Tire Stretching Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Stretching Questions

Wondering if anyone out there knows about stretching tires onto wide wheels. I'm aiming to stretch 255's on a 17x9.5" wheel. Wondering what sidewall would be needed? Also wondering if it would be unsafe at speed with a heavier car. (maybe 265's a better idea?) Finally, wondering about the inflation method, will the bead line up? Or how to inflate a stretched tire properly (will it just catch?). Thanks!!

Im running 215/45/ ona 9" rim on my old Peugeot...it was ni biggie..but thats the tred in europe so every shop knows how to do it...i just took it to ATU in Amberg.. not that this info will help...

Comment

I have never looked into this, but the only thing I'd be concerned about is how well the tire will form with the wheel. I don't know if doing this will make the tire more prone to coming off the rim. They're kind of designed to work on a certain range of wheel sizes. Also, I don't know if this would change the load patterns on the tires. Would it be more prone to failure? Tire wear is another thing. Just throwing out a little bit of caution, lol.

Comment

Crazy we do this all the time on the VIP cars and the drift cars got a little strech. You need to be carefull of it comming off the beed. If the rear is spinning you should be ok but the front in a understere I would worry. Send me a PM and Ill get you the VIP guid to fat tires. Also a cheata will blow them big boys out to bead. Or the old school style. Hook your air up to the valve stem you must have a valve to turn the air on and off. Then shoot some eather or starting fluid in between the wheel and the tire. Drop a match in there and when it goes off hit the air. That will work all the time. Thats how I set the beeds on tracktor tires.

Comment

I plan to run 215's on a 9 inch wide wheel. so your size isn't streatched at all. I have some 255's on 9 right now and there is no streatch so .5 bigger shouldn't make a big differance.

Comment

Originally posted by driftxtreem
            Crazy we do this all the time on the VIP cars and the drift cars got a little strech. You need to be carefull of it comming off the beed. If the rear is spinning you should be ok but the front in a understere I would worry. Send me a PM and Ill get you the VIP guid to fat tires. Also a cheata will blow them big boys out to bead. Or the old school style. Hook your air up to the valve stem you must have a valve to turn the air on and off. Then shoot some eather or starting fluid in between the wheel and the tire. Drop a match in there and when it goes off hit the air. That will work all the time. Thats how I set the beeds on tracktor tires.
            ive seen that done. looks crazy.

Comment

I thought thats how everybody did it.

Real fun with 32" tires on 15" wheels.

Comment

Working...
              X