ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAIJIRO YOSHIHARA to drive TANIGUCHI's old S15.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

geeze

wtf??? this thread got way off track. i have confirmation from dais friend and the owner of ilovedaijiro.com that dai WILL be running a s15 this year. but apparently it wont be until round 3 as the car is comming from the UK

Comment

damn, ran out of pop corn...

GOOD LUCK DAI I HOPE YOU KICK A$$ IN WHATEVER DAMN CAR YOU DRIVE.

Comment

Dai is probably my single favorite driver in the series. The first HKS Silvia looked absolutely mental in black, I always wondered why they changed it. Can't wait to see it in black and gold! (Incidentally my HS colors! )

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
          I never said that there wasn't a skill link between road racing and drifting. Being a SCCA licence holder my self I can safely say my road racing skills don't take anything away from my drifting.

You gotta formulate a budget, gain sponsors, put together a team of techs and drivers, oh yea both sports are run on pavement. But other then that, two totally diferent concepts between the two sports.
          Did I say you completely lost me ? I have no idea what you are trying to say. Bouncing back and forth. Saying no Viper or GTO is ranked nationally, then agreeing with me that they are.

Trying to say that you want to see different cars, then saying on 1% of the drivers are making any money doing it.

I am sitting here trying to figure out if you know anything at all ?

Saying you need more "camber" when you probably have to look up what the definition of camber is. My question to you would be - why do you need more camber ? What inputs are you getting that tell you that you need more camber ? Do you have a lack of front grip ? Have you tried a softer front springs ? Have you taken tire temperatures ? Have you tried a stiffer rear bar ? How about tire pressure changes ?

There are many things you can take from professional road racing, autocrossing, rallying, and apply them to drifting. You might have an SCCA license, but that really means nothing. Until you take and apply some knowledge, you will continue to be clueless.

Each individual driver , and each track takes different "alignment settings". This is true for drifting, this is true for road racing.

A road race setup for a short twisty track is different from a setup for a big track. A drift setup for one track, will be different from a drift setup from another track.

In road racing you use a well setup car to run the fastest times. A car that is easily controllable is easier for the driver to drive fast. In drifting, you use a well setup car to be controllable for the driver, so they driver can make the car do what he wants to do.

If the drift car spins at every turn, its not controllable. It doesn't matter how good he looks spinning, he will not win. In road racing, if the car spins at every turn, he loses because he is slow.
          Last edited by tyndago; 03-11-2007, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Sean, everyone knows that negative camber = JDM and JDM = fast.

Comment

I dont post often for many reasons, mostly because well I just dont want deal with the over opinionated cunts on here but I feel the urge to post so well, here I am and hopefully I wont need to be posting again cause well I just dont have the time for it; poor excuse I know lol

Is it just me or is tyndago's high and mighty view on himself *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing annoying. Your so into yourself its kind of shocking. Just accept that MAYBE its possible for somebody else in this world to have a different view or opinion than you and guess what? That is perfectly ok. I for one agree with blaze1 it would be amazing to see something other than the typical S chassis out there. I also see your side of it when it comes to money, time, and winning; and guess what your right about those points but to be honest I am getting sick of this "win at all costs" mentality that is growing ever more popular lately. I am all for doing whatever it takes to win and say its a great view to have on this sport but when it comes to loosing focus on originality and sticking to the cardboard cut out norm I think that point of view has gone too far. Loosing originality in the sport of drifting for that desire to win is what will put the sport as it is now to death, and I like it how it is now.

Oh well this is just my view on things, like it or not, right or wrong just accept it and stop being such a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* about this and insulting people like a child.

<3

Comment

I'm all for investigating other options than the S15 as well, provided they have a clear cut ADVANTAGE over the S15.

As other combinations are investigated and developed, their advantages become more apparent. Quite honestly, at Long Beach I'd rather have an S2000 or Solstice, a small potent roadster, than an S chassis because I need the nimble characteristics to get around that tight hairpin.

At Wall or Irwindale, I want a nice long wheelbase and a big motor, like a GTO or Charger, so that I can keep stability and speed on the bank with ease.

As they're developed, we're seeing that the 350Z and the Mustang are both solid platforms, and are not excessively expensive either. We've also seen that the RX8 is not as strong a platform (not even Rod Millen could make the RX8 consistently competitive). The S2000 is also growing in popularity.

The S chassis may be eclipsed in coming years as both the supply of usable cars dwindles (they are out of production after all) and as newer cars prove consistently superior. But as we see each time that Kazama & crew come to Irwindale, the S15 is the bog standard that a car has to MATCH to be considered a good drift machine, and has to beat to be a superior machine.

Unless a car has some clear cut advantages ahead of time when compared to an S15, quite honestly it seems a bit ridiculous at the professional level to spend the time and money to try and reconstruct it into a superior machine.

