350mm or 330mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350mm or 330mm

hey guys im about getting ready to buy a steering and cant decide whether to get a 350 mm steering wheel or a 330 mm steering wheel. which one would u guys recommend and why. thanks.

The smaller the diameter of the steering wheel, the quicker the steering.

However, the smaller the wheel, the greater the effort... but with power steering that just means better feel.

Go with whatever you like most... but I'd recommend 330mm.

Comment

What kind of car do you drive? If its small like an AE86 or Miata go 330. My buddy likes his 330 in his AE86.

Comment

I have a 330 in my CRX and it's a bit on the small side with no power steering. A 350 would be nice, but it would also limit room for legs in a little car like a CRX or Miata. If you don't have power steering, go as big as you can without being comfortable. If you do have power steering go with what fits your hands and your budget the best.

Comment

well i have a 97 kouki s14. with power steering. i leaning towards the 330mm steering wheel? what do u guys think?

Comment

whats the size of a stock 240sx SE steeriong wheel..cause i love mine, and im wondering if it is smaller or larger than 330....

Comment

I have a small one on my GT4 and it is awesome, love the feed back.

Comment

actually the stock 97 240sx wheel is larger than my 350 by about another 10 mm i say but its way heavier. u n otice a huge drifference when u change it. its much lighter and much better feel. so yeah guys i think imma go with the 330

Comment

A 330 on a S14 would be about right. Go for it!

Comment

Re: 350mm or 330mm

Originally posted by maverick27
                    hey guys im about getting ready to buy a steering and cant decide whether to get a 350 mm steering wheel or a 330 mm steering wheel. which one would u guys recommend and why. thanks.
                    depends on how big you are as well....a 350mm wheel might seem small if you are 6' 5" tall......LOL

seriously....my supra steering wheel being around 340-350 seems small to me...i am 6'2" tall and a small build

Comment

meh, I drove a big '79 corvette trans-am car with a wheel out of a sports racer (my team-mate that day wanted the wheel I had in the car I was driving, and I had power-steering, so I agreed to swap). It was like 280 mm or something (smaller than a kart steering wheel). It wasn't too bad, but I think it took away a little bit of the precision.

330 mm should be just perfect for your car. Small and quick, but big enough to be precise.

Comment

ok the smaller it is the more you will have to turn it. Do any of you guys know what leverage is. Its the reason why door handles arn't in the middle of the door and semis have huge *Censored**Censored**Censored* steering wheels.

If your drifting i suggest getting a bigger steering wheel i use to have a 12 or 13 inch on and got so lost in the steering. But thats just me but if anything a bigger wheel will turn faster and with less effort.

Comment

I just bought a 350mm wheel. I'll get back to you on how it performs.

Comment

awesome i would love to get some feed back on that. still havent bought a steering wheel because im getting crazy feed back from people who have it. so a real life use situation would be best. thanks bro. i see ur from so cal maybe u can IM me and we can hook up and check out the rides. mines stock but some advice would be good and talking about the things we want is fun too hahaha

Comment

a bigger wheel won't make you turn faster. 15 degrees rotation is 15 degrees rotation, no matter what size the wheel is.

distance = radius * swept angle

therefore:

swept angle = distance / radius

anyone who has taken math should know that the more you increase the denominator (the radius, in this case), the lower the answer will be (the swept angle, in this case). if you reduce the size of the wheel, you will be able to turn it faster, because you won't have to move your hands as far to rotate the wheel the same angle.

The problem with a wheel that's too small is that you lose precision. Because you can turn the wheel so much faster, it's more difficult to be precise. In cars with heavy steering, it's also more of a workout, but that isn't a problem with most cars these days.

The problem with a wheel that's too big is that they are slower. you need to move your hands a lot faster to get that required change of angle.

Comment

Working...
                              X