock me out instead of shooting me to rob me). blunt force trauma to the head is what they told me in the ER. now, i have a titanium plate in my face and on the bridge of my nose from being hit with the brick (i'm cross-eyed whenever i look down now). not much can shake me, unless you catch me offguard. i don't practice because i'm scared (you can go do somekind of drifting in any car), i don't because i don't know what i'm doing. i do alot of things right, and alot of things wrong. i just want to make my everyday car (whatever in the world it may be) into a car i can drift, or even drift and use as a show car.

Comment

Originally posted by CivicGhost99 View Post
                              i just want to make my everyday car (whatever in the world it may be) into a car i can drift, or even drift and use as a show car.
                              You really need to reread everything posted again....

Comment

i'm probably end up buying a 240. that's the only car around here i can find. the only downside is most of them aren't manual (i just hope i don't do what i did last time, lose my patience and buy a civic). someone i work with knows someone with a 98' supra. i think that's one of the last two years they were made. 98' and 99' the supra was only released in japan, i think. i know i won't have a car before the summer. i just hope i can scoop up whatever i can get my hands on.

Comment

Working...
                                X