Now, when we're talking the amateur level, up to and including the Pro Am series, you pretty much use what you've got and what you're familiar with, and quite honestly it's probably easier to make your mark sliding something unusual than it is with a seen-it-before S13/14. Grabbing attention at the amateur level attracts sponsorship, sponsorship brings dollars, dollars bring either development or the purchase of more competitive equipment.

So, in that stead, there is a case for "dare to be different" outside of the professional arena. However, once you make it to the top, it costs too much money to not come to the track with the absolute best package you can afford to run. For many teams, an S chassis happens to be that package.

Comment

<b>Saying you need more "camber" when you probably have to look up what the definition of camber is. My question to you would be - why do you need more camber ? What inputs are you getting that tell you that you need more camber ? Do you have a lack of front grip ? Have you tried a softer front springs ? Have you taken tire temperatures ? Have you tried a stiffer rear bar ? How about tire pressure changes ?</b>

Your saying I don't know what Alignment settings are? Want me too tell you why I need more camber, Are you going to help me out or just going to sit up and continue with a meaningless debate thats waaay as hell off topic? I don't have enough front grip, There's not enough tire on the pavement, I'm at -1.5 in the front and -1.8 in the back. Wheels are 15x8 +0 205-50-15. PSI is at 40-45 the max is 51 on my Falken Ziex 512. My friends ae86 is running after market front lower control arms, don't know his caster settings but I can seems to have a lot more grip... I can control it a lot better drifting without spinning out then my miata, then again he has more steering angle from his after market tie rods, thats why I want to increase the steering angle before blaming everything on the lack of camber errrr too much camber since less is more when it comes too it. Toe is out up front and even in the back... you could say its more less set up for grip. Caster is flat out positive also, +5.4 when i got my last alignment. My spring rates are 8k/6k, super stiff up front a little softer damping out back (even during everyday driving). Got any suggestions... btw basically everything on the steering rack up front is connected by the toe settings. I adjust caster it effects the toe, I adjust the camber it affects the toe.

<b>Each individual driver , and each track takes different "alignment settings". This is true for drifting, this is true for road racing.

A road race setup for a short twisty track is different from a setup for a big track. A drift setup for one track, will be different from a drift setup from another track.

In road racing you use a well setup car to run the fastest times. A car that is easily controllable is easier for the driver to drive fast. In drifting, you use a well setup car to be controllable for the driver, so they driver can make the car do what he wants to do.

If the drift car spins at every turn, its not controllable. It doesn't matter how good he looks spinning, he will not win. In road racing, if the car spins at every turn, he loses because he is slow</b>

I'm sorry but didnt I say this already...

"And your acting like I don't know this... but can any of those championship road race cars be ran in FD or D1 without any modification or change of settings? "

Yes... no *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* you need a car setup up for the conditions its going to encounter and the type of driving he is going to do. Your not going to run the same settings griping when you are drifting. But seriously, its just like any sport. In wrestling in football you need strong upper and lower body, good hand and eye coordination, good memorization, good footwork. But somebody who has all that and play football cant just show up too a wrestling match and dominate with 0 concept and training in the sport of wrestling, vise verse. So in saying that, you just cant compare the two diferent sports. "Well so in so is all American football player so he will probably dominate in wrestling", "So and so is a state champion wrestler, so if plays football he will dominate on the field and on the mat". Both sports require the same qualities in a athlete but they have a totally diferent concept. Same goes for racing, both need a well built vehicles and skilled drivers, but there two diferent concepts and require diferent skills. So in return, its not really fair too bring up road racing in a conversation about drifting.

This is really off topic, if you want to disgust drifting lets disgust drifting. Don't throw F1 or any type of road racing statistics and analogies into the conversation.....

oh yea

War Yoshihara!!!!!
                  Last edited by Bebop; 03-11-2007, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Why is this thread a debate and not pictures of the new car?

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                      Why is this thread a debate and not pictures of the new car?
                      Thats the best post in this thread so far

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                        Thats the best post in this thread so far
                        Agreed

wkdlajwla blah blah 10characters limit

Comment

oops nevermind
                          Last edited by Brian; 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Keep this thread on right track guys.

Too much off topic about stuff that isn't related to Dai or the new car.

Comment

Originally posted by FC3slider88 View Post
                              ... But a lot of these guys don't have the means or funds to build up their own cars to competition spec and on top of that be able to afford to drive far from home to events. I could get sponsored, but sponsors don't only want someone who's good, they want exposure and if you can't provide that by attending different events than you are out of luck. Sorry to get off topic, just my 2 cents.
                              If you have a heart, you will find a way, just like everything else in life.
                              Hubert Young
                              KORE 8 Films

Comment

Working...
                              X