No announcement yet.

The D1 Business Model: Bad for Drifting in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think part of the problem is that sponsors of other televised motor sports know that they will be represented while in drifting they must qualify to be aired. Formula D you have to qualify top 16 and D1GP is top 32 to get footage. I think what could eliminate this fear from sponsors at the same time give drivers the opportunity to move up in ranks is to have half of the televised slots pre determined. Example; if ESPN2 Formula D coverage only airs top 16, have the top 8 drivers from the previous season guaranteed slots, while the rest of the pre-qualifiers fight for the remaining 8 televised slots. And if they air the top 32 qualifying runs then it can be 16 fixed drivers and 16 open slots. To make things more interesting you can set it so that if a non fixed driver is a finalist or winner, they get a reserved slot for the next round. Add the points at the end of the season and the top 8 or 16 become the new full time qualifiers for the next season.

D1GP pretty much does this but in a corrupt dishonest manner. This would take the stigma out of fulltime drivers as well as provide an opportunity for other teams to join the ranks
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 04-07-2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
      I think part of the problem is that sponsors of other televised motor sports know that they will be represented while in drifting they must qualify to be aired. Formula D you have to qualify top 16 and D1GP is top 32 to get footage. I think what could eliminate this fear from sponsors at the same time give drivers the opportunity to move up in ranks is to have half of the televised slots pre determined. Example; if ESPN2 Formula D coverage only airs top 16, have the top 8 drivers from the previous season guaranteed slots, while the rest of the pre-qualifiers fight for the remaining 8 televised slots. And if they air the top 32 qualifying runs then it can be 16 fixed drivers and 16 open slots. To make things more interesting you can set it so that if a non fixed driver is a finalist or winner, they get a reserved slot for the next round. Add the points at the end of the season and the top 8 or 16 become the new full time qualifiers for the next season.

D1GP pretty much does this but in a corrupt dishonest manner. This would take the stigma out of fulltime drivers as well as provide an opportunity for other teams to join the ranks
      thoughts????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
        thoughts????????????????
        Bad Idea. Guarantees are bad bad bad for the sport.

Remember, D1 is accused of playing favorites, and alienating a lot of up and coming drivers in favor of their more experienced drivers. If you're hot, you're hot. If you're not, you don't get TV time. Skill and story should be the only thing determining TV time. Look at this weekend - Gushi didn't qualify. Should he have been 'guaranteed' TV time? I don't think so.

Look at other sports. If John Force doesn't qualify in Drag Racing, does he get TV time? no, he's sitting on the sidelines and the people who earned their way into the 'big show' are the ones on TV. Sure, they may interview Force, but they don't give him more than that because he didn't deserve it on that day.

This year is going to be fiercly competitive, as seen by the qualifying on Saturday. This will be a HUGE year for a large number of teams, including teams who haven't reaped rewards in the past.

If you make top 16, you're rewarded. If you miss top 16, you're not. Your results last year matter for last year, and seeding for the first race of the season only.

Comment

Slapshot has it right. There can be no favors - real or implied - in Formula Drift. I do agree that a top 32 ladder for tandem might be a better TV deal for everyone involved (the top 32 teams will burn those tires and that fuel in the first place) but I think we need one more year of active competition before considering that.

What's working right now for many touring sanctions is a "Franchise" system wherein teams that have contracted with the sanction to tour the whole calendar receive a guaranteed amount of money regardless of qualification, usually an amount that covers towing and fuel.

What I'd recommend is that Formula Drift offer the top 32 in points from the end of this year a "Franchise Option" where they sign a contract to appear at every Formula Drift event (with one allowable absence for acceptable exigent circumstances) and in exchange they will receive Tow and Fuel money of a fixed amount regardless of whether or not they qualify for the Top 32 ladder.

This allows local Pro licensed drivers to appear at their FD events and attempt to make a name for themselves, while not costing the long haulers on the championship tour their bread money.

Comment

NASCAR , BUSH, TRUCK , SUPERCROSS, MOTOR GP, F1 AND NHRA does air TV of qualifying of every event. Sponsor money is about exposure, TV time and the number of races you have. Look at all other Race models they cover 20 to 40 events and TV coverage may be on several channels or just one but the event is covered start to finish and almost all cover qualifying and post race interviews with at least the top 10 finishers. The drivers also do sponsor commitments for Radio, TV and local appearances in the week leading up to the race. The teams and event holders have to offer ""more ""to potential sponsors to expand the Professional image of drifting,(and the ability of driver and teams AND EVENT HOLDERS to cover expensives and make a living) like Sam's commercials for his tire and car sponsors. Driver, teams, sponsors and event holders all must work together to ensure the future success of drifting.

Comment

FYI, you will find 2, 10 minute video podcast episodes every week available on www.formulad.com and through itunes keyword: driftzone. These episodes will be an up to date account on the series, the drivers and pertinent happenings within the Championship. This will lead into 7 consecutive weeks of ESPN broadcasts that air beginning of 4th quarter.

Podcasts on itunes are available now and will be up on our website shortly.

Comment

I dont understand why you said the business model of D1 is bad for drifting in usa? You mean the whole DVD thing or the way they run the business in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_EJR View Post
                  I dont understand why you said the business model of D1 is bad for drifting in usa? You mean the whole DVD thing or the way they run the business in general?
                  read the whole thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X