99 Mazda Miata MX-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Mazda Miata MX-5

Hey... Do people think that its insane of me to drift in a mazda miata?? I think its a perfect car. Small, rear wheel drive, fast engine. But i dont know, if you know of anything wrong with drifting in it, or if you have any suggestions for which technique works best, that would be great. Thanks!

id say that if its set up right...

yea! go for it... my friend dan from dan's toy (pj bonifacio's head mechanic) is working on his latest car which is a fenderflared 13b rotary powered miata.. i think thats gonna be a sick car... when its done.. he's tha guy who did the latest levin in superstreet with tha 3sge engine... pretty sick car.. haha

Comment

No you're not crazy its a great little car. Very nimble.
      I use a very heavy feint w/ trail brake to drift.

later,
      Ryan
      Attached Files

Comment

Props to people who drift Miatas. I personally think it's a way-underestimated car as far as drifting is concerned. Too bad they don't have any hard-top miatas over here.

Comment

welp gotta jump in on this one

oh yeah the Roadster kicks azz, and depending how yah set it up is a definate competator for any event.
          i agree a deep feint tah keep it out there, cause of the short wheel base and light weight the car wants to handle and keep traction so puttin it out there takes dedication. and a good feint throw, once yah get it.
          drive with wrist weights, then takem off when drifting gives the wheel a more controlable light feel. The rest is roadster habbit things youll pick up about the cars attitude and suspension setup.
          Thrill
          Attached Files

Comment

My 95 miata is a blast to drift. Well it was untill I got my Falken Azenis tires on, now it's way to hard to brake loose on my n/a miata. Good thing I got a pair of steelies for drifting.

Comment

Shocks...

I'm looking for some decent suspension, maybe coil-overs... (I dont know anything about cars, i just know how to drift) that are cheap... I really want my car to be more lvl when I drift. Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

I got myself a 2000 miata about a month ago, and i have been drifting it. (I just started, and it's my first drift car.) It's amazing. I usually give it a light feint, and a clutch kick (not sure if that's the name. i'm usually sitting around 5-6k rpms, and i pop the clutch in and out really quick) to get the rear wheels out, and then just let the car do the rest. I let the steering wheel go were it needs to , catch it when necessary and do a little throttle control. it's working out great for me.

just two little vids of my practicing.
                http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...ted_161810.htm
                http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...day_161807.htm

And those videos were taken my second day drifting.
                (I studied the stuff for years before i ever got a car to do it in. it looks as though it paid off. that and a few little tips from some more experienced drifters.)
                Last edited by Neo_Drift; 06-04-2008, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo_Drift View Post
                  I got myself a 2000 miata about a month ago, and i have been drifting it. (I just started, and it's my first drift car.) It's amazing. I usually give it a light feint, and a clutch kick (not sure if that's the name. i'm usually sitting around 5-6k rpms, and i pop the clutch in and out really quick) to get the rear wheels out, and then just let the car do the rest. I let the steering wheel go were it needs to , catch it when necessary and do a little throttle control. it's working out great for me.

just two little vids of my practicing.
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...ted_161810.htm
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...day_161807.htm

And those videos were taken my second day drifting.
                  (I studied the stuff for years before i ever got a car to do it in. it looks as though it paid off. that and a few little tips from some more experienced drifters.)

That sounds like a text-book clutch kick to me. Keep up the practice.

The videos made for some cool shots (especially the one that ends with the wheel right there, could have been a commercial), but it's always helpful to be able to watch yourself on video later. Maybe bring someone along next time to hold the camera?

Comment

yeah, and that was jut the 30 sec. my 3mp kodak takes.
                    i finally found our video camera so i am hoping to take some real vids soon.
                    I wish my battery hadn't been dead at my last drift event though. I had some real nice runs that night.

Comment

Originally posted by LingDown View Post
                      Hey... Do people think that its insane of me to drift in a mazda miata?? I think its a perfect car. Small, rear wheel drive, fast engine. But i dont know, if you know of anything wrong with drifting in it, or if you have any suggestions for which technique works best, that would be great. Thanks!
                      There is no reason why you can't drift it. With stock suspension it might be a bit challenging (not sure as I've never actually driven one), but definitely possible. There is some best motoring video where a totally stock Miata is drifted, I think it is the one with American Touge 3 in it.

Comment

Working...
                      X