Go Back   DRIFTING.com > DRIFTING Technique > DRIFTING Technique Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Toyota Soarer

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2003, 05:02 AM   #1
7akumi X

Send a message via AIM to 7akumi X Send a message via Yahoo to 7akumi X
Toyota Soarer

Anyone know how much the Toyota Soarer weighs? I hear everyone say its heavy...how much does it weigh? The guy that drifts the Soarer I think said that the biggest weight gain was made in the doors and hood carbon fibered. This, this car is muh dream ride! V8 Motor...256 HP...5spd option hopefully, do you guys think Lexus or Toyota makes a compatable 5spd transmission to mate to that engine if I can only get an automatic one? Its got 4 cams, I thought that was pretty impressive, what does having 4 camshafts do to help the car? THANKS GUYS!!! :]
7akumi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:14 AM   #2
J-BloodAE86

Send a message via AIM to J-BloodAE86
having four cams isn't a big whoop, its just dual overhead cams on both sides of the V. Each side of the V is like a seperate inline four, so think of it like both inline fours have DOHC.
J-BloodAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:08 PM   #3
adam
MONKEY MAN

prob with soarer is its weight...just like in the mag you read, you gotto do alot to lose weight, and thats undoubtedly means spending alot of money for something, that does look good, but unfortunately is not very practical.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:46 AM   #4
CrazyHawaiian
Sample One Time!!

To check the weight check out the Kelly Blue Book website (www.kbb.org). Just because a car is heavy dosnt mean its not a good drift car. A lighter car is definately preferable, but a heavy car (3000+ pounds) can be a good drift car if you set it up right. As for the motor and 5 speed issue, I think the answer is a motorswap. Dont think the V8 ever came with a stick. The 1UZFE is definately a nice V8 (you should be more exited about the torque than the horsepower), but its not commonly raced. Because of this its hard to find performance parts. The common swap is the non VVTi 2JZ-GTE (Supra Motor) with the 5 speed tranny.
CrazyHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Takumi X

Send a message via AIM to Takumi X Send a message via Yahoo to Takumi X
The 5spd was a factory option on the V8 I belive. Or was that on the V6 twin turbo...? They made a V6 Twin Turbo in Japan for the SC400, wonder if thats the 5spd I was thinking about.... The kelly blue book page is not workin. When I recive the car I dont belive a motor swap willl be te answer. Maybe a tranny swap to the 5spd if toyota makes a SC400 compatable 5spd. The motor though I would like to keep the V8, cause you know its got that throaty sound that every V8 has if you open up the exaust ;D Dont think this is just a flick cause I saw it in that damn magazine adam. In fact you just stated what we already knew, thanks Hawaiian your post was sincere and strait forward, in return, a sincear thanks. In turn, the cars heavy, up the power ratio to make it just a good a drifter as any other.
Takumi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:53 AM   #6
CrazyHawaiian
Sample One Time!!

ask boro240

Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 08-05-2003 at 07:09 AM.
CrazyHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:41 AM   #7
boro240

Soarer had 3 engine options (no TT in the US).
-1JZ-GTE (2.5L Twin Turbo I6)
-2JZ-GE (3.0L N/A I6)
-1UZ-FE (4.0L N/A V8)

i LOVE missinformation...
boro240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:21 AM   #8
emission

Send a message via AIM to emission
couldn't have said it better boro
emission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:35 AM   #9
JonnySlick

Location: Just Moved to Crossville, TN from Las Vegas ... wow what a change!
Send a message via Yahoo to JonnySlick
Quote:
Originally posted by boro240
Soarer had 3 engine options (no TT in the US).
-1JZ-GTE (2.5L Twin Turbo I6)
-2JZ-GE (3.0L N/A I6)
-1UZ-FE (4.0L N/A V8)

i LOVE missinformation...
YES. and the usdm version was only optioned w/ the 2JZ-GE and the 1UZ-FE.

but can you imagine how easy (relativly) and phat it would be to swap in a mk4 supra 2JZ-GTE. nice!

