ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW YORK TIMES (Drifting: The Fast Art of the Controlled Slide )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW YORK TIMES (Drifting: The Fast Art of the Controlled Slide )

Drifting: The Fast Art of the Controlled Slide

NOTE: You have to register to access this article on nytimes.com.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/07/au...es/07DRIF.html

Drifting at Road & Track U.S. Sports Car Invitational a Hit with The New York Times and CNN Headline News Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca season opener draws national exposure

MONTEREY, Calif. (May 7, 2004) - The national media took notice of last weekend's 2004 season-opening Road & Track U.S. Sports Car Invitational at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with both The New York Times and CNN's Headline News providing coverage of the event.

Today's edition of The New York Times features an article on the front page of the Escapes section written by Chris Dixon, who was at the event to cover the International Drifting Shoot-Out and the phenomenon of drifting.

The feature-length article titled "Drifting: The Fast Art of the Controlled Slide" contains four photos, including a panel of three color images on the front page of the section showing Japanese driver Kazu Hayashida (though misidentified in the newspaper caption as Team R-SR teammate Alex Pheiffer) and Californian Todd Ho drifting through the famed Andretti Hairpin (Turn 2). A black-and-white photo accompanies the second page of the article and captures Tanner Foust (3rd place) and Rhys Millen (2nd place) spraying champagne on Ken Gushi, the winner of the $10,000 winner-take-all event. The second page of the article also contains a black-and-white excerpt from "Initial D," a Japanese comic book that has helped raise the level of
    popularity of the sport.

CNN Headline News featured a Tech TV segment throughout yesterday's programming that also covered the growth of the sport of drifting and was centered on last weekend's International Drifting Shoot-Out at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and 17-year-old Gushi, who doesn't even have a driver's license
    but has been participating in the sport four years.

Drifting involves drivers intentionally and skillfully putting their cars
    into a controlled slide (or drift) at high speed through a marked course, which last weekend had drivers drifting through Turns 2 and 3, then driving under the Yokohama Tire bridge, turning around and stopping before drifting counter-course back through Turns 3 and 2.

"We have a 47-year history of hosting some of the premier motorsports events in the world and, as such, we are constantly evaluating our events and looking for the next major trend," said Gill Campbell, general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. "I think that our decision to plan and promote the International Drifting Shoot-Out was validated with the response from the fans and the national coverage the event received and will continue to receive over the next few months."

Read The New York Times article here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/07/au...es/07DRIF.html

SMOKING Alex Pfeiffer in a red-and-white Honda and Todd Ho in a red Mazda competed last Saturday at Laguna Seca raceway in Monterey, Calif. In drifting competitions, agility matters more than speed.

o man that honda can drift !

This article has alot of errors im sorry to say
    Last edited by MrodDrft; 05-07-2004, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Wow! That's the grooviest Honda Silvia ever!

Comment

LOL. I didnt read the article but after the caption there im not sure if i want to.

Comment

WOW...just wow...how could they mistake an S14 for (of all things) a Honda civic. Just goes to show how ignorant and stupid
          Americans are. Yes i know that maybe the author has no knowledge of cars, but that is just wayyyyyy too different to even mention the same manufacturer. American Journelism at it's best, Lies and rumors.

Comment

Its scary how many little details new stories mess up about cars. Did you guys see the news report going around about the illegal racers who put "25 to 35 thousand dollars into there engines!" and it showed a stock s2000 engine bay. and a guy with a civic and a cold air intake..

The funny thing is Alex was in a honda, a black s2000 not a Red and White S13 being piloted by a japanese driver.

Edit #2 Oh man this just gets better " and Takumi Fujiwara, known as Initial D." Who has EVER called tak "initial d" in the series initial D?
            Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-07-2004, 03:48 PM.

Comment

just another example of why we need to make sure we represent our sport the right way, so people can see and apprecitae what we are doing. We need to educate ourselves (people on this board make stupid mistakes EVERYDAY) and educate everyone who is watching, that is the only way this thing will grow
              Last edited by slide; 05-07-2004, 04:06 PM.

Comment

text was added to the first post in this thread

Comment

Hey stang, Americans are not stupid. Just because some goofball wanting to cash in on the new thing makes a mistake, that does not make Americans stupid. It makes them stupid.

Comment

yea i was laughing too over that Initial D bull karp

Comment

Who cares if he doesnt know about cars, a good reporter will get all the facts. IT makes him look like in idiot one way or another

Comment

Yup. That reporter should be slapped with the Young Dong.

