No announcement yet.

Matt Powers V8 S14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This car is insane! who can hate on such a nice sounding car. There is no sr20 or ka engine that can roar like that in NA form

Comment

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ULecEn3NKAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Matt Powers V8

Comment

Even though that engine has alotta power.. im still sick of all these v8 swaps.. kind of annoying.... if they like the american engine so much stop swapping them into jap cars and get an american car....

Comment

how can you even hate on this car or any car in formula d. granted most have swapped to v8s.... do you even understand why though ?? if not is because of the torque and smooth power band higher displacement engines provide.

Comment

Originally posted by valve timing View Post
            how can you even hate on this car or any car in formula d. granted most have swapped to v8s.... do you even understand why though ?? if not is because of the torque and smooth power band higher displacement engines provide.
            I agree.The haters can hate but majority of the time they lose battles in Formula D. To spend twice the amount to build a sr20 to run 500hp instead of just getting a chevy v8 with 400-500hp stock, is not worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Ckmatsu View Post
              I agree.The haters can hate but majority of the time they lose battles in Formula D. To spend twice the amount to build a sr20 to run 500hp instead of just getting a chevy v8 with 400-500hp stock, is not worth it

I'm not really a person who sits and whines all day about a motor. I wish these V8s sounded less like trucks and more like dragsters....but hey! The 4 cylinder in my opinion is still a good option but in my personal opinion there is a missing ingredient these teams leave out when building/tuning these old nissan motors.

And this is FD, nothing but short technical courses and a judging system that tells a competitor to mimic and not penetrate (its like taking the interceptions and sacks out of football). Its all just a huge recipe for V8s to hold a constant advantage. I would love to see some of these FD builds go to Japan and attempt to beat the originators at their own game.

BTW....

There is some sweet stuff going on underneath the car the as well. I'd figured that would pay dividends with or with out the V8.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
                I'm not really a person who sits and whines all day about a motor. I wish these V8s sounded less like trucks and more like dragsters....but hey!
                For that, I think that you'd have to have open headers dumping out behind the front wheels. I would like them to sound more like LOORS or even SCORE trucks, though.

Comment

More people need flat plane cranks for their LS1's, not cheap but the sound would be amazing

Comment

I'm not really a person who sits and whines all day about a motor. I wish these V8s sounded less like trucks and more like dragsters....but hey! The 4 cylinder in my opinion is still a good option but in my personal opinion there is a missing ingredient these teams leave out when building/tuning these old nissan motors.

And this is FD, nothing but short technical courses and a judging system that tells a competitor to mimic and not penetrate (its like taking the interceptions and sacks out of football). Its all just a huge recipe for V8s to hold a constant advantage. I would love to see some of these FD builds go to Japan and attempt to beat the originators at their own game.

BTW....

There is some sweet stuff going on underneath the car the as well. I'd figured that would pay dividends with or with out the V8.
                    yea those Driftworks pieces are works of art.

Comment

The drop spindles are the way to go for geometry reasons. I also have some going through protoyping for the S Chassis, been working on and revising them for a number of months.
                      Going with CNC machined aluminum though to keep the unsprung weight down, and to keep the cost down too. CNC machines run without paying a fabricator to stand there and build them A bit heavy on the up front and development cost, but since we have a machine in house it keeps the part costs lower once in manufacturing.

Its a fun little project. The shop 240 has become a dedicated R&D car now that the 350Z is getting put together for Stevo to drive in local events. To shock everybody, the 240 is even getting a 4 cyl tubo engine. No LS transplant for that car, its not for FD.

Matt's car looked like it was working great at Long Beach. Super happy for him. Hopefully now he gets a bit less grief for the engine swap after that result in Long Beach. I expect he'll rip it up again in Atlanta, that place is a horsepower track and it's obvious he has the talent.

Comment

What would you know ASD??? hahaha

Comment

I'm not really a person who sits and whines all day about a motor. I wish these V8s sounded less like trucks and more like dragsters....but hey! The 4 cylinder in my opinion is still a good option but in my personal opinion there is a missing ingredient these teams leave out when building/tuning these old nissan motors. .
                          That would be experiance. The main difference hear is this is America not Japan. They use the hell out of SR20's, RB's and such because thats what they have avaible. There SR20's, are like our Chevy 350's. Plentyfull and cheap to build (in japan). Its a bit harder and not nearly as cost effective for us to build since we never had any avaible in the U.S.

I would love to see some of these FD builds go to Japan and attempt to beat the originators at their own game.

With drivers with the same level of experiance i'm willing to bet they could eaisily hold there own.

Comment

Originally posted by 5150 Cruiser View Post
                            That would be experiance. The main difference hear is this is America not Japan. They use the hell out of SR20's, RB's and such because thats what they have avaible. There SR20's, are like our Chevy 350's. Plentyfull and cheap to build (in japan). Its a bit harder and not nearly as cost effective for us to build since we never had any avaible in the U.S.

With drivers with the same level of experiance i'm willing to bet they could eaisily hold there own.
                            I'm not talking about skill wise... I'm talking about build wise. The overall outlook on how to build a drift car is totally different here in the states. But even with that being said, there's guys in japan with over 20 years of drifting experience. Our top guys for the most part are in there late to mid 20s lol and have only been drifting for 8-10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ASD Team View Post
                              The drop spindles are the way to go for geometry reasons. I also have some going through protoyping for the S Chassis, been working on and revising them for a number of months.
                              Going with CNC machined aluminum though to keep the unsprung weight down, and to keep the cost down too. CNC machines run without paying a fabricator to stand there and build them A bit heavy on the up front and development cost, but since we have a machine in house it keeps the part costs lower once in manufacturing.

Its a fun little project. The shop 240 has become a dedicated R&D car now that the 350Z is getting put together for Stevo to drive in local events. To shock everybody, the 240 is even getting a 4 cyl tubo engine. No LS transplant for that car, its not for FD.

Matt's car looked like it was working great at Long Beach. Super happy for him. Hopefully now he gets a bit less grief for the engine swap after that result in Long Beach. I expect he'll rip it up again in Atlanta, that place is a horsepower track and it's obvious he has the talent.
                              about how much will these new spindles cost? Also, although a little off topic; what ls engines are in the cars you have competing in formula d? in the sky and 350z?

Comment

Originally posted by Ckmatsu View Post
                                about how much will these new spindles cost? Also, although a little off topic; what ls engines are in the cars you have competing in formula d? in the sky and 350z?
                                Target price is $200 / corner MSRP. ASD doesn't use LS engines in Falken's cars.

Hit me up offline so we don't hijack Matt's thread

Comment

Working...
                                X