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/sc300_turbo.shtml
JonnySlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:19 PM   #10
Takumi X

Send a message via AIM to Takumi X Send a message via Yahoo to Takumi X
Beautiful
Takumi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:25 PM   #11
marshun
stop spreading disinfo

Send a message via AIM to marshun
i like those cars too. and i do believe that if you set it up right it will be easier to drift. but to do higher speed drifts you'd want more grippy tires... and that is cash. hehe.

isnt the 2JZ-GTE a direct drop in?

oh yeah arent all the sc400's auto and the sc300's come in both.
marshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #12
JonnySlick

Location: Just Moved to Crossville, TN from Las Vegas ... wow what a change!
Send a message via Yahoo to JonnySlick
Quote:
Originally posted by marshun

Q1) isnt the 2JZ-GTE a direct drop in?

Q2) oh yeah arent all the sc400's auto and the sc300's come in both.

A1) kinda sorta....i mean you need to redo the ecu and electronics and if you're putting in the 6 speed tranny then you need all the stuff to go with that also and install it (more cutting and fabbing). also i'd imagine you'd have to reroute some lines and figure out creative ways to make things fit just perfet...but essentially yeah. it's the same motor just w/ a couple of turbos hanging of the side of it...you just gotta' make it all fit back in there.

A2) some of them came in manual tranny form from what others have told me. but they are kinda' rare as this was more of a luxury car and rich old men and women were the ones buying it originally....but yeah, that did make some in the US w/ MT and i think they were more common in the SC300. also, they were the 5 speed (like the N/A mk4 supra) not the 6 speed.

*note: there are 17 M/T SC300's on autotrader.com and 2 M/T SC400's on autotrader.com right now*

1998 SC400 M/T:
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=537

1995 SC300 M/T:
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=512
JonnySlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:12 PM   #13
mkorsu

Sorry Guys but the SC400 NEVER was produced with a manual transmission. The 5-sp manual was only available on the SC300 and the 2.5TT. Toyota didn't make any trans compatible with the 4.0 engine.
The only thing I can think of is checking to see if the Tundra was released with a manual. If so, it may be possible to customize to mate up to the SC400's 4.0.
mkorsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 09:46 AM   #14
AlexPfeiffer
Driver

only one out of about 75 sc300's came with 5 speed.

I have one and love the car. Its basicly a NA supra MKIV, all the chassy parts are the same. Its like getting a SR5 rather then getting the GTS, but its still pimp.
AlexPfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #15
Tsunami

I believe the 4.3L GS430, or 4.7L Tundra V8's will fit in your car, though I do not know if there are parts available to do such a swap. I do know that there are aftermarket parts for the Tundra V8, such as blowers and exhaust systems, so you can make an easy 350hp from the motor, and will have boatloads of torque, something you'll want in a heavy car. As far as transmissions go, again I'm no expert, but Rod Millen was able to adapt a Supra 6-speed to a 4.3L V8 when he swapped it into an IS300. And from what they said on Rides, the V8 is only a few lbs heavier than the Supra's 2jz (Inline 6, twin turbo, 3.0L).

Don't get me wrong the 2jz swap is a great way to go, but if you love V8's like I do then you should try to make it work. Then you'll have something you like better, and something makes the sweetest sound on earth. But if there aren't any parts for the V8 swaps then the 2jz is THE way to go.

The MOST difficult thing you will encounter when you try to drift a heavy car is weight. You'll have to battle momentum. The car will understeer in the corner and when you try to power-over the car the rearend will come around FAST. To drift these big, heavy cars you have to use the brakes to get the weight on the front then use a feint technique (rocking the car) to get it to slide. It will be very difficult, I've been practicing a year or 2 with my 3500lb V8 Thunderbird LX, and have only been successful on a couple of occasions. It takes tons of practice to drift a light little 240 or 86, let alone nearly 2 tons of car.

And don't let Ueno's D1 Soarer (Japanese name for the SC) or Rhys's GTO fool you. Even though these 2 cars are very heavy they both have had several hundred pounds of weight removed from them to make them competitive.