Comment

MESSAGE FROM Chris Dixon-SENT TO DRIFTING.com Via EMAIL
                          Drifters, I read the posts on our screw up in labeling the correct driver in the photos in our article. We're publishing a correction and it should appear in the NYTimes and soon be labeled properly on the website. I felt pretty stupid when I saw that the photo of Kazu Hayashida labeled as Alex P. We hate it when that sort of thing happens -- really, really hate it. Wish I could say how it happened, but I didn't take the photo, so I'm not sure. It was pretty blatant though, I agree.

As for comments on the b-board regarding the article:

MrodDrft said the article had a lot of errors. I'd like to know what they are so we can correct 'em. By that I mean factual errors, not opinions like whether or not a lot of drifters follow initial d. I spoke to a bunch of kids and racers at Laguna Seca, and a lot of them mentioned ID -- even comparing Ken Gushi and his dad, who drifts his WRX to Bunta and ID. While there are surely a bunch of differences -- like the fact that K Gushi ain't a tofu driver, it was interesting to compare the points.

Regarding nissanguy_24: Edit #2 Oh man this just gets better " and Takumi Fujiwara, known as Initial D." Who has EVER called tak "initial d" in the series initial D? The way we capitalized Initial D (which I think is the point you're making) has to do with what's called "publishing style" in the Times. One time, I did an article on a fast electric car officially called the 'tzero'. But due to NYT style rules, the car had to be called the Tzero. I don't make the rules on that.

As for CrazyHawaiian: eh brah, I hope I don' get slapped wit da Young Dong. I might hafta beat da poi outta dat kine bruddah.

Finally, I sure did have a good time blasting around Laguna Seca with Sam H. That was seriously one of the sickest experiences of my life. Realize that my intent with the article was to portray how fun, scary and occasionally dangerous this sport was to a population of folks who have largely never heard of it.

I'm an editor at Surfer mag, so I can relate to you guys when somebody outside your sport tries to portray something and makes a mistake. Happens in surfing all the time.

Sorry bout the photo mixup.

Chris Dixon

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                            MESSAGE FROM Chris Dixon-SENT TO DRIFTING.com Via EMAIL
                            Drifters, I read the posts on our screw up in labeling the correct driver in the photos in our article. We're publishing a correction and it should appear in the NYTimes and soon be labeled properly on the website. I felt pretty stupid when I saw that the photo of Kazu Hayashida labeled as Alex P. We hate it when that sort of thing happens -- really, really hate it. Wish I could say how it happened, but I didn't take the photo, so I'm not sure. It was pretty blatant though, I agree.

As for comments on the b-board regarding the article:

MrodDrft said the article had a lot of errors. I'd like to know what they are so we can correct 'em. By that I mean factual errors, not opinions like whether or not a lot of drifters follow initial d. I spoke to a bunch of kids and racers at Laguna Seca, and a lot of them mentioned ID -- even comparing Ken Gushi and his dad, who drifts his WRX to Bunta and ID. While there are surely a bunch of differences -- like the fact that K Gushi ain't a tofu driver, it was interesting to compare the points.

Regarding nissanguy_24: Edit #2 Oh man this just gets better " and Takumi Fujiwara, known as Initial D." Who has EVER called tak "initial d" in the series initial D? The way we capitalized Initial D (which I think is the point you're making) has to do with what's called "publishing style" in the Times. One time, I did an article on a fast electric car officially called the 'tzero'. But due to NYT style rules, the car had to be called the Tzero. I don't make the rules on that.

As for CrazyHawaiian: eh brah, I hope I don' get slapped wit da Young Dong. I might hafta beat da poi outta dat kine bruddah.

Finally, I sure did have a good time blasting around Laguna Seca with Sam H. That was seriously one of the sickest experiences of my life. Realize that my intent with the article was to portray how fun, scary and occasionally dangerous this sport was to a population of folks who have largely never heard of it.

I'm an editor at Surfer mag, so I can relate to you guys when somebody outside your sport tries to portray something and makes a mistake. Happens in surfing all the time.

Sorry bout the photo mixup.

Chris Dixon

I very much apreciate the serious reply to us BSing about the artical. it was far from the worse in all honesty. My actual complaint was the Character Takumi in the series Initial D, is never referred to as Initial D, he is simply called takumi or tak ect.. Where as Initial D, regardless of capitalization is simply the name of the series. Anyways I do apreciate your writing back here. It is good to know someone understands. I supose guys like us in these kinds of sports (as i see you understand) are always skeptical of any kind of media coverage. Even if its relatively good.

Thank you for a frank reply. If you guys have any further questions about this sport feel free to ask us. We will give you any information you would like.

Also its almost a shame you didnt talk to me at Laguna-Seca i was there, would of loved to give you guys information. (Big white guy wearing the falken tire tshirt, with the S13 and S14 Cars on it, both blue)

Thank you once again.

Comment

Well its good to know that Mr. Dixon understands where we are comin from.

Comment

Working...
                              X