Drifting a 1976 2002 BMW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting a 1976 2002 BMW?

..just playing but i do have a question about a drift car.. i did a search and didnt come up with anything.. what do you guys think about a 1976 2002 bmw.. oldschool front engine rwd... the stock ones dont have much power but if you droped a e36 m3 motor in it would be extremly light weight with a big motor.. think it would work? thanks for the help

Of course...but whats the point of even thinking of something of this??? You probably have no idea how much it would cost to purhase an e36 m3 engine.

Stick to the basics and take you're head out of the clouds. Dont mean to be so harsh...whats the point of asking drifting.com something you can't even achive on your own.

If you dont already have the know how..dont ask. And if you do...just do it!!! Why do you need some ones elses opinions!!!

(Reference to making conversions or swapping out engines. Like that lame thread about a van/supra)

...Wow sorry bad rant, its so hot here I cant help it.

Comment

its all good i understanding ranting.. but i was just asking if it would seem logical .. im new to the princples of drifting but not new to the turbocharged bmw world.. i had a 1991 325ix awd with a 95m3 motor in it the motor acaully isnt that expensive i bought one out of the roundel for 5g with the front clip with 60k on it ran beautifuly but i wasnt sure about the the engine weight vs. the rear end weight would cause a problem and if anyone had ever tried drifting a 2002 before and what results they had.. just thinking of ideas for a differnt drifter even tho i am a very big fan of the nissan cars i was just hoping to do somthing different to set me apart from the rest.. im a weird guy
      i will always take constructive critisim.. and my spelling is terrible i know !
      thanks for your input

Comment

If if you think you can do..save up the money and do it. Ive always wanted to have a turbo diesel mercedes to drift. Its a little expensive for parts even though the car would be 10-15 years old. Uh...its a mercedes...yeesh I hate idoits. Anywho yea if you think you can do it, then do it. Dont worry some much as weight ratios. As long as you can get enough speed and momentum thrown when you drift..youll drift.

Comment

Well, if your a guy that doesn't really care about cost....I say go for it. BUT, now you also have to think about different aspects. I'm pretty sure that the E36 motor is a lot heavier than the stock motor that came in it (4cyl 1.8 I believe). Now, also think about the different suspension setup your going to have to have in order to comprehend for this big difference in weight distribution. Also, as well, that will cost you money. Just my 2 cents...because that has always been a concern with my cars...suspension.

Comment

S50/S52 in the 2002? Man, that's a new one. A six-cylinder in the 2002 would screw up the weight distribution so badly it's not even funny. Even the 2.3L S14 weighs more than the 2002's motor. Also, the 2002 is carbureted; you'd have to run custom wiring or engine management.

2002s are NOT good drift cars. The wheelbase is too short and they're too fragile. Give up on that idea.

You want a BMW to drift? Drift an E28, e30, E34, or E36.

Comment

Actually you can drift it...You just have to practice harder. I've drifted a Chevy Malibu AT with a FOOT EBRAKE. It was probably one of the weirdest experiences I have ever had. I've also done a Datsun 2000, Miata, S2K...It's all on how you drive. If you want to go for it, That's your own. Everyone has their own in matter of fact.

Comment

I can see wickdmarz's grandmother right now "Carroll! Caroll! why would you even think of something so stupid, trying to fit that big expensive engine into that little english car, dumb dumb dumb!"

kidding kidding! Shes right though, if your some pro then go ahead, if your new to the drifting world just get a cheap rear wheel drive car and go. This isnt drag racing where you have to do something special to be competitive Projects are cool, but they should never be someone's first drift car in my opinion.

Comment

True, if your new to drifting....don't go with that. But if you at least have suspension knowledge I say go for it.

Comment

I stand firm with my no. The short-wheelbase, semi-trailing-arm setup is even more snap-happy than the e30's and a 28-year-old unibody will hate the pounding. Not to mention the stock steering rack would not work well for drifting and would have to be exchanged for an e30 M3 or E36 M3 rack.

Couple that with reduced parts availability and you have something even a sponsored team would quake at the sight of... not in fear of abilities, but in fear of the repair bills.

Oh, and for the record, I've never said you can't drift it... I've said it would not be a good drift car, and you can hold me to that.

Comment

wouldn't trying to drift a 2002 be sort of like trying to drift a 510?
                      just my little comment

Comment

thanks guys im either looking at a volvo or a 240 now and will work my way up any other crazy drift cars that know one does please let me know ill do one

Comment

what kind of volvo? i've got a 740 myself... if you get one, you'll need to do a bit of suspension tweaking to get the massive understeer out of it. as just for the record, the volvo 240 has a weight dist. that is pretty close to 50/50... something to think about

Comment

Blast from the past.

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech View Post
                            S50/S52 in the 2002? Man, that's a new one. A six-cylinder in the 2002 would screw up the weight distribution so badly it's not even funny. Even the 2.3L S14 weighs more than the 2002's motor. Also, the 2002 is carbureted; you'd have to run custom wiring or engine management.

2002s are NOT good drift cars. The wheelbase is too short and they're too fragile. Give up on that idea.

You want a BMW to drift? Drift an E28, e30, E34, or E36.
                            That is a bunch of BS. BMW 2002's have a longer wheelbase than that of a Nissan s13.

BMW 2002 = 98.4 in (2500 mm)
                            Nissan s13 = 97.4 in (2474 mm)
                            Nissan s14 = 99.4 in (2525 mm)
                            Corolla AE86 = 94.5 in (2400 mm)
                            Mazda Rx7 (FC) = 95.7 in (2430 mm)

a couple short 2002 drifting clips
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74il...rch=bmw%202002
                            http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=2960255

Comment

i loved drifting with my '74 2002. they're easy to slide and control IMO. mine has bilstein's, lowering spring, and bushings ... LSD is beat down, but still easy to slide.

meh ... too bad the things on jack stands in the garage ... but it's comiing back better than ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X