Thinking of welding my spyder gears on my non-LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of welding my spyder gears on my non-LSD

cant really find a good cheap LSD for my car. (S12)
    im thinking of welding my spyder gears of my rear diff. anyone do this? how did it drift? any issues?

any info apreciated

BzY

I wouldnt reccomend welding the spider gears. You are better off using the Phantom Grip setup for the non-lsd S13 240 diff. I have been told by many that they will work on the the diff in an S12 and are interchangeable.

Comment

very interesting. not exactly sure how phantom grip works, but the s13 have different gear ratios. (but i guess who cares). how sure are you on this? then possibly i could find a stock s13 diff.

Comment

Go to Phantom Grips website (www.phantomgrip.com) and check it out. Even though the ratios are different I am almost 100% sure that this add in piece will work. It is not a TRUE lsd, but it should be effective enough to get you drifting w/o any real issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Onevia S13
          Go to Phantom Grips website (www.phantomgrip.com) and check it out. Even though the ratios are different I am almost 100% sure that this add in piece will work. It is not a TRUE lsd, but it should be effective enough to get you drifting w/o any real issues.
          didn't you put one in your buddies 240?

Comment

Yup and hated it due to the install and the way the peice is fab'ed, but in the case of the S12, which is limited on LSD choices, I would think that this hunk of metal would be a better choice then say welding the diff.

Comment

Do some research on Google. For s13 and s14, the differentials inside are called R200. Now, I think S12 might use the older R180 differentials, but I'm just making an educated guess on that. R180 differentials came in the 240z and 280zx.

Comment

the 240 & 260 Zs had r180 diffs, the 75-78 280Zs, 79-83 280ZXs,& 84-88 300ZXs had r200s. the only Zs that came with lsds were the 300ZXs

Comment

All VG30 and CA18ET S12s had the R200 differential. The CA20 however had the R180. And the early 84 model CA20s with solid axle had an H190 i believe.
                  Last edited by s12turbo; 12-04-2003, 11:57 PM.

Comment

As for welding the spider gears, yeah it will work but not recommended for a daily driven car. If this was a track only car then go for it. Dont expect it to last that long, but it will work. The reason its not recommended for a daily driven car is because doing this causes issues when going slower speeds and making turns (like turning into a shopping center for example). Your car will make all kinds of whack noises (tire screatches) and vibrate all crazy. Not sure on the technical explination, but has to do with the inside wheel being forced to turn faster than it usually would (since the outer wheel is turning faster). This means the inner wheel will do mini burnouts. Maybe it would be cool if you wanted to scare innocent bystanders.

Comment

weld it. locker diff.
                      drifts great

Comment

Working...
                      X