Benson Hsu
    Naoto Suenga
    Ly Quoc

Originally posted by drift matic
    yeah does anybody know the top 5

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonFork
      what brian said..

also, i'd like to say alot of folks went up to the judging booth to complain about the track but if you think about it.. the US d1 guys did it, the jp guys did it as well.. if the people that entered couldnt do it, do you really think they can compete in D1?

Remember, D1 is the BEST of the BEST drifters..
      BUT those USD1 guys had more runs than any of the actual entrants not including the 2 parade laps before they even started drifting.

Also, Nomu-ken, one of my favorite D1 drivers, didn't do well in the signal s15, he was having lots of problems (at least in the beginning). Not to mention how much they got to go around. It seemed like forever

Not complaining, i realize why they had so many demo runs. And the pros will probably do better reguardless of the # of runs, but with the steep learning curve of the course, its not fair to say, well the pros got it. Why can't you do it after 3 practice laps?

Comment

Anybody know how Tsukasa Gushi (Ken's dad) did during the search?

Comment

Originally posted by INFO
          Kouichiro Hamada
          Conrad Grunewald
          Benson Hsu
          Naoto Suenga
          Ly Quoc
          The rest of the top 8:

Tanner Foust
          Ross Petty
          Slonie (omgwtfbbq)

Comment

that's weird, because barry wong was in the top 8 also...

Comment

Originally posted by BensonHsu
              that's weird, because barry wong was in the top 8 also...
              I thought so too, but now I know I should officially give up on typing up results.

Comment

I want to see Ross make D1.It would be nice to see a Hawaii guy make it over,since that place seems forgotten now in drifting.

How did Steve-O rank? Sponsoring him seems like a long shot.Sure he has MTV pop icon status,but I know there's other people that are more than skilled and determined enough to compete professionally,but don't have the fiancial support to get there right now.He on the other hand is well off fiancially.More politics.

Comment

WOOT WOOT A Vienamese guy made it!!!

Comment

Well benson, you obviously qualified, so what did you think of the course? unfair? or just difficult?

i mean it was designed to weed out the best of the best there. It wasnt a Drift day or anything.

Comment

How could the course be unfair? Everyone had to deal with the bumps. The bumps definatly made it challenging to carry entry speed but I'm sure the judges knew what they were doing when they designed the course.

-Conrad

Comment

Originally posted by carcontrol7
                        How could the course be unfair? Everyone had to deal with the bumps. The bumps definatly made it challenging to carry entry speed but I'm sure the judges knew what they were doing when they designed the course.

-Conrad
                        I would have preferred the bump not to have been there, but it didn't give me too big of a problem as long as I made sure to initiate before it and never lift off the gas. I don't think it was as safe as the original course design which was similar to the DD Advance course.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                          Well benson, you obviously qualified, so what did you think of the course? unfair? or just difficult?

i mean it was designed to weed out the best of the best there. It wasnt a Drift day or anything.
                          Right off the bat, we knew what d1 was trying to do... make the course dangerous. This could have been done for a variety of reasons, but I won't speculate and say I know what those reasons were.

To all the drivers, the course was pretty much a mind game... 3 large bumps in succession, right at the initiation point, right up against plastic barriers filled with water. And ahead were the judges with a k-rail wall protecting them. Next to the judges was a big light pole with a water barrier in front of it. None of these things should screw you up too badly... if you had enough driving experience, you should have been able to just had to look past them.

Of course, there was a little strategy required to attack the course. Knowing that the bumps might throw my initiation off, I made sure to start the slide before going over the bumps. Going sideways over a bump is much easier than initiating over the bumps. For those who had less horsepower, they should have noticed a small smooth spot in between the 2nd and last bump where it was good to initiate.

To tell you the truth though... i never once thought about any of the walls or the bumps on the course. people were saying the car was bouncing around everywhere, but i don't remember hitting a single bump while i was out there... i think thats what a lot of people needed to do: believe in themselves and what they've learned so far. Concentrate on the things that are important, like clipping points, initiation points, angle, line, and speed... the more they think about the walls or the bumps, the less they were able to think about the things that would help them do well.

I don't mean to come off as a know-it-all... i was stumbling a lot last weekend and caught myself doing a lot of corrections. Making it to the end doesn't mean I'm very good... I asked Nomuken at the end of the day, and he said the first and second runs I did were bad. And my last run was "just OK". I've got a lot to learn too, but I thought I would share a little bit of what I used to get that far.

Comment

Dang... D1 sounds rigged... I think starting our own drifting sanction sounds good right about now...

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                              Dang... D1 sounds rigged... I think starting our own drifting sanction sounds good right about now...

Matt.
                              His explanation didnt make it "rigged" just difficult. Rigged would of been setting it up so certain cars had a clear advantage. According to benson's post it was just very difficult.

i dont see what effect 'rigging' a driver search would of had on the d1, they were going to pick so many americans anyways. If they wanted to keep the japanese winning they would of set up a super easy course and picked abunch of hacks who couldnt drive. You guys need to understand not just the good drifters go to driver searches. Alot of guys just want to see where they stand, if i was participating thats how i would feel, i would expect to be good, just be curious about how i was compared to the other guys.

now wehter or not d1 is rigged is another question but i dont see that as being the case here.

An thanks for the explanation man.

Comment

Ok SMC, you win...

Matt.

Comment

Working...
                                X