ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many of the ae86 parts fit in the mr2 mk.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many of the ae86 parts fit in the mr2 mk.1?

I have come across a good deal on a 1989 MR2. Considering it needs some work I have been looking at the parts for the car. I understand the 4ag motor is shared by both platforms. Are the transmissions interchangable?
    Are other parts interchangeable???

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You are so going to get flamed for this post but I'd like to help cause I love all things 4ag'd

First off the MR2 is mid engined and rear wheel drive ( I know you knew this ) but as far as the trannies go, think "FF" for the tranny of the MR2, its an tranversly mounted engine and tranny. The AE86 is front engined with a longitudnaly (ignore the spelling, I do) mounted engine and tranny.
    Swap tronics on the MR2/AE86 are as follows (please correct me if I am wrong people):

The 4ag Block Bolts to to any tranny in any car that came factory equiped with a 4age, 4agze, the 20v or any other thing that was 4ag, like the chevy something (sorry I can't remember the name or year) or the Geo Prism GXI or GXLI or some crap.
    Any one of those motors' blocks will bolt to the tranny of a corolla gts or mr2.

The wiring and ecus of different models don't just swap it gets complicated going from a 4agze to 20V or 4age or 4agte.

As far as getting a block or head for the MR2 you are looking at, you may have better luck finding more MR2s or the Geo and Chevies that sported them then an AE86, but they can be had pretty cheaply for the NA.

Axles, Trannies, and mounts do not swap, between the MR2 and 86. Just the Heads and Blocks, and some accerories. Man I can't spell.

Anyway Club4ag.com has an awesome tech section and FAQ you should check out. The MR2 is fun to work on is tight quaters in there.

Comment

I know many may consider this a stupid question but I am new to working with these cars and I just needed to know for sure. Thanks for the info and the link.

Comment

Working...
      X