No announcement yet.

How does D1 define street legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its good that they have rules to define what is OK, and what is not OK. But in all honesty, I think its silly that any D1 car following the rules above could be considered street legal. Do you honestly know anyone who runs a onboard halon type fire system in their street car? hahhaha!! Oh well, at least I now know what is allowed and what isn't. Thanks for the info guys!!

Comment

I read 4wd cars can get bigger into bigger angles than a fr without spinning out....maybe it an unfair advantage

I'm pretty sure taniguchi was champ in 2001....that was the year he was using race compound tyres anyway

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
        Its good that they have rules to define what is OK, and what is not OK. But in all honesty, I think its silly that any D1 car following the rules above could be considered street legal. Do you honestly know anyone who runs a onboard halon type fire system in their street car? hahhaha!! Oh well, at least I now know what is allowed and what isn't. Thanks for the info guys!!
        we maybe don't know of anyone running an onboard halon type fire system, but it may be legal in japan to put in a street car

Comment

I got to see two drift cars. a topsecret s15 and 180sx at super autobacs to day as well as from a distance the revolver 86. see my poster "i saw the revolver 86" but the S15 and 180 i got to stick my head in. In all honestly they are very much "street legal" of course there not registered here. but i mean the interior up front on both wasnt gutted. the rear was, and they have full cages welded in. But there wasnt anythign on it that would keep it from driving down the road if it was lets say an american spec 240 instead of a 180.

Hell they even kept the dash and the sidepanels on the doors. Glass windows all around no lexan. These are very much street cars. even if they arent used for the street.

Comment

The american D1 cars could just register in FL. Everything is legal here. No smog, no inspection, EVERYTHING!

You can get plates on a top fuel dragster in FL as long as it has a title.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
              my car isnt legal according to those rules....

why are engine swaps illegal in japan?
              who said engine swaps were illigal in Japan. There are plenty of shops including me doing it on a daily basis. Legal and all auto to man. not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by aphxero
                The american D1 cars could just register in FL. Everything is legal here. No smog, no inspection, EVERYTHING!

You can get plates on a top fuel dragster in FL as long as it has a title.
                I dont think it gets that seriouse. Say you live in florida and drive to cali do you need to smog your car for the time your there. I think for the states and it being a large area with different rules and regs. pertaining to (street Legal) I would think that they would use the majority of safty regs and or at least Japan safty regs per say.

Comment

Hmmm...I dont think roll cages are legal here...or full roll cages anyways. I think you can only have the back portion of the car. And then have the two door bars...but they have to be able to swing out and not be stationary. O_o

Comment

Originally posted by driftxtreem
                    who said engine swaps were illigal in Japan. There are plenty of shops including me doing it on a daily basis. Legal and all auto to man. not a problem.
                    i had just heard that engine swaps were illegal....thank you for clearing that up for me.

one other q....so it would be legal in japan to but say, an RB26DETT in a S14?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
                      i had just heard that engine swaps were illegal....thank you for clearing that up for me.

one other q....so it would be legal in japan to but say, an RB26DETT in a S14?
                      No swet I plannig on doing a asinine swap. Im puting a 5.7l tpi in a silvia for shirts and giggles and will have now problem with rego.

Comment

hey driftxtreem whuts your name...

if you dont want to give it here send it to my e mail...

couse remember that you telle to ask for you... in the orange team area..

Comment

I think there are more engine restrictions than that. One of our local guys wanted to swap the Chevrolet 4.3ltr V6 into a FC, but apparently it was against D1 rules so he decided to swap in a Honda S2000 motor instead. I dont know exactly what the rules are, but you might want to look into it before doing any crazy engine swaps. I'm just hoping american engines aren't illegal or something because my car is american and it comes with an american engine stock.

Comment

an s2000 motor in your camaro really wouldnt have the same kick would it ? lol

Comment

I think simalr to the JGTC, the rules will never translate correctly... But from JGTC you just need to swap the same brand engine into the car...or same brand drive train. Its obvios that the engine\drivetrain can be changed, or how would a R34 GT-R be able to drift?

Comment

Working...
                              X