But I'd love to see a V8 powered SC400 out there. It's sound great and look good. And don't let anybody tell you you can't drift a V8--YOU CAN.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #16
DriftGirl
HighSider

Car is ez to strip down. I had the first carbon hood in the US and the first carbon trunk in the world for the SC...Thats about 100lbs right there. (trunk isnt really heavy tho)

Stock seats weigh a ton..dump em.

The car is a bit old to me now, but I do wanna put a 5spd on the 1uZ before I get rid of it.

Yes it used to drift very well
DriftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #17
Spy001

Send a message via AIM to Spy001 Send a message via Yahoo to Spy001
could anyone verify if Alex P's statement is accurate, or just an exaggeration?(only about 75 sc300s with m/t) Not that im doubting it, just excited, my homie picked one up and got a great deal......
Spy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #18
DriftGirl
HighSider

Not sure if they're that rare... Maybe, but thees not a huge demand on them yet.

You shouldnt have a hard time finding them if you want one...they're everywhere
DriftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #19
Spy001

Send a message via AIM to Spy001 Send a message via Yahoo to Spy001
woo good to hear...maybe my boy was just unlucky.....after 2 years of searching, buying n selling cars, hes only found one, and he kept it himself
Spy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:45 PM   #20
mranlet
Smokes Dynamite

Reducing weight doesn't HAVE to be expensive:

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...?threadid=6453
mranlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #21
ahbongkadah

There aren't too many out there. Only SC300s came with a manual transmission. I've been looking for about a year now and haven't found any in my area. If I do it's always a nasty color. There are quite a few in the east coast.
ahbongkadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #22
drunkcarlos

Not sure how many stateside 5speed there were, but in Japan the 5 speed soarers are rare and if you had a 5speed chances are it was a swap from 1jz 70 supra. Course you can buy the whole swap kit new from toyota for the 1jz for about $3500 too. Course I got lucky with mine cause it came with the 5 speed swap already done.

The think you have to remember about Ueno's soarer is that his only weighs 1400kg(somewhere in that range) with all the titanium nuts and bolts replacing the steel ones and and all that carbon fiber too. Stock 1jz soarer weighs in at around 1800kg.

The SC/soarer is not a beginners car by any means like Tsunami said the weight is an issue, but if you've been driving for a while upgrading from an ae86 (for example) is relatively easy to do. the car feels like ae86 on steroids with the extra power moves like a ae86 and with the longer wheelbase can hang it out much further and longer than ae86 mostly due to weight of the car. The car is not as hard to drift as people make it out to be, the added weight is an issue, but if you run a good line you can make things happen. Course having the twin turbo makes things lots of fun too.

Driftgirl, can you give me some info on where you got your carbon trunk? I've searching for a carbon trunk in Japan and no one makes one that I have found yet.
drunkcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #23
_PG_
Got a date with Lady Luck

Jim! Howdy partner. I found an interesting fact the other day... JZX series cars actually weigh in a few kilos lighter than Soarers. Whoa.
_PG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #24
drunkcarlos

yeah pretty crazy isn't it... they use about the same spring rates too... 18k front and 12k-14k rear... pretty sick... thinks its that crazy 1JZ that adds all that weight

Think If I had it to do over again I'd get a JZX90 Cresta... so much more part available and much cheaper too, plus 4 doors are awesome too..
drunkcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:46 AM   #25
_PG_
Got a date with Lady Luck

Yeah... I am partial to the 110s, but shiiiiiit i couldn't afford those till i graduate and start getting paid at a design studio. Luckily by that time they will be the price of 100s now and I'll be in Australia where its legal to import JZX with 1JZ or i'll be working in Japan... And car designers get paid bank. (Well i consider it a lot becuase my life consistes of drifting and tuning, not buying fancy clothes and houses n sh.it) So I want to grab a Verossa with BN Sports aero and bonnet, 18 inch TE37s, good coilovers, a new manifold and TD06 or something kinda big, decent boost, make around 400-450. MMmmm.

Hey, been meaning to ask you, how's it drifting touge with a big car. I see no problem on the street or track, but the tighter mountains.... any hints? A lot of power and no weight transfer? LOL.
_PG_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: